Visiting companies, a good idea?

Clint.thee.trucker:
An update for all the kind people that have given me advice. So this morning (Thursday) I set out with shirt and tie on. Folder with all my docs in, rucksack with all my work gear in and a list of companies to vist. On the way to the first one on my list I had to pass one that I put an application form into a few weeks ago. I though well maybe it won’t hurt to pop in and see them. So I went in and said to the receptionist that put an application in but didn’t hear anything. So she took my name and went to see the company director. After a few mins she came back and said " he wants to see you, he will be out in a few minutes". Following that he came out and invited me to his office. “bloody hell” I’m thinking. We done the introductions and he said “how weard is that, I was just looking through our application forms and look who’s was on top the pile” yes it was mine!!! A pile that was 2 inches thick. He was about to write to me to invite me for an interview but said seeing as I was already there he would do a quick one now. So we went through the company history. I told him about myself and my career prospects. He then told me about the vacant position. He then took me for a walk around the depot and to meet a few people. What he said next I couldn’t quite believe. He said" here’s the deal, I like what you have told me about yourself. I know you are a new young driver but that doesn’t bother me one bit. And you have inspired me by getting off your arse and go looking for work. So 7am tomorrow morning (Friday) I want you to be here, to take that lorry out there (a 10T scania) with one of our guys. If you enjoy it and your prepared to work hard. The jobs yours!!!"

I couldn’t belive it. In the space of half an hour I went from being a new driver with no experience at all , to a new driver with no experience at all with massive opportunity to get my first job as a proper professional driver. So 7am it’s game on.
I can’t thank people enough for their kind support and advice.
I will post how it went when I get back this evening.
:grimacing: :grimacing:

Regards

Clint

Wow that is amazing. I’m really pleased for you. Well done. :slight_smile:

Well done mate!

What does the Job entail, apart from the driving part of it obviously?

I’m in the position you now find yourself out of, although i have my C+E to do in a few weeks.

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy yourself at your new job. The only bit of advice I can give is don’t rush it and take care. You don’t want to dent it in your first week (second week maybe :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:)

Hi all. Another quick update. So took the truck out and prob couldn’t have gone any better. Spoke to the boss when got back to the yard and said I really enjoyed it and could see myself doing that as a job. So was basically told. Go away and think it over on the weekend. If I still want it phone him Monday morning. Bit of a no brainer really.
I would deffinatly recommend especially to new drivers about visiting companies. U never know!!

Cheers once again

Clint.thee.trucker:
Hi all. Another quick update. So took the truck out and prob couldn’t have gone any better. Spoke to the boss when got back to the yard and said I really enjoyed it and could see myself doing that as a job. So was basically told. Go away and think it over on the weekend. If I still want it phone him Monday morning. Bit of a no brainer really.
I would deffinatly recommend especially to new drivers about visiting companies. U never know!!

Cheers once again

Sounds like a decent boss

I had the same prob but trying to get C+E. I sat and updated my CV and posted it, along with a covering letter, to 35 local companies. Currently, I start a new job on Monday morning with Truswells in Barnsley. I’ve had an offer of a job this lunchtime and I’ve also had three other companies call me about a job.

As you said, get off your ■■■■ and do something and you will find yourself in the driving seat of a truck.

Good luck with the new job and make sure you keep us all posted on here.

Paul Gloria Meadows:
I had the same prob but trying to get C+E. I sat and updated my CV and posted it, along with a covering letter, to 35 local companies. Currently, I start a new job on Monday morning with Truswells in Barnsley. I’ve had an offer of a job this lunchtime and I’ve also had three other companies call me about a job.

As you said, get off your ■■■■ and do something and you will find yourself in the driving seat of a truck.

Good luck with the new job and make sure you keep us all posted on here.

hi im living in barnsley and am looking for class 2 work were abouts have you been looking as just moved to the area and cant find any companies that have any vacancies

hi,
just to keep you all updated. had a think about my fabulous offer on the weekend and im gonna go for it. at the end of the day im not gonna get an offer like this again especially being a new driver. so phoned the boss up on monday and said i would like to accept his offer. great he said you start next monday 9am for your induction and then told me a bit about the pay and benefits ect. its not great pay to start with and i will be taking a pay cut. thats one thing i couldnt understand. im on more of an hourley rate in my current job working in a supermarket than this new job is driving a truck :question: :question: , although the pay does get better throughout the year with this new job and its longer hours which you get paid for plus bonuses. and always overtime if you want it. its a mon - fri job which is very rare. any way its a first step on the ladder and i have to be realistic about it. and it is only 6 miles away from where i live so bit of a result. also my current employer has been flexible enough to allow me to still do a few hours on a friday evening so its a little bit of extra wonga. anywhoo. ill keep you all posted on how the induction goes monday.

clint

Well done hope you enjoy it & yep a pay cut sounds bout right for this industry but hope it all works out for you & goes well

Good luck & keep us informed