virginia

they looking again, ive applied and interested, what was the prob as i thought they would have so many applying, was it idiots expecting too much etc

I applied and got an email back saying thanks but no thanks - this was a couple of months ago.

I got the same response when I applied to drive coaches for the olympics, 2 weeks later, a coach from Heathrow to the Olympic Village was 4hrs into it’s journey when the driver admitted he didn’t know where he was going - somewhere around Birmingham he thought he might’ve took a wrong turn :unamused:

I may not be the most loveable person (arrogant arse is the usual description), but at least I’m not a frickin’ idiot who gets lost, wrecks equipment or just generally incapable of doing the job :grimacing:

There are other companies out there that will give you a decent truck, half decent work and let you wear your own clothes.

Remember one thing when applying for a job with an Irish company you will be working for 20% less wages than if you worked for an English company!
For instance if you earn €100 Euro a day that is only £80 quid at todays exchange rate.
They would want you to have an Irish Bank Account to pay your wages into & despite whatever anyone may tell you about getting your money exchanged you will lose lose at least the 20% I mentioned + any charges your own Bank may put on …

Realistically you get about £760 per €1000 Euro & there’s no way to transfer it through the North of Ireland, etc. As some people write about on here, it’s a myth!

Virginia have lost a good bit of work too, due to McCulla offering a better service on a contract out of Liffey Meats in Ballyjamesduff, Co Cavan.

The ‘craic’ in Ireland is Walton Transport are looking for drivers too but same old story … All Flash & No Cash …! IN TO THE DRIVERS POCKET THAT IS - WHERE IT MATTERS.

you’d have thought that bloke who drives for them would say something about this post

snowchain:
Remember one thing when applying for a job with an Irish company you will be working for 20% less wages than if you worked for an English company!
For instance if you earn €100 Euro a day that is only £80 quid at todays exchange rate.
They would want you to have an Irish Bank Account to pay your wages into & despite whatever anyone may tell you about getting your money exchanged you will lose lose at least the 20% I mentioned + any charges your own Bank may put on …

Realistically you get about £760 per €1000 Euro & there’s no way to transfer it through the North of Ireland, etc. As some people write about on here, it’s a myth!

Virginia have lost a good bit of work too, due to McCulla offering a better service on a contract out of Liffey Meats in Ballyjamesduff, Co Cavan.

The ‘craic’ in Ireland is Walton Transport are looking for drivers too but same old story … All Flash & No Cash …! IN TO THE DRIVERS POCKET THAT IS - WHERE IT MATTERS.

Who you on for?

kindle530:
you’d have thought that bloke who drives for them would say something about this post

You mean Luke (switchlogic)?

dar1976:

kindle530:

You mean Luke (switchlogic)?

There are enough posts about the company for someone to make their own mind up on this really .

I’ve got nothing to say, because as soon as I do bitter know it alls that have never worked here shout me down. My views on this company are fairly public, don’t need to get into another slagging match with idiots on a forum.

snowchain:

And talking of bitter know nothings. I take it you weren’t aware we got most of that work back and McCulla do a fraction of it now. Better service eh?

Not to mention that being very very old news and your at least two years behind. But please, don’t let my facts get in the way of your speculation…

switchlogic:

snowchain:

And talking of bitter know nothings. I take it you weren’t aware we got most of that work back and McCulla do a fraction of it now. Better service eh?

Not to mention that being very very old news and your at least two years behind. But please, don’t let my facts get in the way of your speculation…

I wouldn’t really say I was bitter, perhaps a little mis-informed I’ll give you that & I will apologise if I have upset you or anyone else with what I wrote but my post was merely to point out the pitfalls really of working for a Southern Irish Company where the currency is the Euro (in Eire) not Sterling as it is here in England & to give the chap who applied for a job with Virginia Transport the heads up on wages, etc. I did mention another Irish Company though in my defence your Honour.

To enlighten me though on my stupid non knowledge of the Transport Industry in general could you perhaps tell me & other ‘Silly Billy’s’ like me as a paid employee of Virginia Transport did they not just cut the rate to get some of the work back to places where they had worked hard to procure return loads from?
Or indeed are the Company just looking for additional drivers to fulfill other contracts they have been successful in acquiring & although again, it doesn’t really concern me, why are the Company advertising here in England? If indeed they are!
Please continue to furnish us with more of your facts though & your videos too, they are good!

As I understand … Virginia aren’t actually “advertising” in England … they have an ad ( if you want to call it that ) on their WEBSITE … which has then been posted on T/net … but not by Virginia.

The Rustler:
As I understand … Virginia aren’t actually “advertising” in England … they have an ad ( if you want to call it that ) on their WEBSITE … which has then been posted on T/net … but not by Virginia.

Nothing to do with Virginia! I posted the ad as there was a lot of interest last time when there was only 5 vacancies! A jobs a job! And there are a few on here who live in Eire!

I’m sure that any sensible driver will know if the job/money is for them or not! :laughing:

Ok then I’ve been drawn in so I might as well share some info. I started here at the age of 29 and it was my 19th job, I’ve now been here over 5 years. So that says a lot. Family company run by 4 brothers, and 4 nicer people you couldnt wish to meet. If you look after them they’ll look after you. Id say this is a company that would suit an old school driver. You have to use your own initiative some times. They won’t call out Scania because a bulbs blown or an airline has snapped. They’ll expect you to sort it, which i like. They are careful with money but the trucks want for nothing, any problems they’ll get you straight back to yard for repair. Another misunderstanding is this talk of bling, and that its all flash no cash. They dont do bling. They buy well specced trucks that are up to the job. So you’ll have a fitted fridge and an aircon pod but no lightbars and sidepipes. I get paid into a UK account and the money is neither amazing or awful. Somewhere in the middle. Its a daily rate and we are not pushed hard. And NEVER EVER asked to break the law. People have been sacked for breaking the law of their own accord. You’ll not have them on the phone every 5 seconds. I only ever text them for reloads and if I have a problem. Otherwise you won’t hear from anyone, they just keep an eye on you with the tracker. Don’t expect to come and do back to back euro work either. We do a lot of UK now. Its a case of doing what your given. We got the Liffey work back because we are bloody good and McCulla couldn’t cope. I dont know about rates but we are not known for rate cutting. We lost the Liffey work because we wouldnt cut the rate. They came back when they needed someone reliable. Being a family company they put a high importance on family meaning they’ll never mess you around if you want the weekend at home. I have never been refused a weekend off or in fact been moaned at for it like some companies I’ve worked for do. Give them notice and you’ll get home. Likewise if you had a family emergency while out on the road they’ll do everything they can to get you home. I personally think this aspect is very important for a tramper.

So to sum it up Virginia are a good family company with a good fleet, ok pay, a large variety of work and friendly office staff. Like I say if you look after them they will look after you. If all you want to do is ■■■■■ and moan about the work and call Scania out to change a lightbulb then best look elsewhere.

People may think im sucking up to them but I’m just telling you how I see it.

I remember the way Virginia responded when Switch had a mishap recently! I thought that said it all for me how good a firm they are to work for! :smiley:

It seems Luke that some of the vile reserved normally for Stobart has crept in for you and Virginia logistics and it’s a real shame! :unamused:

I blame your laptop! Where are our videos you ■■■■■■■■ :laughing:

switchlogic:
Ok then I’ve been drawn in so I might as well share some info. I started here at the age of 29 and it was my 19th job, I’ve now been here over 5 years. So that says a lot. Family company run by 4 brothers, and 4 nicer people you couldnt wish to meet. If you look after them they’ll look after you. Id say this is a company that would suit an old school driver. You have to use your own initiative some times. They won’t call out Scania because a bulbs blown or an airline has snapped. They’ll expect you to sort it, which i like. They are careful with money but the trucks want for nothing, any problems they’ll get you straight back to yard for repair. Another misunderstanding is this talk of bling, and that its all flash no cash. They dont do bling. They buy well specced trucks that are up to the job. So you’ll have a fitted fridge and an aircon pod but no lightbars and sidepipes. I get paid into a UK account and the money is neither amazing or awful. Somewhere in the middle. Its a daily rate and we are not pushed hard. And NEVER EVER asked to break the law. People have been sacked for breaking the law of their own accord. You’ll not have them on the phone every 5 seconds. I only ever text them for reloads and if I have a problem. Otherwise you won’t hear from anyone, they just keep an eye on you with the tracker. Don’t expect to come and do back to back euro work either. We do a lot of UK now. Its a case of doing what your given. We got the Liffey work back because we are bloody good and McCulla couldn’t cope. I dont know about rates but we are not known for rate cutting. We lost the Liffey work because we wouldnt cut the rate. They came back when they needed someone reliable. Being a family company they put a high importance on family meaning they’ll never mess you around if you want the weekend at home. I have never been refused a weekend off or in fact been moaned at for it like some companies I’ve worked for do. Give them notice and you’ll get home. Likewise if you had a family emergency while out on the road they’ll do everything they can to get you home. I personally think this aspect is very important for a tramper.

So to sum it up Virginia are a good family company with a good fleet, ok pay, a large variety of work and friendly office staff. Like I say if you look after them they will look after you. If all you want to do is ■■■■■ and moan about the work and call Scania out to change a lightbulb then best look elsewhere.

People may think im sucking up to them but I’m just telling you how I see it.

Why explain yourself to these bitter people, the only reason the ■■■■■ is because they wont your job but we all know they wouldnt last 5 minutes without jumping on the phone asking for their hand to be held.

dessy:
I remember the way Virginia responded when Switch had a mishap recently! I thought that said it all for me how good a firm they are to work for! :smiley:

It seems Luke that some of the vile reserved normally for Stobart has crept in for you and Virginia logistics and it’s a real shame! :unamused:

I blame your laptop! Where are our videos you [zb]? :laughing:

That’s what I remember and is why I applied, I would not normally apply to an Irish firm since I’m in the North West of England, but I’ve seen a few of Lukes posts and thought it was worth a punt.

They didn’t want me - probably got much better experienced or qualified or more local drivers applying, but there was no harm in applying.

Wait, Luke is 34?! :astonished:

I think Switchlogic has put the case for Virginia Transport across really well & I for one applaud him for his loyalty & dedication, fair play to you Sir.
Whatever take anyone had on any previous posting I made to this subject may, I feel have been taken out of context somewhat as it was merely really to point out the pitfalls of working for a Company that pay in a different currency . . .
Switchlogic wrote: (I get paid into a UK account and the money is neither amazing or awful. Somewhere in the middle. Its a daily rate and we are not pushed hard. And NEVER EVER asked to break the law.)
Surely though if my somewhat limited interlect serves me in anyway correctly I cannot see Virginia Transport or any other Transport Company for that matter taking the hit on the Currency Exchange & any Driver that chooses to work for an Irish, Dutch, French, Belgian, German or whichever European Transport company, not based in England is ultimately going to lose out, as they are not going to pay an English Driver more than their other Drivers get at the Euro rate! or am I missing something?

There’s no big drama as regards currency exchange. I get paid in euros and my bank converts it. As I say my take home wages are perfectly fine and would be about the same if I was doing similar work for a UK company. Like I say its ok. Exchange rate goes up and down, some you lose some you win but its certainly not as bad as portrayed. Like I say, my take home wage is neither awful or amazing.