[VIDEO] Some very awkward cab moments with a learner

if i was learning under his instruction id have finished the lesson once back to yard ripped him to bits poor lad alright he is a bit dodgy on the rd but being spoken to like that when feeling under pressure and stressed does no one any good :unamused: it may have only been his second lesson in and still trying to get used to the truck i remember when i did my first session in class 1 after day 1 i felt quite down hearted about it all thank god i had a good instructor who seen my strong points and sorted out my weak points

Peter Smythe:

looks like an Atherton route

It’s a Sheffield route. And the instructor is one of those great fellas that doesn’t agree with instructor registration. In fact, he’s so professional he thinks it’s a good idea to mount a camcorder in the truck and then upload the results to utube.

And if any instructor working for me behaved like that he’d be down the road very quickly. Shouting just demonstrates the instructor’s lack of ability to control the lesson and is never justified.

Having said all that, there’s nothing particularly strange or unusual in what is shown in that video so far as candidate performance goes. But it’s made worse by the instructor’s comments.

Good luck all, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter,

You really baffle me, ok you are a registered on the voluntry DSA list you have a DSA approved test centre all credit for you working ■■■■ hard to get that and you have to be congratulaed however what gives you the right to slag off other instructors … you really need to get your head out of your bottom and mind your own … and worry about your own problems until the list is mandatory you have no right in slating people for not being on the list.

Sorry for the rant but your attitude can put some new drivers off of going to a school just because they are not on a voulantary DSA list.

discoman:

Peter Smythe:

looks like an Atherton route

It’s a Sheffield route. And the instructor is one of those great fellas that doesn’t agree with instructor registration. In fact, he’s so professional he thinks it’s a good idea to mount a camcorder in the truck and then upload the results to utube.

And if any instructor working for me behaved like that he’d be down the road very quickly. Shouting just demonstrates the instructor’s lack of ability to control the lesson and is never justified.

Having said all that, there’s nothing particularly strange or unusual in what is shown in that video so far as candidate performance goes. But it’s made worse by the instructor’s comments.

Peter,

You really baffle me, ok you are a registered on the voluntry DSA list you have a DSA approved test centre all credit for you working ■■■■ hard to get that and you have to be congratulaed however what gives you the right to slag off other instructors … you really need to get your head out of your bottom and mind your own … and worry about your own problems until the list is mandatory you have no right in slating people for not being on the list.

Sorry for the rant but your attitude can put some new drivers off of going to a school just because they are not on a voulantary DSA list.

The DSA list is voluntary, but it is the best we have got, until there is a structured exam for instructors with periodic checks, we will get ex lorry drivers who think they can teach, they may be able to drive, but they also have to put nervous people at ease and coach them. I do believe there are some natural drivers and some are taught properly, the end result is the same.

There are many who have passed a test but were poorly taught with poor instruction. I remember my first foray into this was the mid 70’s I had been driving HGV three after passing my test with United Carriers and I had a couple of Class one lessons paid by me in my own time. The instructor just sat there reading quotes out of the police manual, Roadcraft.

When it came to the reversing exercise it wasn’t even a properly marked out area and he just sat in the cab without teaching me anything useful. I came away from my second lesson vowing never to go back and signed up with the RTITB for a 4 day course, 3 days in training and a test. I passed both tests first time as I did my bike test, through proper training methods.

I also agree that making comments based on whether an instructor is on a somewhat tenable DSA voluntary list is well out of order however, the comments on how the instructor is actually doing it is very reasonable.

Not all instructors on the DSA register are necessarily good ones
Instructors who are not on the list does make them bad ones

Many instructors who were on that register have decided not to re-register for many reasons amongst which is cost and a realisation that it does not make them any better than what they already were before they went on it

I would say that from reading many many posts from newbies, the majority of LGV instructors are very good whether they be on the DSA voluntary register or not
If the reverse was true then we would have posts that reflect that

Is that an Iveco I hear? :laughing:

discoman:
Peter,

When I first became a qualified instructor I thought I would bring all my own “methods” to the table and once passed my part 3, DSA was going out the window.

How wrong I was, DSA instructional methodology works in the same way advanced driving methodology works. It takes out the emotive and deals with driving in a concise way, giving the driver or the instructor tools they can rely on.

It may seem robotic but only to those who don’t understand it, the great shame is that there is very little market from the emotive public who are taken in by the “I’m your best pal act”. Professionality like most things these days seem have taken a back seat.

MADBAZ:

Peter Smythe:
…he’s so professional he thinks it’s a good idea to mount a camcorder in the truck and then upload the results to utube…

…But it’s made worse by the instructor’s comments.

+1

I wonder if he’ll respond to my comment on youtube.

there are 12 similar uploads on the stupidinstructorchannel

Peter,

Thanks for the congratulation
I have no right to slag off other instructors - when did I do that apart from the camcorder comment (is that really slagging someone off?)
My head doesn’t fit in my bottom - but I’ve never actually tried it
Got no problems - but thanks for the concern
Not slating anyone not on the DSA list
I aint got an attitude
People can make up their own mind where they go for training - but the approvals demonstrate that an instructor/school has proved their worth.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
[the approvals demonstrate that an instructor/school has proved their worth.

Depends what others think of the organisation that is sanctioning that worthiness

The way I think that an instructor is of worth is when they get recommendations and good feedback from those they teach

We have all seen cases where bits of paper do not for a good ‘anything’

Depends what others think of the organisation that is sanctioning that worthiness

As you are well aware, it’s the Driving Standards Agency - the people who conduct everyone’s driving test. So think what you will, there is no other reasonable authority.

The way I think that an instructor is of worth is when they get recommendations and good feedback from those they teach

Agreed. But if a wannabee cannot get a recommendation they are left to fend for themselves and get sucked in by impressive websites. Of course, they may stumble across a very good non-registered instructor as well.

We have all seen cases where bits of paper do not for a good ‘anything’

Sorry, don’t understand that.

Rog, have you reconsidered going on this useless register, someone might employ you as a “qualified” instructor, there are plenty of good training schools around Leicester, even Mansfield is not the end of the world

WoW interesting thread. Personally the video is about 2 minutes of an 8 hour day. Clearly taken day 1 or 2 at best.

To spice things up a bit why not all instructors on this site make a video say 2-3 minutes of a candidate on day 1. To be consistent and fair lets all record teaching a candidate to turn right at a standard roundabout. Then let the viewers judge.

How many trainers want their style made public ? Lets see

Regards

John
Flair Training

It was the trainer/instructor that records and uploads anyway.

LGVTrainer:
WoW interesting thread. Personally the video is about 2 minutes of an 8 hour day. Clearly taken day 1 or 2 at best.

To spice things up a bit why not all instructors on this site make a video say 2-3 minutes of a candidate on day 1. To be consistent and fair lets all record teaching a candidate to turn right at a standard roundabout. Then let the viewers judge.

The instructor chose to record the video then put it on Youtube on a channel he chose to call “StupidDriversChannel”, an instructor taking the ■■■■ out of one of his trainees :unamused:

The instructor chose to take the ■■■■ out of one of his learners, the instructor chose to put the video on Youtube, now it seems to have back-fired on him I fail to see what he would have to complain about.

Pupils don’t make mistakes on purpose, thats why they are LEARNERS thats why they have L Plates. It does not matter that they already have a car licence. The guy took a wrong turn at an R/bout, its the instructors JOB to find out why NOT TO SHOUT.

(fault ID).Pull in ask the pupil why he’s taking the wrong exit.

(Analyis) Could be for various reasons , doesn’t understand the format of the directions or He doesn’t understand certain types of more complex r/bout layout. Thinks he must position the LARGE truck differently on r/bout etc etc.

(Remedial Action) Help the pupil understand by simple diagram or explanation get the pupil to feed back to you his understanding of what you’ve just explained. Keep in mind or even note down the problem areas and offer the pupil lots of HELP and ENCOURAGEMENT in the specific areas he struggles with.

SHOUTING HELPS NO ONE.

Pupils do not make mistakes on purpose if he didn’t make mistakes what the hell does he need an instructor for.

All pupils have strengths and weakness, praise the strengths (show he’s not completely incompetent) helps confidence. Work on the weakness, make sure you and the pupil are aware exactly what they are, knowing the problem areas are half the battle.

P.S that “instructor” in the Video is nothing of the sort. Victorian father and screaming Fuhrer directives are not valid instructional techniques.

Wheel Nut:
Rog, have you reconsidered going on this useless register,

I did at one time because the company I was working for wanted me to but a problem occured to which the DSA refused to budge on and that was the HPT because it involves trying to see 3D images (Depth) on a 2D screen
My brain don’t see that sort of depth unless the screen stays still for a few seconds - like a still picture - I miss lots of stuff shown on the TV because of this
As I teach hazard perception for the advanced driving my MP tried in vain to get the DSA (DfT) to allow cross accreditation as the advanced was certainly a higher standard and done in real life but all to no avail - had a file almost an inch thick with all the correspondance at one time!!

Regards

John
Flair Training

Count me OUT!! Can’t imagine a less professional thing to do. To mount a camcorder when the trainee is probably quite apprehensive enough is ridiculous. To then upload the results are scandalous.

There can be no consistency. Any experience instructor knows that day one varies as much as English weather.

As for “style being made public”, I believe reputation is built to a great extent on style as it is style that contributes so much to effective tuition. But professionalism also encompasses confidentiality. There is no way would I ever discuss a specific trainee in a public forum without their express permission e.g. if they had asked a question on the forum. “Style” is checked upon entry to the LGV DSA Register and on every re-registration test. It also needs to be infinitely variable to be appropriate to the character and previous learning and knowledge of each candidate.

So, sorry, but I aint playin’!! Pete :laughing: :laughing:

There is no Style there are only core comps. Style is down to personality but to leave out core comps will not result in effective training. The video could have show the same problems not being ADDRESSED by someone putting on the best pals act i.e no shouting ect but still not teaching effectively.

Fault ID - Fault Analysis - Remedial Action. If your not doing them your not teaching. Some good truck instructors may not be using this terminology but I bet the most effictive ones if they though about it were actually using this system. It is the basis for all effective teaching not just driving.

Find the problem, fill in the blanks then ask the pupil to demonstrate the newly learned skill. If they can’t rinse and repeat until they do. The most important thing for an instructor to remember is to home in on the most serious problems and not to nit pick ■■■■■■■■ that does not affect safe driving.

Sorry if this seems like a lecture, being new to this industry does not wipe out 10 years of being a DSA ADI. Personally I don’t understand why the whole thing is not regulated like class B.

There is no Style there are only core comps. Style is down to personality but to leave out core comps will not result in effective training. The video could have show the same problems not being ADDRESSED by someone putting on the best pals act i.e no shouting ect but still not teaching effectively.

Fault ID - Fault Analysis - Remedial Action. If your not doing them your not teaching. Some good truck instructors may not be using this terminology but I bet the most effictive ones if they though about it were actually using this system. It is the basis for all effective teaching not just driving.

Find the problem, fill in the blanks then ask the pupil to demonstrate the newly learned skill. If they can’t rinse and repeat until they do. The most important thing for an instructor to remember is to home in on the most serious problems and not to nit pick [zb] that does no affect safe driving.

Sorry if this seems like a lecture, being new to this industry does not wipe out 10 years of being a DSA ADI. Personally I don’t understand why the whole thing is not regulated like class B.

Thanks for the information. I don’t agree with you - of course there is style. Naturally there is also core coms. Style comes with years of experience and will never overide core comps.

Maybe, when you’ve had your licence long enough, you would like to put up a demonstration video to show us all how it should be done - - without style of course.

In the meantime, enjoy getting your LGV driving experience. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Thanks for the information. I don’t agree with you - of course there is style. Naturally there is also core coms. Style comes with years of experience and will never overide core comps.

Maybe, when you’ve had your licence long enough, you would like to put up a demonstration video to show us all how it should be done - - without style of course.

In the meantime, enjoy getting your LGV driving experience. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter thats about the most condecending remark I have ever read on a forum, I’m still a fully qualified ADI, and my LGV “experience” is coming along fine thanks, I’m not some kid who got a driving licence yesterday.

I said style was down to personality trust me the DSA only hand out certificates for core comps if you have a DSA lorry ticket it was core comps they were looking at. You can get a very congenial, friendly and stylish instructor who’s instructional technique is not as good as someone who is not as “friendly” or “stylish” but is the technically better instructor.

P.S you made my point for me you condecended the fact that I had not had my class 1 and 2 long but forget the fact that I am a fully regularly tested ADI. The best driver in the world does not always the best teacher make. That is why there is a part 3 the fact that I have recently taken to driving lorries is not the POINT.