[VIDEO] Some very awkward cab moments with a learner

youtube.com/watch?v=-bdFdyva … ideo_title

eek. I’m not putting this video up to take the ■■■■ out of him, just very awkward.

:open_mouth: Hopefully the examiner(s) make(s) sure that he never sees a licence in his name.

I agree the learner shouldn’t be on the road in an LGV vehicle, but in my opinion the instructors teaching technique also leaves a lot to be desired :open_mouth:

tachograph:
I agree the learner shouldn’t be on the road in an LGV vehicle, but in my opinion the instructors teaching technique also leaves a lot to be desired :open_mouth:

Was thinking that myself, swearing a lot etc :neutral_face:

Sam Millar:

tachograph:

Was thinking that myself, swearing a lot etc :neutral_face:

I was thinking more about the way he asked “if you go backwards what happens ?” just as the learner was negotiating the junction at the lights, and then seemed to panic when that yellow car was approaching, if the instructor can’t stay calm how the hell does he expect the learner driver to stay calm.

In my opinion throughout the video the instructors attitude didn’t seem to be conducive to good instruction and I can’t help wondering how much affect it had on the learners poor driving.

tachograph:
In my opinion throughout the video the instructors attitude didn’t seem to be conducive to good instruction and I can’t help wondering how much affect it had on the learners poor driving.

Same opinion here

Poor trainee was so nervous he got ‘lost’ on roundabouts and the instructor expected him to remember what exit to take from an instruction given earlier and yet there was plenty of waiting time for traffic to clear in which the instruction could have been stated again along with asking the driver to point at or state a landmark acknowledging which exit he should be heading for

The instructor could also have done the exit count at the roundabouts to assist the trainee

Even i wasn’t that bad on my lessons :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: ,

The instuctor in that video just made matters worse though, yelling and making the lad panic even more, Even though he was already not very good, and those bloody wipers scraping the screen didn’t help either!!! :unamused: .

Oh dear me .
I am saying nothing untill i finnish my course but at least the instructor is not shouting and balling ( Because he has had a bed day ) :wink: … as any one who is training knows the instructor is that difference between a pass and a fail . … and if your nervouse to start with things just go down hill …I dont know for sure but that looks like an Atherton route … :question:

Wow what a poor instructor, his commands seemed ill timed and poorly judged. Im no expert but for me he made the trainee extremeley nervous and gave a total loss of confidence.

The instructor could perhaps be better but I’m not seeing much wrong with his instructions. He shouldn’t have started a lengthy discussion with him when he ■■■■■■ up on the roundabout, but as the kid driving is so utterly hopeless I think his frustration and comments are fully justified. Even when the guy was calm the kid completely ignored his instructions and drove where he wanted. :open_mouth:

Rob K:
The instructor could perhaps be better but I’m not seeing much wrong with his instructions. He shouldn’t have started a lengthy discussion with him when he [zb] up on the roundabout, but as the kid driving is so utterly hopeless I think his frustration and comments are fully justified. Even when the guy was calm the kid completely ignored his instructions and drove where he wanted. :open_mouth:

Plenty wrong as the instructor did not tailor the instructions to fit the learner

With a trainee like that the idea would be for the instructor to talk the trainee through every second until they were certain that the trainee was capable of doing more for themselves

looks like an Atherton route

It’s a Sheffield route. And the instructor is one of those great fellas that doesn’t agree with instructor registration. In fact, he’s so professional he thinks it’s a good idea to mount a camcorder in the truck and then upload the results to utube.

And if any instructor working for me behaved like that he’d be down the road very quickly. Shouting just demonstrates the instructor’s lack of ability to control the lesson and is never justified.

Having said all that, there’s nothing particularly strange or unusual in what is shown in that video so far as candidate performance goes. But it’s made worse by the instructor’s comments.

Good luck all, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

The problem is that many of those mistakes were very basic and he probably shouldn’t be having LGV lessons yet, he needs some more basic driver training in a car with dual controls.

The instructor wasn’t very clear and I did feel the panic in his voice, but he will never replace Bob Newhart :stuck_out_tongue:

The instrutor isn’t too bad but probably not very suited to the trainee though as he comes across as very nervous. I noticed at 1:50 he said second exit to the right, well to me that would of been straight on.

Peter Smythe:
…he’s so professional he thinks it’s a good idea to mount a camcorder in the truck and then upload the results to utube…

…But it’s made worse by the instructor’s comments.

+1

I wonder if he’ll respond to my comment on youtube.

MADBAZ:

Peter Smythe:
…he’s so professional he thinks it’s a good idea to mount a camcorder in the truck and then upload the results to utube…

+1

Like it

MADBAZ:

Peter Smythe:

+1

Blimmy didnt think you had it in you.

An S.E would have ripped that instructor a second [zb] on a check test, very poor instructional technique. And what the [zb] was he talking about roll backs for, if the pupil had a history of roll back take him to some hills and work it. Don’t remind him when he’s doing a right turn at busy junction and distract him into making further faults.

I wasn’t particularly interested in becoming a HGV instructor when my licence matures but it looks like the “industry” could do with the help. :wink:

nice to see as pete said around sheffield well masborough on the rotherham parkway and it is a mare! esp the roundabouts as some car drivers expect you to guess which way they are going!! and yes the examiner was very rude. which training school was it i wonder ■■

but all in all did make me chuckle as i was trying for the breaks on a couple of occasions :laughing:

Redrorry:
I wasn’t particularly interested in becoming a HGV instructor when my licence matures but it looks like the “industry” could do with the help. :wink:

Unfortunately there is no realistic mechanism for LGV instructor training and checks

In flying pig land it would be nice if all paid vehicle instructors had a check system where they were seen doing the actual job with a trainee at the wheel by a decent governing body