Vehicle Damage

Everyone tells me it happens but when your first starting out you feel a complete ■■■ the first time you damage a vehicle and have to tell the boss. Car came round the corner and there was nowhere to go but just happened to be a branch perfect hight to take the mirror off :blush: course had everyone was asking me if I needed a new mirror for the rest of the day, did manage to carry on and get another 5 loads done with only one mirror. Ive learned from that mistake now I hope and hopefully it dosnt go against me too much (still on a trial basis)

Stuff happens :wink:
Just like the wagon driver who hit my car this morning :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You’ll be fine. A mirror is a damned site cheaper than an insurance claim between you and the car.

Due to the excesses imposed on most trucks and buses, if there’s minor damage (upto a grand) to another vehicle, it just gets paid out, so the mirror isn’t bad.

You’ll learn that when it’s really tight, just come to a complete stop, have a look, if you can maneuvre a bit further over, that’s fine, but if not, let the other person do the work and suffer any damage.

I especially do this if I’m going through a gap and someone decides to come through, I just stop, if they hit a stationary vehicle then they’re 100% to blame and it also gives that bit more predictability so you can go through that bit closer.

Are you the guy that put the pic of it on the HGV drivers forum on Facebook?

Yes, got a thread on here to :laughing:
I was bored and couldnt sleep :laughing:

I was just reading that on Facebook. I know even the most experienced drivers make mistakes but it feels worse when your a rookie and still trying to proove yourself

It does happen. I wouldn’t have kept going with only one mirror on though, that is a recipe for disaster. Going to assume it was the n/s by what you described.

I know what you mean, I had my licence for years but only recently started using it in anger and I too was on a test period and thankfully have been incident free but like yourself there have been close calls through no fault of my own.

As mentioned the cheaper option is a mirror than a claim and any good boss will see that :wink:

Dont let it worry you too much or shake your confidence, the next day will be better :sunglasses:

It happens to us all iv had a nightmare week lost two mud guards off trailers somehow :open_mouth:

As others have said - it happens. After the first close call or incident you stop worrying about stoping, taking your time and having a look.

It’s easy to feel under pressure and move a bit quick because your worrying about holding people up etc…

At least your ‘crunch’ was minor - no biggie! I also would head BTB with a mirror missing though - don’t risk another incident!

Race Trucker:
As others have said - it happens. After the first close call or incident you stop worrying about stoping, taking your time and having a look.

It’s easy to feel under pressure and move a bit quick because your worrying about holding people up etc…

At least your ‘crunch’ was minor - no biggie! I also would head BTB with a mirror missing though - don’t risk another incident!

Depends which mirror really. But in reality, you can manage without - as she proved, you’ve just got to be that extra bit careful - PLUS back to base might’ve been as far as doing the drops on her way back :wink:

Trucker-Lass22:
you feel a complete ■■■ the first time you damage a vehicle)

I’ve got that feeling every time its happened.

Some times its completely unavoidable anyway.
I done a mirror glass about 18 months ago on the Exeter to Barnstable road. Me- taking it nice and easy round a blind bend that was fairly tight at maybe 25-30mph. Tipper man coming the other way at 40 plus has no chance of slowing or stopping in time making me bale off into the trees on the N.S. smashing the mirror.
What was worse is I had to fill in a bloody accident form for that and a please explain FFS :unamused:
■■■■ happens.
My relief driver broke one over Christmas whilst I was off and didn’t say anything :angry:

Truckerlass, who are you driving for now, you not on Sains’s anymore?

DJC:
It does happen. I wouldn’t have kept going with only one mirror on though, that is a recipe for disaster. Going to assume it was the n/s by what you described.

You’d probably find that it’s illegal to drive minus a mirror?

Lucky it was just a mirror. 2 of our 13/63 plate trucks have hit trees that have been blown over towards the road after the recent winds. Both box bodies and roof skins are ruined.

Good job vosa never pulled u over would uptake a vehicle out at start off shift with only one mirror value your licence I’m sure your boss values his o licence

DJC:
I wouldn’t have kept going with only one mirror on though, that is a recipe for disaster. Going to assume it was the n/s by what you described.

+1

Women obviously don’t need mirrors though. How many female car drivers do you see driving around with their wing mirrors folded in? :unamused:

Contraflow:

DJC:
I wouldn’t have kept going with only one mirror on though, that is a recipe for disaster. Going to assume it was the n/s by what you described.

+1

Women obviously don’t need mirrors though. How many female car drivers do you see driving around with their wing mirrors folded in? :unamused:

Here we go, didn’t think it would be very long before the perfecto drivers rolled in :unamused:

I find it very easy to forgive a driver that’s had a mirror collision, provided it’s not every week. I’d struggle a lot more to forgive carrying on without it for the rest of the day really.

If you squished a cyclist and had no mirror it probably wouldn’t matter if it was their fault or not and you’d do more jail time.

I’ve had the odd shunt, mirror, bumper end, rear mudguard, usual stuff, happens to all of us one time or another :blush:
Honesty is the best policy…if it was your fault, own up, tell the guv’nor, don’t try to make excuses, you’ll get more respect from him if you do, than trying to cover it up with a load of bull++it…A lot of bosses were drivers themselves, they know the crack. :unamused: