Vehicle costings

Hi all
I due to go live in a few weeks. I’ve been going though the costs to make sure I get them all right, however I feel that I’m missing something. …
Truck ( leased)
Fuel
Driver
Parking
Insurance
Vat
Mis overheads I. E. Statonary etc
■■?
■■?
■■?
Any pointers would be appreciated

Hi hubman,

Have you considered all of the different kinds of insurances you’ll need?

How about Light, Heat, Water and Phone(s)?

Admin costs (or admin staff.)

The office/depot rent or rates

Security costs?

Lease payments

You haven’t said what type of traffic you’ll be carrying, so there may be extra items of kit for the vehicle and PPE for the driver to consider.

Oh, and I nearly forgot to make sure you hadn’t forgotten the tea bags! :smiley:

I have cover all insurances along with phone, rent and lease payments.
Did not think to include ppe as we will need to replace it. We have no administration staff but have put stationery under misc overheads.
We don’t have any utility costs but can go on the list tho.

As you haven’t included maintenance, I presume it’s on some sort of R&M lease? What about tyres?

albion:
As you haven’t included maintenance, I presume it’s on some sort of R&M lease? What about tyres?

Hi albion,

My thoughts exactly… so I typed it all out, then re-read the OP and spotted “leased,” so I then backspaced a lot of what I’d written. :blush:

:bulb: He had forgotten the tea bags though! :grimacing:

The lease includes all R&M including tyres except punctures and blowouts.

o/licence, tolls? Does the truck take adblue?

Thanks. Didn’t think about o licence and adblue.

Hi
I have all my costs written down and some costs are estimates like fuel usage ad blue usage etc,
-however how do you guys estimate your annual mileage?
-and general costs like fuel usage, (I have worked out on general haulage about 9mpg) ?
-do you price per job based on day rate plus ppm once over say 100 miles?
-just day rate or just ppm ( bad idea if entering London )?

would I be right to estimate my annual mileage at 120,000km for a tramper ?
what is the ratio of adblue to fuel usage?

9mpg too high for starters!!!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Surely if your about to start up you already have the work lined up so you would already know what the rates are going to be ?

I have read a few reports on the MAN and they are about 9mpg average,
I have got the work as stated but I want to get my calculations right for quoting for work from other sources.

I’m looking at starting on the boxes at the tail end of next year so I have got myself placed with a company who already subs to Maritime so that I can get an idea of average mileage, mpg returns, number of Saturday run ins etc.

This should have been one of your first steps. Find someone doing the job you want to do, or at least get as close as you can, then write EVERYTHING down!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Work on about 7.25 mpg as a minimum

I have spoken to someone to works for the same customer, they run a different vehicle i.e. shape and age, I were told the average fuel used per week (in ££s but this changes weekly) but not that persons MPG ,another told me its 9 mpg and the test drives on my vehicle all come in about the same. I am estimating 120K km per year on personal experience and am wondering if anybody gets near that.
These may seem silly questions, I just want to double check and make sure I have got the right info and not put us in a bad position.

I do about 120k a year , i use roughly 800 quid a week of diesel and thankfully no more adblue but when it was working right i used about 80 litres a week

I take it is in KM,s ? Thanks for your help Chaversdad, glad to know in on the right track

120km pa seems a bit low?

iguana:
120km pa seems a bit low?

Based on the last two weeks subbing for Maritime, the wagon I’m driving will do 93,600 km over 12 months as an average. Im sure that number is a bit off because you cant base a year of two weeks but if you go +/- 15% that still leaves you at 107k a year. Only if you are double shifting would a 120k mileage limit be an issue.

But a Maritimes rates you would have to double shift it to make anything. Remember what ever anyone says they usually will work you to your foster earnings is min 1500kms per week while making you burn as much diesel as possible while keeping there trucks as close to base as possible.