vans

im currently looking into running a lwb van doing uk/euro work as i might have a chance of work coming up. so i have a few questions

1. whos the best fuel cards on the market for uk/europe & where can they be used

2. decent companies for GIT & public liability insurance

anything else you think is relivent

Hutchie:
im currently looking into running a lwb van doing uk/euro work as i might have a chance of work coming up. so i have a few questions

1. whos the best fuel cards on the market for uk/europe & where can they be used

DKV can be used at most garages in Europe or if as an owner driver probably get a good (or even) better deal with a credit card.

Hutchie:
2. decent companies for GIT & public liability insurance

This is really a case of shopping around but don’t forget the Hire + Reward insurance including annual green card.

Hutchie:
anything else you think is relivent

If you are having a van on rental tell them you will be taking it abroad.
Even if it’s a brand new van get good EU breakdown cover. Speaking from experience should you need to use it, at the time you will think its the best idea since bread let alone sliced bread.
Even though you are offered work make sure it will pay.
Build up a good rapport with a few UK/EU companies you never know when you will need them, even to use their ferry account if you get stranded.

what breed of van u goin for hutcie

if its a sprinter watch out as the lwb version is a twitchy [ZB] but other than that their crackin vans

and look in to gettin the dealer to limit it to 80mph a lot easier on fuel when u do this

Defo go for a sprinter, we have 5 and they just keep going, most being 10 years old :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

thanks ben,

not sure yet farmer just waiting to see what comes up at the time

as removalboy said the sprinter is a crackin van imho better than a transit or ldv

farmer:
as removalboy said the sprinter is a crackin van imho better than a transit or ldv

yes, but the VW is the same van but cheaper to buy and maintain :wink:

shuttlespanker:

farmer:

yes, but the VW is the same van but cheaper to buy and maintain :wink:

Different engine though.

Not sure about European work as its nothing I have experience of.

However, I would be concerned about European breakdown cover and possibly personal health insurance in case you become ill/injured when you’re out of the country.

I don’t know what you will do with nights out etc. I’ve seen conversions where the bed sort of folds out into the load area when its needed, yet sits behind the driver during the day?

I would look carefully at the fuel consumption of different vans. I was looking for a car-sized van and bought an Astra but I nearly went for a Transit Connect until I checked the fuel figures. The little ■■■■■■ was doing 40mpg, the Astra 46mpg. That 6mpg will make a massive difference to your costs over the course of a year for the work your doing.

Try looking on the COD Forum run by Mike George, loads of good advice like on this site if you filter out the crap. a few members from here too.

One thing you will be shocked by is the high cost of insurance once you mention courier work, not worth risking private imo

codforum.org.uk/

there are others out there hutchie

[ps u driven on the big bad motorway yet ] :wink:

aye a couple of times high tower

Wheel Nut:
Try looking on the COD Forum run by Mike George, loads of good advice like on this site if you filter out the crap. a few members from here too.

One thing you will be shocked by is the high cost of insurance once you mention courier work, not worth risking private imo

simple way round that is to insure it as Light Haulage, but definately do not mention courier or express deliveries, it will be cheaper :wink:

I got my GIT insurance very cheaply from gilesinsurance.co.uk/ who charged me under 200quid for a years 25k GIT and 5m PL.

Paul

Ford transit= backbone of britain. MK6/7(currant model) are a good van imo, had them as works vans for 7years and never let me down, always got me home regardless of conditions. Not the best with the old tin worm after a few years but if its new buy a mettalic (an extra coat of laquer) and get some waxoil on the underside and should last. If its a 3.5t get a 125ps(older) or a 115ps(newer but same torque as 125) heard the new common rail engine is not the best(135MK6/140MK7). And check what diff is in it for mpg.

hutchie speek to zeebedee and pm maverick theyll give the best advive you ever get also look on courierworld.co.uk

a couple of things to consider the older shape sprinter is better on fuel and has better payload than the newer one

ring round for an account with P and O and its a much cheeper crossing than the tunnel. how regular is this work goning to be is there a limit on the age of van to be used on the job for insurance your looking at 3kplus git PL and most important cmr cover for the euro work

what payment terms are you lookng at this has a massive influence on cash flow

think long and hard before you enter in to this

onething to look at if you could gwet away with something like a vivaro lwb then that would give you much better fuel economy for the same wight payload as a new shape sprinter

Someone mentioned they were selling new pre reg Maxus vans for £6200. I haven’t seen one yet though :open_mouth:

Wheel Nut:
Someone mentioned they were selling new pre reg Maxus vans for £6200. I haven’t seen one yet though :open_mouth:

Are you sure■■? at that price it looks like the zero’s are the wrong way round. £00.62p is still too much for an LDV.

alix776:
onething to look at if you could gwet away with something like a vivaro lwb then that would give you much better fuel economy for the same wight payload as a new shape sprinter

Or the Nissan Primastar which is the same vehicle, as my neighbour has one, and it was cheaper when he bought it new on a 55 plate, than the equivalent VX/Renault model.

Ken.

Mr Hutchinson, why ask about vans on a truck forum?

As has been mentioned, look at …

www.codforum.co.uk

www.shed5.co.uk

www.courierexchange.co.uk (VERY expensive to join so just look around & try & get a trial!)

www.courierworld.com

Finally, I have a Xlwb 4.2m Sprinter, 04 reg with only 140,000 genuine miles, all set up for Euro work (1st aid kit, triangles, high viz etc) available to hire or buy if your interested