Van + Trailer & 7.5 tonner Advice

I’ve recently found out the first two parts of my lgv training will be Van & trailer and 7.5 tonner. can anyone offer advice on driving, reversing & anything else that springs to mind for these vehicles?

Hutchie

Hutchie:
I’ve recently found out the first two parts of my lgv training will be Van & trailer and 7.5 tonner.

WHY :question: :confused: :confused: :confused:

cause thats what the company wants to do

so let me get this right…

your company wants you to do the training & TESTs for B+E, C1, C and then possibly C+E :question: :question: :question:

it looks that way yes ROG

would it not be better to ask them if you can do c1 then c1+e which will get you b+e as well?

My tip would be drive as the instructor tells you too even if you don’t agree with it, they teach you to pass the test which is what you want!

Your expected to drive like you did on your car test but to a higher standard as your now experienced, so practice observation, propper hands on the wheel, propper use of signals & gears, sign reading etc in your every day driving to get into the habbit.

Hutchie:
I’ve recently found out the first two parts of my lgv training will be Van & trailer and 7.5 tonner. can anyone offer advice on driving, reversing & anything else that springs to mind for these vehicles?

Hutchie

What sort of employment are you in?

You might aswell ask to do your catergory C and then C+E, it’ll save the company money and most of all stress on your behalf instead of doing 5 tests. :slight_smile:

NikNik

You might aswell ask to do your catergory C and then C+E, it’ll save the company money and most of all stress on your behalf instead of doing 5 tests. :slight_smile:

true it would save them money

but at the same time if thats what they want to do i wouldnt complain

not a lotof companies willing to pay for ur training

farmer:

NikNik

true it would save them money

but at the same time if thats what they want to do i wouldnt complain

not a lotof companies willing to pay for ur training

I agree but at the very least be doing C1 and C1+E, not B+E, C1 and possibly C1+E.
It’s got to be a good company if they are putting him through the training, but do they know that you can jump catergories in order to gain lower ones without doing the lot.

hutchie i honestly think they should just put you through your c and then your c+e

then when youve passed them get you out on work with the sprinter and trailer,t hen work up to a 7.5 tonner then up to the big boys, less hassle and less money wasted

also youll have to sit 2 theory tests.

one for your b+e and one for youe c1,/c/c+e

or you could bypass all that, sit one theory and sit 2 tests

plus where do you know in scotland where you can sit a c1+e test? :S

didn’t have to do a theory when i did b+e, when did that come in?

Cynic-al:
didn’t have to do a theory when i did b+e, when did that come in?

IT HASN’T !!

just to make sure I called DSA to confirm :slight_smile:

i thought there was, my bad.

still seems a waste to do that test, cause car trailers are a pig to reverse

give me a 45 footer over a halfords special anyday.

I must admit there are is only two schools locally that do C1+E training, I asked when I done me ‘W+D’ familiarisation course with a local school, he said there was no need for that requirement in this area.
But each area of the country differs so there could be a need elsewhere. I personally don’t see why people just don’t do the C+E course, i’ve seen the C1+E vehicle a local school operates. If it wasn’t plated for 7.5 tonnes, I’m certain you could plate it for heavier weights.
It was nearly a full size ‘W+D’, complete waste of money in my opinion.

NikNik:
I must admit there are is only two schools locally that do C1+E training, I asked when I done me ‘W+D’ familiarisation course with a local school, he said there was no need for that requirement in this area.
But each area of the country differs so there could be a need elsewhere. I personally don’t see why people just don’t do the C+E course, i’ve seen the C1+E vehicle a local school operates. If it wasn’t plated for 7.5 tonnes, I’m certain you could plate it for heavier weights.

yea theres companies round by me who use beefed up 7.5 tonners for the c test, its like your never gonna drive a truck that small so whats the point?

i learnt in a 14ft high 30ft long ERF for my c and a volvo fh12 and 30ft tandem so smaller or similar trucks and even bigger trucks aint a problem for me tbh.0

gogzy:

NikNik:

yea theres companies round by me who use beefed up 7.5 tonners for the c test, its like your never gonna drive a truck that small so whats the point?

i learnt in a 14ft high 30ft long ERF for my c and a volvo fh12 and 30ft tandem so smaller or similar trucks and even bigger trucks aint a problem for me tbh.0

Guess what I learnt in the same types of vehicle to :smiley: .
The only difference you can see is the wheels are a bit larger and the suspension is raised, they’ll be plated for about 12 tonnes or something, therefore meeting DSA requirements.

Mind I like what this driving school used to do and you could gain a full artic licence off this.

youtube.com/watch?v=emNUo9WF … annel_page

NikNik:
Mind I like what this driving school used to do and you could gain a full artic licence off this.

That is a 10 tonner flatbed with a flatbed trailer and is why the DSA changed the rules but I still think it does not go far enough - the rigids should be 17/18 tonnes minimum IMO. - Oh, and be loaded with half their permissable weight - concrete blocks bolted through the floor to the chassis would do…

NikNik:

gogzy:

NikNik:

Guess what I learnt in the same types of vehicle to :smiley: .
The only difference you can see is the wheels are a bit larger and the suspension is raised, they’ll be plated for about 12 tonnes or something, therefore meeting DSA requirements.

yea we have companies round here than use blue man tgas i think or whatever the 7.5 tonner is,and its beefed up and its just no good for a class c, minimum should be at least 12ft high, 18 tonner, with a few ton onboard

artic well should be a 40 tonner at least with ten ton in the back.

the size of what i learnt in has made it easier to drive trucks for me anyway, think i would scared myself if i went out in a class c after passing in a beefed up puddle jumper.

Given that a CAT C training vehicle has to have at least 8 forward gears, where are all these beefed up 7.5 tonners? Never found one yet with an 8 speed box!

Peter Smythe:
Given that a CAT C training vehicle has to have at least 8 forward gears, where are all these beefed up 7.5 tonners? Never found one yet with an 8 speed box!

I have and it was a 15 tonner training vehicle :wink: