Using toilets,or not allowed to do

Just been reading this…

“HSE issued guidance in 2014 for visiting HGV drivers that clearly states they should have easy access to toilets and other welfare facilities. The driver’s employer should liaise with the site employer or Principal Contractor to ensure these facilities are available.”

I’ve never experienced been told I can’t use a toilet somewhere but for those that have are you aware of the above and more importantly do you make those that decline you the facilities aware of the above and would you contact the HSE if they didn’t comply with it,I would.

I like that :smiley: loads of companies like to throw the “it’s H&S” when asked why do you have to do this or that, now you can throw the H&S line at them. :laughing:

xichrisxi:
Just been reading this…

“HSE issued guidance in 2014 for visiting HGV drivers that clearly states they should have easy access to toilets and other welfare facilities. The driver’s employer should liaise with the site employer or Principal Contractor to ensure these facilities are available.”

I’ve never experienced been told I can’t use a toilet somewhere but for those that have are you aware of the above and more importantly do you make those that decline you the facilities aware of the above and would you contact the HSE if they didn’t comply with it,I would.

It’s only guidance and it for your employer not the loading point . Even if your boss did liaise with them and they said you can’t use the bog I bet they will still send you rather than loose the job

Ive only been declined the toilet once and it was a company called British fermintation. The guy said no I was like ■■■■■■■■ man I’ve got a upset stomach here he was like no! So I pulled outside went into receiption said to the girl I was a visitor to the site and the backdoor guy said it was ok to use the facilities she pointed down the corridor and that was that.

Only time I ask a customer is if I’m desperate.

I’ve had this and thrown the the h and s line and offered to call hse on there behalf I’ve also post on companies facebook pages how they treat people

The lifestyle of lorry drivers causes bladder and bowel problems as we all tend to hang on until the next stop on the motorway .
For trampers away all week, a Portapoty could fit in the passenger seat area .
If you want the loo in the night, by the time you have got dressed and put your shoes on
to go outside, in that time, an accident in the down stairs area could occur .
I once heard an Rdc yarn of a driver being refused the loo at a supermarket Rdc as he was told the loo was for staff only.
He did his business on the front lawn of the main offices, with an audience looking out the Windows .

when i was on the tippers,we were delivering sand to walton on thames…no toilets available,so one the lads had a pee at the side of his lorry.he was spotted by some jobsworth who banned him off site…it was the sewage works :laughing:

never had a problem at customers using their loos, the last couple of places offered the use of their showers, coffee and tv room. whether they were just decent people, or realised i’m providing them with stuff they rely, or i just have a good friendly attitude with them instead of coming across as a ■■■.

either that or i dont mind having a pee up the side of the building or on the front gate post.

Used to get the old bullcrap years ago, of the driver who ■■■■ up the wall so they stopped us using them, which was pure ■■■■■■■■. If it was true I spent the first 10 yrs of my career following this phantom ■■■■ ter around. :smiley:
I once rang the H&S manager of Nordic terminal Immingham about the disgusting state of the drivers single toilet, after some ■■■■■■ of a jobsworth TRIED to bollock me for using the same bog as him. I went back next time and it had been cleaned…and painted.

There was another time a guy in a wharehouse in Scotland, actually told me to go in the car park :open_mouth: I then asked him which was his car as I had a curry last night and was going to ■■■■ on his bonnet…they let me use it,… or rather his boss did when I asked to see him.

Turned up at a building site in London once after a two and a half hour drive. I had a kidney level warning light on, I needed to go really quick but was told I had to do a ‘site induction’ first, two ten minute video’s and a questionaire !
I too peed up the wheel and was banned from the site…after I delivered what they were waiting for!

I have never had a problem the toilets I use are normally very clean sometimes they are looked due to the office staff not being in but then they tend to ask the men to vacate asap so I can have the use of them

Twoninety88:
Turned up at a building site in London once after a two and a half hour drive. I had a kidney level warning light on, I needed to go really quick but was told I had to do a ‘site induction’ first, two ten minute video’s and a questionaire !
I too peed up the wheel and was banned from the site…after I delivered what they were waiting for!

I’ve had that too at a Wilmot Dixon site, so I went up the wheel. But site induction I was offered was 2 hours including a finger print scan etc…

Being an agency limper you just walk into the place with your agency hi-viz on. Everyone just assumes you’re working for them on agency.

muckles:
I like that :smiley: loads of companies like to throw the “it’s H&S” when asked why do you have to do this or that, now you can throw the H&S line at them. :laughing:

Wot will ya say if a Worker in HiViz comes pulling a Pumptruck with a Mobile Toilet on it? :grimacing:

F-Reds - larger construction sites should have a safe zone for offices, toilets and usually canteen in an area away from the actual site as you’ve got to be able to reach it to receive said induction and without wearing PPE (eg: office staff). Anywhere demolition is occurring they have to provide even more welfare than normal.

If it’s a Wates site, make sure you fill out one of their little near miss cards stating that toilet facilities are not available as they have to act on this and it goes back to the H&S dept. On other sites, just quietly state that you might need to contact their H&S dept about the lack of facilities for site visitors, as I’ve seen strong willed site managers turn to quivering wrecks when the H&S person comes round…yes sir / miss etc.! :slight_smile:

Who the ■■■■ let’s a company take their finger prints to gain entry on site to get tipped? :unamused:
I’d tell them I’m taking their goods back cheeky ■■■■■, if boss back them up I’d happily find a new boss.

At the quarry where I once worked from I believe that (after I left) the toilet facilities were no longer available to visiting drivers, at one time they could use the canteen and get a cheap meal but times change. Maybe they can be used again now, these companies change the rules on a weekly basis!

Pete.

carryfast-yeti:
when i was on the tippers,we were delivering sand to walton on thames…no toilets available,so one the lads had a pee at the side of his lorry.he was spotted by some jobsworth who banned him off site…it was the sewage works :laughing:

Don’t you mean the water works and there is toilets available there :laughing: :laughing:

OllieNotts:
Who the [zb] let’s a company take their finger prints to gain entry on site to get tipped? :unamused:
I’d tell them I’m taking their goods back cheeky [zb], if boss back them up I’d happily find a new boss.

They didn’t need the site induction for me to tip there mate as I wasn’t going behind the fencing or the turnstile. Just for a ■■■■…

This is not guidance, its legislation to provide that every workplace should provide a convinience for for, if you’re a reader then crack on its all in there…

The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992