Using toilets,or not allowed to do

" Pump truck with a mobile toilet on it "

I think you mean a ’ caravan ’ Immigrant.

Never a problem here. I just use the same facilities at all of my drops as my customers do when they’re on the site… :wink:

Its been covered in depth here before.
Can’t be fussed looking for it but you have the right to use toilets in ANY PLACE OF WORK you are attending. By virtue of delivering to a site / property / rdc you are classed as a temporary worker employed by said company as you are under their H&S rules and duty of care. This act gives you the right to use the toilet and wash facilities.
The same act applies to any shop you may visit even as a customer.

Only one place I used to deliver woundn’t let you use the toilet, and it was apparently down to the management. The boys in the warehouse just said go down behind the building, so that’s what i used to do every time I visited, whether I felt I need to go or not! :laughing:

eagerbeaver:
" Pump truck with a mobile toilet on it "

I think you mean a ’ caravan ’ Immigrant.

No.
Just as Construction Sides have it with Tank and no rinning Water. good enough to get by forky from lorry to lorry,or Pumptruck

google.co.uk/search?q=mobil … w28oQ1M%3A

trevHCS:
F-Reds - larger construction sites should have a safe zone for offices, toilets and usually canteen in an area away from the actual site as you’ve got to be able to reach it to receive said induction and without wearing PPE (eg: office staff). Anywhere demolition is occurring they have to provide even more welfare than normal.

If it’s a Wates site, make sure you fill out one of their little near miss cards stating that toilet facilities are not available as they have to act on this and it goes back to the H&S dept. On other sites, just quietly state that you might need to contact their H&S dept about the lack of facilities for site visitors, as I’ve seen strong willed site managers turn to quivering wrecks when the H&S person comes round…yes sir / miss etc.! :slight_smile:

That’s good advice anywhere, if you get confronted with a jobsworth situation where you know you’re legally in the right. As Trev says, nowt like an enquiry from the H&S auditors to make a low-level manager with high-level attitude look round for the nearest toilet himself!

Not relevant to this particular topic but it’s a useful ploy when you’ve got bad potholes in the yard etc. which the management won’t fix.

The reply I had from H&S a little while back when I queried it with them:

Thank you for contacting HSE.

Companies to whom a delivery driver visits during the course of their work are not obliged under the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 to allow them to use their facilities. This is because they are not the driver’s employer and would not therefore have a duty of care for them under that Act or its associated regulations.

If a driver has a regular stop at a particular premises it would not be unreasonable for the driver’s employer to arrange an informal agreement with that company for their staff to use their welfare facilities, but this is not a legal requirement. I would recommend you have a sensible conversation with your employer and the company you deliver to in order to establish the facts, you may be able to come to an agreement.

Welfare stops is an issue faced by many employees who drive large vehicles for a living and it is recognised that access to some parking areas may be limiting. However there are many service areas along the roadside which have welfare facilities freely available to all road users.

The legislation that we enforce does place a duty on all employers to provide adequate welfare facilities for their workers, insofar as is reasonably practicable, and we would deem it reasonable that those who drive for a living use publicly accessible toilet facilities.

Kind Regards

So as well as toilets, it appears that they have NO DoC to you under H&S, so if you want to walk around with no hi-viz and get splattered, according to HSE there will be no comeback on the company at all. I’ll leave that there for now…

Never been refused a pee but have x 2 been refused a dump , asked by security staff at London gateway building site if I needed a pee or no2 , i said I need the toilet and urgent , again do you need pee or no2 , pee then had a dump when they let me through .
It’s hard enough out on the road finding toilets without this ■■■■ when we get to somewhere that has a toilet , but that’s the only 2 places

toby1234abc:
The lifestyle of lorry drivers causes bladder and bowel problems as we all tend to hang on until the next stop on the motorway .
For trampers away all week, a Portapoty could fit in the passenger seat area .
If you want the loo in the night, by the time you have got dressed and put your shoes on
to go outside, in that time, an accident in the down stairs area could occur .
I once heard an Rdc yarn of a driver being refused the loo at a supermarket Rdc as he was told the loo was for staff only.
He did his business on the front lawn of the main offices, with an audience looking out the Windows .

Are you shy Toby, get dressed for a pee in night , just bung on your boots , don’t think anyone’s going to worry about a driver in the night having a pee down the wheel in his boxers , boots

That’s one to file happy days

Get a letter stating that you cant use them go to the back wheel and quite hauliers and carters act ot then

scaniason:
The reply I had from H&S a little while back when I queried it with them:

Thank you for contacting HSE.

Companies to whom a delivery driver visits during the course of their work are not obliged under the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 to allow them to use their facilities. This is because they are not the driver’s employer and would not therefore have a duty of care for them under that Act or its associated regulations.

If a driver has a regular stop at a particular premises it would not be unreasonable for the driver’s employer to arrange an informal agreement with that company for their staff to use their welfare facilities, but this is not a legal requirement. I would recommend you have a sensible conversation with your employer and the company you deliver to in order to establish the facts, you may be able to come to an agreement.

Welfare stops is an issue faced by many employees who drive large vehicles for a living and it is recognised that access to some parking areas may be limiting. However there are many service areas along the roadside which have welfare facilities freely available to all road users.

The legislation that we enforce does place a duty on all employers to provide adequate welfare facilities for their workers, insofar as is reasonably practicable, and we would deem it reasonable that those who drive for a living use publicly accessible toilet facilities.

Kind Regards

So as well as toilets, it appears that they have NO DoC to you under H&S, so if you want to walk around with no hi-viz and get splattered, according to HSE there will be no comeback on the company at all. I’ll leave that there for now…

“Freely available” eh? So that means we shouldn’t have to pay at council-run facilities which are effectively our only resort if that letter is to be interpreted literally.

I’ve got a RADAR key; not being disabled, it’s a moot point as to whether I’m actually entitled to one, but it’s a godsend if you’re on a night out or delivering somewhere where the public bogs are locked up for the night.

Also has the advantage that most disabled bogs are better equipped with the likes of a proper sink to get washed up etc.

Showers obviously aren’t considered welfare facilities, as they’re not ‘freely’ available either. As for RADAR keys, I have one myself which I’d only use as a last resort - its a shame that in the 5th richest country in the world, we can’t provide basic facilities for the public to use, without stinging them for using them.

Never mind, all of societies problems will be sorted after 23rd June :smiling_imp:

I have a radar key with me every time I go out.

I went to pick up an “urgent” load from Panasonic at Bedwas in Wales with a 40’ container in 1995, I backed up to the bay jumped out went into the office, and asked where the toilets were, and was told in sneering tones that “we dont allow drivers to use our toilets”, I asked where the nearest ones were and was told the M4 services, or “you can use the drain in the road”, I went out side pulled the truck of the bay closed the doors and jumped back in the cab, “what are you doing” I was asked we are just going to load it, “back to Purfleet” I said, “you cant do that” was the cry this load is critical, but I could and did, I am not an animal ■■■■■■■ in the road.

Radar keys are avail on eBay & Amazon for a cpl of quid just saying like.

xichrisxi:

Sorry to appear ignorant :blush: , but what IS a radar key??

robroy:

xichrisxi:

Sorry to appear ignorant :blush: , but what IS a radar key??

A key that unlocks the Disabled loos generally in public areas Robroy. You have to purchase them, my Mrs has had one for many years.
bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-ouch-22602836

Pete.

If you want an official one, you can buy them for £4.50 or £5.40 (VAT inc) from the official supplier - or just buy one from Ebay for a quid.

You often see them in more fancy public loos, and some shopping centres where it says “RADAR key available from X store” although god knows why anyone who needs one would actually want to have to go find X store, then the person with the key etc. Theory is apparently that if you lock the disabled loos, they might be kept cleaner, although considering anyone can buy the key this does seem a little odd. Might buy one for middle of the night requirements when it’s unlikely the intended user will want it.

crm.disabilityrightsuk.org/radar-nks-key