Using energy drinks

I’m a new pass (one month) been doing adhoc shifts & noticed I need a boost (RedBull) after 3hrs of continuous driving.
Is this normal? , do other drivers utilise “chemical” supports on long drives.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

don’t feed the troll.

Cocaine does it for me

Used to drink Black Coffee. Cheaper :smiley:

Water. Simple as that. Staying hydrated keeps you alert.

I use costa coffee cans.I always have 4 in my bag.If I have 2 cans,thats my tiredness problem solved.I couldnt fall asleep then even if I tried.Im a bit weiry about using red bull and those sorts of drinks because I read that they might have too much caffeine and other stuff in them.And I try and get rest right before my shift if I can and also,if Im tired ,sleep in my break,even 30 minutes is enough to get me through the rest of the shift.I know too much coffee might not be a good thing but its better than falling asleep behind the wheel,thats the way I look at it

Sweeties for me (like, Wine Gums, toffees, something like that). Not really to keep me awake/alert but just as something to do/nibble to ease the boredom!

Regarding fatigue, I’ve adapted to being able to sleep when I need, to be able to get enough rest to then drive long hours, unusual hours. And if not actual deep sleep then just get decent rest beforehand.

Caffeine and sleep may help, but think about the root cause.

Did you have a good breakfast?
Did you sleep the night before? (could you have sleep apnea?)
Are you physically fit?
Are you drinking enough water?

Sploom:
I use costa coffee cans.I always have 4 in my bag.If I have 2 cans,thats my tiredness problem solved.I couldnt fall asleep then even if I tried.Im a bit weiry about using red bull and those sorts of drinks because I read that they might have too much caffeine and other stuff in them.And I try and get rest right before my shift if I can and also,if Im tired ,sleep in my break,even 30 minutes is enough to get me through the rest of the shift.I know too much coffee might not be a good thing but its better than falling asleep behind the wheel,thats the way I look at it

Bloody hell how much does 4 cans cost you from Costa coffee , I went in for a tea a month or so ago , ■■■■■■■ £3 ( though she did say I could have a large cup
) , I’ve not stopped moaning about it since , a bloody tea bag / water , £3 , shocking

A 15 min power nap on the bunk does it for me.
I also drink a ■■■■ lot of coffee, not to keep.awake, more because I’m kinda addicted to it.
I find myself getting tired when driving these days, especially the first day of my shift pattern, not because I am ran ragged or anything, more the fact I get bored due to very little interest and zero enthusiasm in the job these days, but when feel tired I stop…simple., if the load is 20 mins late the ■■■■ world isn’t gonna end. :bulb:

@o/p if you’ve only been doing it 3 months,.I would have thought enthusiasm and keenness would keep you awake :smiley:
Are you being pushed resulting in you being knackered?
Don’t fall into that trap, set your OWN pace,.and stick to it.
It’s in your hands to deal with that , your licence if you fall asleep, and your life ! :bulb:

As for Red Bull,.it’s full of crap that ain’t good for you.
I had a mate who used to keep himself awake with that stuff,.whilst tear arsing across Europe in the old days, he was necking it wholesale,.soon after he developed diabetes.
Now I ain’t a medical expert, but the coincidence is there,.and I have heard of the same thing on 2 more occasions.

You’re entitled…

To stop and take a break when ever YOU want.

Four and a half hours driving time is the maximum, NOT a target.

If you’re feeling tired at 3 hours, stop, get yer head down. If your phone is ringing after you’ve stopped for 2 minutes somewhere random, tell them to get lost and look for another job.

yourhavingalarf:
You’re entitled…

To stop and take a break when ever YOU want.

Four and a half hours driving time is the maximum, NOT a target.

If you’re feeling tired at 3 hours, stop, get yer head down. If your phone is ringing after you’ve stopped for 2 minutes somewhere random, tell them to get lost and look for another job.

Just watched your skip driver you tube vid. :laughing:
I don’t know why I found that cockney guy saying ‘‘Wtf is this’’ in the first few seconds more funny than the skip guys ■■■■ up. :laughing: :laughing:

WideWolf:
I’m a new pass (one month) been doing adhoc shifts & noticed I need a boost (RedBull) after 3hrs of continuous driving.
Is this normal? , do other drivers utilise “chemical” supports on long drives.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

I’ve never driven for 3 hours yet.

robroy:
Just watched your skip driver you tube vid. :laughing:

I’ll keep…

Digging them out. :smiley:

stu675:

This is…

The correct answer.

What i used do if driving long distances sometimes. Just pull into next services and take a 15 min break walk to toilet wash your face with cold water have a brew which my case was always tea as not a big coffee drinker.
Along with the fresh air it usally helped I found

Then again never really suffered that much from tiredness.
Worst case if you are totally tired pull over take your 45 min break and sleep rest don’t spend your break on your phone try to rest /sleep

Everyone’s different, some charge through to the destination with a non stop 4+ hour drive, others (incl me) have at least a 15 minuter once beyond the half way mark…this not only breaks the journey but also helps ensure i don’t trip the 6 hour wtd rules at the destination where i do my actual work.

Energy drinks? no, never have, a cup of tea or coffee and maybe a couple of bikkies dunked i’m good to go again, now and again if there is a convenient one a Greggs breakfast bap and large latte.
Those excessively sugared fizzy drinks only make you feel thirstier, and will give you acid indigestion as you get older.

A new and presumably youngish driver needing such drinks sounds like you’re being pushed, best to set your stall out from day one at a job, do the job to suit yourself, if the job is 4 hours flat out drive away and they start your 4hrs 15mins before delivery time then you need to start earlier to factor in a break and unexpected traffic/trouble without having to be sat on the speed limiter, if they find you will go flat out to suit their planning incompetence they’ll carry on pushing you constantly and give you the hard runs until it all ends up badly for you.

One other thing, whilst aircon is nice to have, try driving with the window open…opening the roof hatch can on some cab designs stop the wind buffeting, fresh air like that is much preferable.

yourhavingalarf:

stu675:

This is…

The correct answer.

Very rare I drive 3 hours even on a trip from the West Country to Scotland .
Couple of hours possible 2.5 then pull over quick walk round the truck or pee break pour myself a cup of tea then I’m good to go , sometimes I might only stop for a couple of mins but deffo gets me good again

yourhavingalarf:

stu675:

This is…

The correct answer.

Absolutely, be sure sure to set out your stall from day 1 and stick to it no matter what anyone tells you.
Personally i don’t drive more than about 1.5hrs without a quick stop for the 3 S’s
(A ■■■■■, snooze, & a stretch!). :grimacing:

may be worth you buying one of those little alarms you tuck behind/top of the ear if you start to nod off head tilting forward they go off