Using energy drinks

If you’re relying on energy drinks and caffeine to keep you awake, I’d suggest you take a look at your lifestyle and sleep patterns. It’s likely that you are doing something that is effecting your body and causing you to feel tired at work

corij:
may be worth you buying one of those little alarms you tuck behind/top of the ear if you start to nod off head tilting forward they go off

:open_mouth: Bloody hell, if it got to that stage where I NEEDED summet like that, I’d be seeking a new employer, or asking myself if driving was actually the right job for me.

dozy:

Sploom:
I use costa coffee cans.I always have 4 in my bag.If I have 2 cans,thats my tiredness problem solved.I couldnt fall asleep then even if I tried.Im a bit weiry about using red bull and those sorts of drinks because I read that they might have too much caffeine and other stuff in them.And I try and get rest right before my shift if I can and also,if Im tired ,sleep in my break,even 30 minutes is enough to get me through the rest of the shift.I know too much coffee might not be a good thing but its better than falling asleep behind the wheel,thats the way I look at it

Bloody hell how much does 4 cans cost you from Costa coffee , I went in for a tea a month or so ago , [zb] £3 ( though she did say I could have a large cup
) , I’ve not stopped moaning about it since , a bloody tea bag / water , £3 , shocking

Its not cheap but I buy them in bulk from home bargains or tescos.I dont drink 4 a night but I alwayz have them on hand.We are not allowed to stop.

I always have the temperature at 17 degrees but this causes problems on double manning because it seems most drivers like the temp at 22.I would fall asleep if it was set at that.But what I started doing now is telling the driver before he takes the run,I cant drive with the temp above 17.I dont mind when he is driving,he can turn it up to what he wants

WideWolf:
I’m a new pass (one month) been doing adhoc shifts & noticed I need a boost (RedBull) after 3hrs of continuous driving.
Is this normal? , do other drivers utilise “chemical” supports on long drives.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

No. And you shouldn’t either. The problem with using those is twofold:

1. When it wears off you come down real fast and end up worse than if you’d not had it at all
  2. It can end up preventing you being able to get to sleep when you get home so you get less sleep before you get up to do your next shift which means you’re tired before you start. You then end up on more red bulls and it’s a vicious cycle.

Split your 45 minute breaks. Do 2-3hrs, when you feel tired take a 15 and use the time to go for a walk or have a quick power nap.

Conor:

WideWolf:
I’m a new pass (one month) been doing adhoc shifts & noticed I need a boost (RedBull) after 3hrs of continuous driving.
Is this normal? , do other drivers utilise “chemical” supports on long drives.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

No. And you shouldn’t either. The problem with using those is twofold:

1. When it wears off you come down real fast and end up worse than if you’d not had it at all
  2. It can end up preventing you being able to get to sleep when you get home so you get less sleep before you get up to do your next shift which means you’re tired before you start. You then end up on more red bulls and it’s a vicious cycle.

Split your 45 minute breaks. Do 2-3hrs, when you feel tired take a 15 and use the time to go for a walk or have a quick power nap.

As some have said. Split the 4 1/2 hrs up. Either 2 x 2hr 15mins or 3 x 1 1/2hrs. If doing the latter make sure you dont go over 30 mins rest on your second stop or the tacho resets. It is your health and your life.

I’m bang on the much cheaper Lidl kong strong , I know they’re really ■■■■ for you , but they keep me going

Take a flask of coffee/tea. Save you money on the crappy drinks that do you no good. If its not ■■■■■■■ down sit outside and drink it, bit of fresh air. That works for me if I ever get tired. :slight_smile:

peirre:
If you’re relying on energy drinks and caffeine to keep you awake, I’d suggest you take a look at your lifestyle and sleep patterns. It’s likely that you are doing something that is effecting your body and causing you to feel tired at work

Ha ha ha , you couldn’t make it up, advice on a healthy lifestyle from a bloke who spends his days on his fat ■■■ on the setee , watching ■■■■ , drinking beer !!

Not a chemist however I’m pretty sure caffeine (the main ‘‘active’’ ingredient in RB) is not a chemical but a naturally occurring substance. It’s in COFFEE after all. And it grows on trees. Or is it bushes? Giant tree like bushes??

When I was a kid I remember getting the ■■■■■ when I had too many energy drinks.

Dunno if that is still the case lol.

adam277:
When I was a kid I remember getting the [zb] when I had too many energy drinks.

Dunno if that is still the case lol.

Inbetweeners Will lol

ETS:
Not a chemist

Yep, that’s fairly obvious

ETS:
however I’m pretty sure caffeine (the main ‘‘active’’ ingredient in RB) is not a chemical but a naturally occurring substance. It’s in COFFEE after all. And it grows on trees. Or is it bushes? Giant tree like bushes??

Well, ALL naturally occurring substances are chemicals, of some form or another. Best not to associate “chemical” with any negative (or positive) effect.

However, it is a stimulant and its not so much whether its natural or artificial, but the quantities present in energy drinks. Too much of anything - even water - is bad for you. Everything in balance, and all that.

TruckDriverBen:
Cocaine does it for me

■■■■■.Get some Lysergic down ya.

Noremac:
Caffeine and sleep may help, but think about the root cause.

Did you have a good breakfast?
Did you sleep the night before? (could you have sleep apnea?)
Are you physically fit?
Are you drinking enough water?

Are you doing the odd immunity re-set fasts ?

peirre:

And let’s not forget the concomitant energy crash which follows from bombarding the system with ridiculously large levels of sugar and other nasties which languish within these fizzy atrocities under the misleading… (downright lying) ‘energy’ descriptions.It’s akin to taking a loan which will be repaid with high interest,especially at nightly rest.Deeper,more rejuvenative sleep won’t be accessed.Classic catch-22.

ETS:
Not a chemist however I’m pretty sure caffeine (the main ‘‘active’’ ingredient in RB) is not a chemical but a naturally occurring substance. It’s in COFFEE after all. And it grows on trees. Or is it bushes? Giant tree like bushes??

What it actually`is,is a natural insecticide for the coffee plant’s protection in the wild,so the juries out as to it’s health properties ?.I couldn’t previously- personally enjoy coffee without using coffee mate powder (diabolically unhealthy stuff) and two sugars so l’ve quit the stuff for Early Grey tea-sans milk and sugar, which luckily doesn’t break a fast for the sake of a temporary coffee ‘boost’.It helps that the endless plague of putrid-tasting,mass overkill coffee vending operators infecting our lands,are hawking a product i wouldn’t dream of shelling out the coin for,largely due to it’s offences to the palate as well as the sensibilities as they kill local independent trade across village and town.

According to Google…

‘Taurine is a key ingredient in Red Bull, Monster, Rock Star, and other energy drinks. The ingredient helps muscle function, may aid athletic performance and endurance, helps reduce anxiety, and appears to aid blood sugar regulation and cardiac health’.

What ever’s in it, I’m confident it’s bad for you. No doubt in a generations time there’ll be class action law suits over the damage this stuff does. Who knows?

When it first came out, I tried and really liked the taste of it. I had no idea it was an energy drink (Lucozade was all we had up until then). I guzzled about 7 cans of the stuff down and spent the next three days hopped up and sitting on the pan.

yourhavingalarf:
According to Google…

‘Taurine is a key ingredient in Red Bull, Monster, Rock Star, and other energy drinks. The ingredient helps muscle function, may aid athletic performance and endurance, helps reduce anxiety, and appears to aid blood sugar regulation and cardiac health’.

What ever’s in it, I’m confident it’s bad for you. No doubt in a generations time there’ll be class action law suits over the damage this stuff does. Who knows?

When it first came out, I tried and really liked the taste of it. I had no idea it was an energy drink (Lucozade was all we had up until then). I guzzled about 7 cans of the stuff down and spent the next three days hopped up and sitting on the pan.

And the ‘new-revelations’ of the dangers of Aspartame in ‘diet/energy’ drinks doing the media rounds currently ? But after 4 decades of it’s toxic properties laying waste to the metabolisms of millions of its consumers: uneducated as to it’s malevolent properties,they finally choose to drip feed the narrative that it’s atually ‘‘not that good folks’’. :open_mouth:

A deep-dive into Aspartames origins would clearly explain it’s evil provenance.‘Developed’ originally by none other than a certain Donald Rumsfeld (nothing to see here etc ?) :smiling_imp: in his then CEO role of the designated production company, doubtless shelling for DARPA/CIA et al.So ‘successful’ was this satanists leading role that the next logical progression was a government role in the AIPAC/Neocon Iraq-invasion- atrocity.The devil sure takes care of his own.

Makes you wonder why at this point the genie has been suddenlyreleased regarding Aspartames fundamental toxicity with such insouciance ? Do they maybe think it’s a small potato issue now that the herd has been more generally toxified at the macro level ?..Rhetorical.

ETS:
not a chemical but a naturally occurring substance.

“Chemical” is a meaningless term, everything in nature is a “chemical” of some kind. Lots of plants make unpleasant tasting chemicals to deter grazers from eating the plant, caffeine is just one of these.