*** urgent - anyone know how to bleed an fh12 ***

My driver has ran out of diesel in belgium (i think sombody has syphoned the tank) can any body explain how to bleed the system for me.

I thought they were self bleeding, NSH. A colleauge of mine had his fuel syphoned at Wanlin a couple of years ago, they left the tanks bone dry, and we just got diesel into them and turned the engine a good few times and it started, ran rough for a minute then sorted itself out, no bleeding needed.

I can’t even look in the manual for you at the moment as it is in the truck and it’s parked a few miles away.

Call Volvo for advice, most of the dealers are open by this time on a Sunday.

tried that mate but just keeps turning over & dont want battries to run flat,He is in a garage in adinkerke and has filled up there was still plenty of fuel in the tank as I always put the same amount in each time we go over and there is always 5 gallon laft in for the specific reason that I diont want to run out.

I think maybe it has sucked up some crap off the bottom of the tank I’ve called action service out they should be there in about half an hour

Think you are right, sounds more like a blockage. When it happened to my colleague at least we could keep turning the engine over because if batteries had gone flat we could have jump started him, Engine started before they went flat though.

Sorry to hear it looks like you have had the fuel stolen and hope it doesn’t work out too expensive.

Its volvo action service of course its going to be expensive
they once tried to charge me £210 for a jump start & they only had to drive 1.5 miles from their depot to do it.

north surrey haulage:
Its volvo action service of course its going to be expensive

Well if you put it like that. :wink: :smiley:

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Unbelievable my driver has just rung me to say that the fitter has turned up & he sorted it in the time it took to have a 2 min conversation.

he opened up the the bleed screw diesel flowwed under the pressure
then he did the nut back up and turned the motor over and it fired up straight away! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I reckon you were probably right coffee about just keep turning it over but then I would probably have to call them out for a jump start anyway knowing my luck. :cry: :cry:

Glad he got going again. Fingers crossed they are gentle with you when it comes to the bill. :confused: :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear about your problem. Dont know that much about em really. I know they are not self bleeding like Scania. On the older models there were 2 bleed screws then from about T reg a noticed there wre 3 bleed screws. no doubt some of the fitters who use the site will let you know for future reference Mr North Surry. Glad to see you are sorted now.

Just brought the truck down to the house to load my gear into it before setting off and I’ve looked in the manual. Seems I was wrong in thinking they self bleeding.

I forgot my vehicle, new style FH, has a switch on the dash with a fuel pump symbol on it and the instructions are as follows.

1. Stop Vehicle. :open_mouth: I would have thought you would already be stopped.
  2. Apply parking brake.
  3. Switch off Engine.
  4. Ignition key in radio position.
  5. Press in the switch on the dash.
  6. The symbol for air venting lights on the display
  7. Air venting is complete when the symbol goes out (after approx 4 minutes.)

And then a little note, Do not use starter motor to bleed engine. Looks like we shouldn’t have sorted my colleagues problem that way but it did work. :wink: :smiley: :sunglasses:

for future reference if anybody is interested they are not self bleeding (you must have got lucky coffee).

there is a bleed screw (12mm or 13mm) on the inlet manifold at the rear of the engine.
apparently you only need to bleed this 1 as it does the others at the same time and without doing this one it will never go properly as there will always be air in the inlet system

north surrey haulage:
…they once tried to charge me £210 for a jump start & they only had to drive 1.5 miles from their depot to do it.

I dropped a trailer at United Carriers Enfield once and forgot to uncouple the air-lines and suzi’s (its amazing how far they can stretch !!!). Iveco were called out to replace them and it cost the firm £150.00 for the privelage - Iveco were next door !

which is why i have spare suzies & air lines on me at all times :wink: :wink:

paul

Rotary pumps as most cars/light vans have are often self bleeding.
Trucks tend to have in-line pumps, which aren’t.
Always look for the highest located bleed ■■■■■■.

Running to within 5 gallons of empty is not good practice. In a large tank, it may fail to draw fuel as there will only be maybe 1" of fuel in the bottom of the tank. They do not usually draw right from the dregs to avoid foreign body contamination.

Driveroneuk:
Running to within 5 gallons of empty is not good practice. In a large tank, it may fail to draw fuel as there will only be maybe 1" of fuel in the bottom of the tank. They do not usually draw right from the dregs to avoid foreign body contamination.

my tanks are custom built and have a baffle to make a small tank at the very front of the main tank with a connecting hose fitted with a tap, 5 gallon usually leaves about 2.5" in the bottom and the feed pipe is about 5mm from the bottom.It normally takes 8 gallon to get there so is normally plenty in reserve

I’m not that dumb :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :open_mouth:

you are right about the 3 screws but you only have to bleed the 1 on the uinlet manifold.

(allegedly)

Coffeeholic:
Glad he got going again. Fingers crossed they are gentle with you when it comes to the bill. :confused: :slight_smile:

think of a number double it add on belgium figure add £50 to answere the phone + £50 to ring belgium carry the3 over divide by the age your mother was when she conceived you add your grannies age +9

then you should know how cheap the bill will be.

the above formula is well known tried and tested means of calculating a call out fee for a minor breakdown and has been handed down through the generations :wink:

north surrey haulage:
I’m not that dumb :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :open_mouth:

Never intended to suggest you were NSH & i’m sorry if that’s how you took it.
Was just attempting to input helpful information.

Shan’t bother in future.

Driveroneuk:

north surrey haulage:

Never intended to suggest you were NSH & i’m sorry if that’s how you took it.
Was just attempting to input helpful information.

Shan’t bother in future.

which is why I took lightheartedly, I draw your attention to the smilies :wink: