*** urgent - anyone know how to bleed an fh12 ***

reply read

Was that the same white FH12 I noted on the M6 near Rugby Friday morning with a container on the back and North Surrey Haulage on the cab?

I was heading North/West at the time (10.30 ish)

Sorry to hear about your fuel troubles. I have similar problems on a Gardner, though it was fuel starvation when the filter got blocked :frowning: Good fun on a full bus with the floor hatch up and manually pumping the lift pump to get us up the hill on the M55 - did it though :slight_smile: )

Calv

Calv:
Was that the same white FH12 I noted on the M6 near Rugby Friday morning with a container on the back and North Surrey Haulage on the cab?

I was heading North/West at the time (10.30 ish)

that was me :laughing:

if you collect registration nos. you would have got the whole fleet in one hit :wink:

The first Trucknet “eyeball” :smiley: :smiley: . My vehicle is a bit more anonymous though - a white (ish) Iveco 7.5 tonner - not many of those about!

Calv

flatbedman:
which is why i have spare suzies & air lines on me at all times :wink: :wink:

paul

Whats the procedure for bleeding with them ? suzie or air line first?. :wink: :wink: :wink: :bulb:

if suzie’s a bleeder you’ve come knocking at the wrong time :wink:

Calv:
manually pumping the lift pump to get us up the hill on the M55 - did it though :slight_smile: ) Calv

Hill, M55 :question: :question: :question:

I can hear it from here, been up n down it on my push bike b4 it opened, never seen any hills :question: :question:

My V reg, 4 series Scanny ran dry on the tank it draws from (its gauge still read 1/4+), as I was running for the boat at Cairnryan (sp?), Monday evening.
Excuses :blush: , I had stopped for fuel at the Newbridge roundabout. Just after I stopped at the pumps there, they ran out with a roll of red n white striped tape and taped off the complete forecourt. They told me their tills had just crashed, so no fuel :frowning: . I checked my tanks and found the one being drawn from was a little low but the other was half full. I intended to put 100L in, just to be on the safe side, so was going to stop somewhere else on route, just to be safe :open_mouth: .
When I ground to a halt I checked my tanks again, the drawing tank was dry and the other was still half full. I mucked about, trying to figure out how to get fuel from 1 tank to the other on my own, with not much in the way of tools etc. Eventually I phoned up and confessed to the boss :blush: :blush: . He told me to call out Scanny. I did that and got a text saying they would be 2 hours+. I had another look about, in the cab this time, and found the handbook. The bleed screw is on top of the fuel filter (left front of engine), the hand priming pump is at the other end of the engine. I got some inspiration from somewhere, god knows where. Luckily we do some subby work for European hauliers, some of their trailers have palm coupling, so we carry adapters. I made a doh-ring from bin-liners, placed that over the neck of the tank, pushed the palm coupling over that and hooked up my red line to the palm coupling. It leaked, a lot but I got enough pressure in the tank to blow diesel through (and dislodge whatever had caused the blockage). Slackened off the bleed screw with my mole-grips, primed the common rail, tightened up with my mole-grips and turned the key. She fire up immediately. 5 miles down the road was the petrol station I had intended to stop at :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :blush: . Put 200L in and caught the next boat, oh and I phone Scanny and cancelled the call out before the grease-monkey finished his dinner, so no charge :sunglasses: , and the boss to let him know all was OK after all :blush: :blush:

Simon if you have problems like that again (I presume the tanks are connected via a pipe at the bottom of each tank) I was given a tip the other day.

if you crimp over the breather pipe from the tank that feeds the engine it creates more pressure in the other tank therby making sure the feeder tank always draws all the fuel from the auxhillary tank.

try it and see

I might give that a go NSH, ta.

north surrey haulage:
if you crimp over the breather pipe from the tank that feeds the engine it creates more pressure in the other tank therby making sure the feeder tank always draws all the fuel from the auxhillary tank.

Go on then. I’ll be the dumb mutt to ask the obvious question. Which is the ‘Feeder’ tank and which is the ‘Auxilliary’ tank. :bulb: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I presume the tank on the right hand side with the label ‘Fill Other Tank First’ is the auxilliary tank. But why does it make a difference which one you fill first. :question: :confused: :confused: :confused:

As far as I remember if you fill the one with the sticker telling you to fill the other tank first first then go to the one you are supposed to fill first second, the one you have wrongly filled first can overflow while you are filling the the one you are supposed to fill first, second.

Now that made a lot more sense in my head than it does written down. :wink: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:
Now that made a lot more sense in my head than it does written down. :wink: :smiley:

I must say that I would have to agree with that. :smiley:

I had presumed that if you filled the offside tank first then it would have cross-flowed into the nearside tank, so that when you filled the nearside tank, the rate of delivery was greater than the cross-flow capacity of the connecting pipe, therefore when one thought that the offside tank was still full, it was in fact, not.

That is, of course, presuming that fuel can freely cross-flow from the right hand tank to the left hand tank but not visa versa. :sunglasses: :confused:

It’s late. It’s hot, and do we really care. :laughing: :frowning:

Yeah, what you said. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: