Update

JUst to let you all know whats going on about my accident at work that I had when i got hit on the head with a pallet truck!!

Went to casualty on Saturday as when I woke up my entire right eye was closed up due to swelling, was advised not to to drive until Tuesday and go and see the Doc today to get a second opinion.

Went to the doctors and explained what had happend and was signed off for 10 days, rang work up and explained and they say I need to send the sick note in asap, is this right?

Also got told I need to go back to the docs and get checked out before i go back to work, can I do this before the 10 days if I feel better?

Whats the best thing to do about a self certification sick note for the first three days, do work send one to me?

Sorry to ask all these questions but what with the time of year I need to make sure im doing everything right!!

Thanks in advance.

I`d make a copy of the sicknote and get it sent off, why delay it?
Your note covers you from when the doc signed it until its finish date. As far as i know you dont now need a self certification form(but i could be wrong!)
Your doctor can sign you fit to work again before the ten days is up.
Get well soon.

Cheers JB, im not sure if i need self certification for the Thursday and friday i was off?

Will send it off straight away, im guessing i will get statutory sick pay from today?

I think your best bet would be to ring the surgery tomorrow mate. The receptionists normally know all this stuff.

Potter:
Went to the doctors and explained what had happend and was signed off for 10 days, rang work up and explained and they say I need to send the sick note in asap, is this right?

Yes, if you have been signed of, they will need the certificate for evidence of company sick pay or SSP.

potter:
Also got told I need to go back to the docs and get checked out before i go back to work, can I do this before the 10 days if I feel better?

Yes, but if the doc advised you to take the full 10 days, then i’d take 10 days (particulary with a knock to the head,). If they say you need a checkup, then you will be required to have one, although my previous employer sent us to their company doctor.

potter:
Whats the best thing to do about a self certification sick note for the first three days, do work send one to me?

No, you can pick these up in the Doctors surgery (some Chemists may have them). I don’t think you’ll need one (unless you were due to work on the sat or sunday)

sorry just noticed u said u were of thursday and friday. You’ll prob need a self cert.

will pop and get one from the docs tommorow then, just dont want work think im taking the mickey with these days off!!

The last place I worked had their own self certification form you had to ring up and ask for. Might be worth checking, they wouldn’t accept one from the doctors (for self cert, obviously they would for anything that needed his signature on)

You also might have to go to your company registered doctor, as well as your GP, to get signed off back to work.

I had to take a full medical with the company doctor before I was allowed back after a 10 day absence. Included a drugs test, one for diabetes and god knows what else.

Its all just to cover their backsides so make sure you check or it could end up being a nightmare in paperwork later on.

Hope you don’t have any lasting injuries mate.

The other thing to remember is, if you go to a company doctor or anything like that, read anything they give you before you sign it, the one I had said

“I hereby declare that my illness/injury was not the fault of the company and was due only to my own negligence or unforeseen circumstances that could not have been predicted through a full H&S Risk Assesment”

I wouldn’t have minded but I’d only had an contagious infection!

Alex

mate i wouldn’t worry about work thinkin ur takin the ■■■■. You had an accident which ur work are aware of and the doc has certified that u are unfit for work. Theres nothin they can do about that.

Just dont want a Polish driver replacing me, can i say that? i will try and put some pics up later on of my head, my girlfriend calls me Herman Munster :frowning:

Scarab:
The other thing to remember is, if you go to a company doctor or anything like that, read anything they give you before you sign it, the one I had said

“I hereby declare that my illness/injury was not the fault of the company and was due only to my own negligence or unforeseen circumstances that could not have been predicted through a full H&S Risk Assesment”

very true!!! although in my case it was: I hereby declare that my illness/injury was not the fault of the company and was due only to my own negligence or unforeseen circumstances that could not have been predicted through a full H&S Risk Assesment :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

the company I work for arent that big so we dont have company doctors etc, just wanna get back to work really but like everybody says, you cant be too carefull with a head injury

Scarab:

:open_mouth: I hope you didn’t sign that. :open_mouth:

You’d have to be qualified to make a H&S risk-assessment so that you’d know what was or wasn’t predictable.
On the same basis, how would you know that it wasn’t the company’s fault??
(It wasn’t worth asking whether you knew you were negligent :wink: :laughing: )

I hope your boss has reported your accident to HSE as he should have done for a lost time injury under riddor regs.

can you explain what that is please?

Potter:
can you explain what that is please?

RIDDOR stands for:
Reporting of Injuries Diseases and Dangerous Occurrence Regulations 1995.
This came into force on 01/04/1996

The Regulations require employers, the self-employed and those in control of premises to report specified workplace incidents to the Incident Contact Centre on: 0845 300 9923.

Over-three-day injury - If there is an accident connected with work (including an act of physical violence) and an employee suffers an over-three-day injury your employer must send a completed accident report form (F2508) to the enforcing authority within ten days. An over-three-day injury is one which is not major but results in the injured person being away from work or unable to do their normal work for more than three days (including non-working days).

In short, if you’re an employed person, your boss must report this injury to the enforcing authority. You don’t have to do anything, unless you’re self-employed or its your business premises.

TIP: try to make sure that this injury was entered in the firm’s accident book, you might need that as evidence later. :wink:

Thanks for that, sent my sicknote in today, will try and find out if its in the accident book, hopefully I should be back on the road soon, I will enquire if it has been reported to RIDDOR

Thanks again

Potter:

Was this said by the Doctor or your employer?

If it a requirement imposed on you by your employer then the Doctor might charge for it. In which case, ensure that your employer is willing to pay for.

Regardless of which, it is sound advice nevertheless.

:slight_smile:

how did you get head injury from a pallet truck or was it a FLT

It was a pallet truck, I wasnt using my own wagon and had to use another one, so I got the pump truck put onto my wagon by the forklift driver, i noticed it was close to the edge so i pushed it, as i did it came back on my and slipped off the edge of the wagon, as it did the handle part, the bit you steer it with came down and hit me on the head!!

My employer said about going back and getting the all clear so do you think I will get charged?