Unit driving for C licence

I know this has been covered many times before and people say you can…

But, The only proof i have seen is on the cheshire police website, has anyone got a link to the dvla or vosa where it says that you can as my boss still says that u cant. So would like to be able to print off something from an official website.

cheers

Here is a quote from the DVLA who replied to an email i sent them with just that question. If you wanted to email them yourself at drivers.dvla@gtnet.gov.uk and get a reply for youself and forward/print out and hand to the boss.

In order to drive any large articulated vehicle combination a driver would normally have to hold category C+E entitlement.

An “articulated goods vehicle” is defined as a motor vehicle which is so constructed that a trailer designed to carry goods may by partial superimposition be attached to it in such a manner as to cause a substantial part of the weight of the trailer to be borne by the motor vehicle, and as such, large vehicle entitlement category C+E is required.

However, in the absence of a trailer the vehicle would not conform with the definition of an "articulated vehicle and may be driven by the holder of full category C entitlement.

I hope the above information will be of some assistance to you.

It was once the case under the old Class1 Class2 system, however it is now Cat C and C with trailer (C+E)

My mates boss has threatened to put him through his HGV / LGV test but he only operates 8 wheel tippers and Artics with ■■■■■■■■■■ trailers.

Can he drive an 8 wheeler on a C licence?

In mine and the bosses day a class 2 was required to drive a multi wheeler

Class C means “any rigid bodied goods vehicle above 3.5 tonnes” and covers both tractor units and 8 wheelers. It would even cover a decapod if any has ever existed.

Yes he can. Class C = rigid goods vehicles, no limit on axles or weight.

A tractor unit is so obviously a rigid goods vehicle, when it is solo, that I fail to see why people are questioning whether it can be driven on a C. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

In mine and the bosses day a class 2 was required to drive a multi wheeler

Wow so you could only ride a unicycle on a Class 2? :laughing:

Anything with more than one wheel would be a multiwheeler :laughing:

I think we all know what you mean though.

Coffeeholic:
Yes he can. Class C = rigid goods vehicles, no limit on axles or weight.

A tractor unit is so obviously a rigid goods vehicle, when it is solo, that I fail to see why people are questioning whether it can be driven on a C. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

This is what i have sai to my boss but he wants proof. have e mailed dvla. But cannot find any links other than cheshire ploce website

Try this link to the DVLA:

dvla.gov.uk/drivers/vehicle_ … 20Vehicles