Can I drive a tractor unit on a class c licence?

Can I drive just a tractor unit on its own with a class c licence?

i think you can only if the fifth wheel is removed otherwise NO
but that’s only my opinion and i might be told i am wrong!! have to wait and see?
ROG will know the answer :laughing: :wink:

I asked my instructor this when I did my C licence, he said I could, and I don’t see why you can’t since your not towing a trailer.

There used to be a time where if you had a class 2 licence and drove a tractor unit by itself the fifth wheel had to be locked. So I was told.

You can drive a tractor unit on a class 3 so long as it’s a 2 axel unit.

its a grey area with the fifth wheel removed yes with it locked maybe with it normal possibly. I hope this helps

I thought I would be able to due to it being less than 7.5t. You get 6 legger rigids though so what would be the difference if the unit was a 4x2 or 6x2?

Jesus Christ!!!
Are you all mental!!!
A tractor unit, whether it is a 4x2 or a 6x2 or any other configuration, is a rigid Large Goods Vehicle. Therefore you will require a Class C licence to drive it.
This changes when yopu attach a trailer, as it becomes a Large Goods Vehicle towing a trailer then you need a C+E.
There used to be a requirement to make a tractor unit an incomplete vehicle by disabling the fifth wheel, but this requirement was removed some time ago.
So the answer is YESYOU CAN DRIVE A TRACTOR UNIT ON A CLASS C LICENCE…and breathe…

You can drive a tractor unit on a class 3

Sorry not intending to be thick but I got my licence when it was only C for a vehicle over 7.5t and C+E for being able to tow a trailer with that C class vehicle.

I understand that class 2 are rigids and class 1 are artics but what are class 3’s?

YES you can drive a tractor unit on a Class C.

Anyone who says otherwise has obviously never been near a trade plate company.
Most of the new tractors delivered solo are done so by Class C drivers working for trade platers.

Its a bit like having a car with a tow bar, but no trailer capacity on your license. You can still drive the car, just don’t tow a trailer with it!

Alex

peteandbrenda:
i think you can only if the fifth wheel is removed otherwise NO
but that’s only my opinion and i might be told i am wrong!! have to wait and see?
ROG will know the answer :laughing: :wink:

He sure does :smiley: :smiley:

ROG:

mrpj:
This has been discussed countless times on here :laughing: . There is NO requirement to remove the fifth wheel, a solo tractor unit is simply a rigid goods vehicle therefore cat. C allows you to drive it.

CORRECT mrpj :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
IT SURE HAS :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thanks guys, big help. Only posted this up half an hour ago and look at the response. Do none of you work haha?

i’ve driven a tracter on a class 11 before. I think it’s entirely down to how the courts interpret the regulations. i don’t know if its ever been tried in court.

euroscot:
Thanks guys, big help. Only posted this up half an hour ago and look at the response. Do none of you work haha?

check out my signature…
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

faulkner:

You can drive a tractor unit on a class 3

Sorry not intending to be thick but I got my licence when it was only C for a vehicle over 7.5t and C+E for being able to tow a trailer with that C class vehicle.

I understand that class 2 are rigids and class 1 are artics but what are class 3’s?

OK, for you young uns :wink:
Class 1 is the old term for an artic licence - now C+E
Class 2 is the old term for a rigid with more than 2 axles - now C
Class 3 is the old term for a rigid with 2 axles - now C

A long time ago classes 2 & 3 got the right to pull a trailer - Ie Wagon & drag but that is now C+E

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

ROG:

euroscot:

check out my signature…
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

That can’t mean anything ROG, I’m only 21 and I’ve got that to for some reason lol

Tramper:
Jesus Christ!!!
Are you all mental!!!
A tractor unit, whether it is a 4x2 or a 6x2 or any other configuration, is a rigid Large Goods Vehicle. Therefore you will require a Class C licence to drive it.
This changes when yopu attach a trailer, as it becomes a Large Goods Vehicle towing a trailer then you need a C+E.
There used to be a requirement to make a tractor unit an incomplete vehicle by disabling the fifth wheel, but this requirement was removed some time ago.
So the answer is YESYOU CAN DRIVE A TRACTOR UNIT ON A CLASS C LICENCE…and breathe…

Correct Tramper :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

There is nothing on a LGV licence which states the plated weight to which you are entitled to drive only the class/type of vehicle

As someone else pointed out -
C class rigid that was designed to pull a DRAG (trailer)
Can a C driver use it without the drag :question: - of course they can:!:

I saw a post recently about it being based on the plated or design weight.

It was a slightly different question about “Can I drive an artic on a car licence? as it weighs less than 7.5 tonne.”

Maximum authorised mass
The term maximum authorised mass (MAM), which is also known as gross weight and permissible maximum weight, is the maximum weight of the vehicle that may be used on the road including the maximum load the vehicle may safely carry. This is normally shown on a plate fitted to the vehicle.

If a vehicle is unlikely to be used at its potential maximum weight most vehicles may be downplated, i.e. the vehicles springs or other components can be changed, so that only a lighter load can be carried. The maximum authorised mass or gross weight is a factor in determining what driving entitlement is required.

Then this appeared.
4.3. In addition, the amendments concern the position before the implementation of the Second European Council Directive (91/439/EEC) on driving licences into UK legislation. Before implementation of that Directive, drivers who held a category C1+E (medium-sized goods vehicle-with-trailer) entitlement through having passed a category B (car) driving test were entitled to drive tractor/trailer combinations within the C1+E category with a combined maximum authorised mass not exceeding 8.25 tonnes. Drivers who held category D1+E (minibus with trailer) entitlement through having passed a category B (car) driving test could drive such combinations with no upper weight limit and no tractor / trailer weight ratio restriction.

4.4. The changes brought in by the implementation of the Second Directive in UK legislation on 1 January 1997 were not intended to alter the existing entitlements although there was an obligation on Member States to agree ‘equivalences’ between obsolete entitlements and harmonised categories. This agreement provides that those drivers who automatically attained restricted category C1+E or D1+E pre-1997, by passing a category B driving test, retain that entitlement until the expiration of their existing licences. The Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999 inadvertently failed to make the appropriate provision for this. The instrument amending these Regulations restores the agreed position for such drivers. Two significant stakeholders, the Freight Transport Association and the Road Haulage Association, were consulted in respect of this amendment and both expressed support for it.

So I read it, and found this.

Category C

-motor vehicles other than those in category D and whose maximum authorized mass is over 3 500 kilograms; motor vehicles in this category may be combined with a trailer having a maximum authorized mass which does not exceed 750 kilograms;

Category C+E

-combinations of vehicles where the tractor vehicle is in category C and its trailer has a maximum authorized mass of over 750 kilograms;

But this could be the critical bit :bulb:

Category C:

category C vehicles with a maximum authorized mass of at least 10 000 kilograms and a length of at least 7 metres, capable of a speed of at least 80 km/h;

Category C+E

either articulated vehicles with a maximum authorized mass of at least 18 000 kg and a length of at least 12 metres, capable of a speed of at least 80 km/h; or combinations, made up of a category C test vehicle and a trailer at least 4 metres in length, with a maximum authorized mass of at least 18 000 kilograms and a langth of at least 12 metres, capable of a speed of at least
80 km/h;

Tramper:
Jesus Christ!!!
Are you all mental!!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: …oh, if only Coffeeholic could see this, he would no doubt be agreeing with everything you have just said!!!

Tramper:
YESYOU CAN DRIVE A TRACTOR UNIT ON A CLASS C LICENCE

correct. without a trailer it is classed as a rigid regardless of the fifth wheel.

conversley if you happen to come across one that ways less than 7.5 tons you can then drive it on a C1 licence. you probably wont find one of them though :laughing:

scanny77:

Tramper:
YESYOU CAN DRIVE A TRACTOR UNIT ON A CLASS C LICENCE

correct. without a trailer it is classed as a rigid regardless of the fifth wheel.

conversley if you happen to come across one that ways less than 7.5 tons you can then drive it on a C1 licence. you probably wont find one of them though :laughing:

I believe there are two certain things in life. Taxes and Death :stuck_out_tongue:

I also believe that this is a very important piece of text in this situation. It may seem strange to have a length and a gross weight, but that is what is wrote.

Category C:

category C vehicles with a maximum authorized mass of at least 10 000 kilograms and a length of at least 7 metres, capable of a speed of at least 80 km/h;

Category C+E

either articulated vehicles with a maximum authorized mass of at least 18 000 kg and a length of at least 12 metres, capable of a speed of at least 80 km/h; or combinations, made up of a category C test vehicle and a trailer at least 4 metres in length, with a maximum authorized mass of at least 18 000 kilograms and a langth of at least 12 metres, capable of a speed of at least 80 km/h;

So in my world. I think that you can only drive an artic unit on a cat C licence if it exceeds 22 feet and 10 inches, can maintain a speed of at least 80km and has a gross weight (MAM) of at least 10,000kg.

That would rule out taking a test on a JCB fastrac and without measuring a unit, would rule out most units I think.