Can I drive a tractor unit on a class c licence?

Wheel Nut:

scanny77:

Tramper:
YESYOU CAN DRIVE A TRACTOR UNIT ON A CLASS C LICENCE

correct. without a trailer it is classed as a rigid regardless of the fifth wheel.

conversley if you happen to come across one that ways less than 7.5 tons you can then drive it on a C1 licence. you probably wont find one of them though :laughing:

I believe there are two certain things in life. Taxes and Death :stuck_out_tongue:

I also believe that this is a very important piece of text in this situation. It may seem strange to have a length and a gross weight, but that is what is wrote.

Category C:

category C vehicles with a maximum authorized mass of at least 10 000 kilograms and a length of at least 7 metres, capable of a speed of at least 80 km/h;

Category C+E

either articulated vehicles with a maximum authorized mass of at least 18 000 kg and a length of at least 12 metres, capable of a speed of at least 80 km/h; or combinations, made up of a category C test vehicle and a trailer at least 4 metres in length, with a maximum authorized mass of at least 18 000 kilograms and a langth of at least 12 metres, capable of a speed of at least 80 km/h;

So in my world. I think that you can only drive an artic unit on a cat C licence if it exceeds 22 feet and 10 inches, can maintain a speed of at least 80km and has a gross weight (MAM) of at least 10,000kg.

That would rule out taking a test on a JCB fastrac and without measuring a unit, would rule out most units I think.

Are these quotes for vehicles that trainees take tests in or for driving once the licence is gained :question: :question:

ROG:

Wheel Nut:

scanny77:

Tramper:
YESYOU CAN DRIVE A TRACTOR UNIT ON A CLASS C LICENCE

correct. without a trailer it is classed as a rigid regardless of the fifth wheel.

conversley if you happen to come across one that ways less than 7.5 tons you can then drive it on a C1 licence. you probably wont find one of them though :laughing:

I believe there are two certain things in life. Taxes and Death :stuck_out_tongue:

I also believe that this is a very important piece of text in this situation. It may seem strange to have a length and a gross weight, but that is what is wrote.

Category C:

category C vehicles with a maximum authorized mass of at least 10 000 kilograms and a length of at least 7 metres, capable of a speed of at least 80 km/h;

Category C+E

either articulated vehicles with a maximum authorized mass of at least 18 000 kg and a length of at least 12 metres, capable of a speed of at least 80 km/h; or combinations, made up of a category C test vehicle and a trailer at least 4 metres in length, with a maximum authorized mass of at least 18 000 kilograms and a langth of at least 12 metres, capable of a speed of at least 80 km/h;

So in my world. I think that you can only drive an artic unit on a cat C licence if it exceeds 22 feet and 10 inches, can maintain a speed of at least 80km and has a gross weight (MAM) of at least 10,000kg.

That would rule out taking a test on a JCB fastrac and without measuring a unit, would rule out most units I think.

Are these quotes for vehicles that trainees take tests in or for driving once the licence is gained :question: :question:

Yes Rog, they come from this EU document (91/439/EEC) and I believe they are the specifications for trainees but as there is no other documents in the frame at the moment. I believe it could be important.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:31991L0439:EN:HTML

scanny77:

There are plenty of tractor units that weigh less than 7.5tonnes (all but the biggest 4x2 units do as well as some of the lightest 6x2 ones) but it’s not the actual weight that matters, it’s the PLATED weight and you’ll do well to find a “normal” tractor unit plated at 7.5tonnes or less.

Paul

peteandbrenda:
i think you can only if the fifth wheel is removed otherwise NO

This is a common myth and as most others have said on this thread is completely false. Without a trailer a unit is simply a rigid goods vehicle and you can perfectly legally drive it on a category C entitlement.

I wonder if the people who claim the 5th wheel has to be removed to make it legal on the basis of it needing to be incapable of towing a trailer also insist on the coupling being removed from a rigid set up to tow a drag trailer before they will drive it?

Paul

ROG:

Wheel Nut:
Yes Rog, they come from this EU document (91/439/EEC) and I believe they are the specifications for trainees but as there is no other documents in the frame at the moment. I believe it could be important.

The DSA has spec on what the min and max are for each catagory of LGV test vehicle.

Tramper:
Jesus Christ!!!
Are you all mental!!!
A tractor unit, whether it is a 4x2 or a 6x2 or any other configuration, is a rigid Large Goods Vehicle. Therefore you will require a Class C licence to drive it.
This changes when yopu attach a trailer, as it becomes a Large Goods Vehicle towing a trailer then you need a C+E.
There used to be a requirement to make a tractor unit an incomplete vehicle by disabling the fifth wheel, but this requirement was removed some time ago.
So the answer is YESYOU CAN DRIVE A TRACTOR UNIT ON A CLASS C LICENCE…and breathe…

Is the right answer.

Could the next person to start this same thread yet again please give it the title “Groundhog Day”? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

repton:

peteandbrenda:
i think you can only if the fifth wheel is removed otherwise NO

This is a common myth and as most others have said on this thread is completely false. Without a trailer a unit is simply a rigid goods vehicle and you can perfectly legally drive it on a category C entitlement.

I wonder if the people who claim the 5th wheel has to be removed to make it legal on the basis of it needing to be incapable of towing a trailer also insist on the coupling being removed from a rigid set up to tow a drag trailer before they will drive it?

Paul

It goes back to when vehicles could be delivered without a 5th wheel on a car license, untill someone realised that they were probably still plated at least 16.60t . This was stopped a number of years ago, meaning a lot of truck reps had to take their tests

:laughing:

Could the next person to start this same thread yet again please give it the title “Groundhog Day”? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
[/quote]

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Simon :smiley:

GROUNDHOG DAY

ROG:
GROUNDHOG DAY

Jesus Rog, don’t do that again! You scared the hell out of me.

But…this…thread, is exactly the same…aaaargh!

Need a lay down now.

Alex

Scarab:

ROG:
GROUNDHOG DAY

Jesus Rog, don’t do that again! You scared the hell out of me.

But…this…thread, is exactly the same…aaaargh!

Need a lay down now.

Alex

THAT’S GROUNDHOG DAY AGAIN :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Mr B:
i’ve driven a tracter on a class 11 before. I think it’s entirely down to how the courts interpret the regulations. i don’t know if its ever been tried in court.

That is probably the most sensible post of the day :wink:

Wheel Nut:

Mr B:
i’ve driven a tracter on a class 11 before. I think it’s entirely down to how the courts interpret the regulations. i don’t know if its ever been tried in court.

That is probably the most sensible post of the day :wink:

I don’t think there will be a need to try it in court.
VOSA, DVLA & DSA accept that this can be done and all are all executive agencies of the DfT which is the Government and the Govt make the laws.

Here’s a thought. Without a trailer an arctic unit can’t carry any goods, so is it still a goods vehicle ? :smiling_imp:

DAFMAD:
Here’s a thought. Without a trailer an arctic unit can’t carry any goods, so is it still a goods vehicle ? :smiling_imp:

I think you will find that it still comes under LGV classification.
The only way to get around it is to turn it into a private vehicle.

Coming next…

Does Eddie Stobart borrow money from the Mormons?"

the question only needed the answer yes

why do people bring up class 2 class 3 bollony
the licence cats changed years ago

hitch:
why do people bring up class 2 class 3 bollony the licence cats changed years ago

Cos the average age of a trucker is over 50 and thats what they were brought up with - you’ll get use to some of us old [zb]s :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

PS - I’m used to using the newer catagories cos I have to for my job - when I can get one :cry: :cry:

ROG:
PS - I’m used to using the newer catagories cos I have to for my job - when I can get one :cry: :cry:

Bah! go on agency for a bit and do some real trucking, you know you want to :wink:

Scarab:

ROG:

Bah! go on agency for a bit and do some real trucking, you know you want to :wink:

I wish - but the old back won’t take it anymore - opening a curtainsider will pull it and put me out of action for days, sometimes pulling the fifth wheel handle will do the same but the ‘driving’ bit is OK - know anyone who wants a ‘steering wheel attendant’ :question: