Uniforms

I did a night shift at Tesco doncaster last night, most of the lads were in uniform, T-shirt, Fleece jacket etc. I think some drivers uniforms look smart, quite like the green machine’s uniform. Anyway, I was waiting for paperwork when 2 of their drivers turn up wearing shirt & tie, this was their own choice(it must have been cause they both wore different style shirts/tie). It got me wandering why they would do this? The Tesco drivers I come across as an agency driver all act like their [zb] don’t stink but surely to god wearing a shirt & tie to do a supermarket job is slightly over the top? Got me thinking, I wander if they go home and tell the mrs that they run the job :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Each to their own i guess, there is a chap who tips in our yard on scrap metal who’s always in a shirt and tie :slight_smile:

Also a guy works for roadways in Leeds, he’s always in shirt and tie but he’s the only 1 with a new wagon so must pay off. Not for me tho I get to mucky.

Stobart gags aside, not so many years ago collar and tie was the norm especially on the smarter side of road transport. Check out some of the pics in the “old lorries” section.

Still see it today with some of the older farmers I deliver to, more so if they’re going to the mart.

Nothing wrong with taking a bit of pride in your appearance.

I have the option of polo shirt / T shirt or shirt and tie I prefer shirt and tie if it gets too hot I can unclip tie and take it off just down to preference

There is a company up here that issues shirt /tie

Depends how they were brought up my uncle ( long retired in his 90’s ) still wears a collar & tie each day but each to there own

I worked for Exel Logistics for 3 years back in the late 80’s and we had short sleeve light blue shirts and a navy tie to go with it, the tie was optional but I used to wear it in winter to keep meself warm but I did feel a bit tidier with it on.

we have the option of shirts or polo shirts and i went for shirts purely down to the fact i thing they look smarter and i do take my time ironing them, however as i iron the collar as per the army way wearing our company tie isnt an issue

one of the shunters at co-op thurrock always wears a shirt+tie

If a job involves a uniform then its not for me. I’d rather be a scruffy individual than part of a machine.

i dont own a shirt or tie :laughing:

i do buy top quality work gear from a single supplier though and the tops are all embroidered with my company name and number including hiviz vests. image matters these days whether as a sole trader or company driver. nobody wants tramps portraying the company image to the final customer which is understandable considering the competition for contracts

scanny77:

Nor do I :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

animal:

scanny77:

Nor do I :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

come to think of it, on a chilly day i probably wear somewhere in the region of £200 worth of workgear and im pretty certain that is more than all my civvys are worth. i like to look the part at work, off duty i dont give a monkeys. i dont need designer labels to go shopping or to knockhill

Uniform don’t cost me anything and we (Stobart) get loads of kit!! Wear my own clobber when parked up to avoid spotter attention! :laughing:
They have an aversion to decent work gloves though! :unamused:

dessy:
Uniform don’t cost me anything and we (Stobart) get loads of kit!! Wear my own clobber when parked up to avoid spotter attention! :laughing:

No such thing as decent work gloves

bubsy06:

dessy:

Ahh!! That’ll be the reason then Bubsy! :wink:

dessy:

bubsy06:

dessy:

Ahh!! That’ll be the reason then Bubsy! :wink:

I have tried allsorts and they always fall apart within a few weeks

ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-10-Pairs- … 2380wt_698

These are pretty good. I bought 10 pairs two and a half months ago, and I’m only now on my third pair :slight_smile: They get a bit slippy when wet, but apart from that good kit as far as I’m concerned (unless you want to pay silly money for them)
The first pair got binned after a week or so when I dropped them into a puddle, so the second pair have lasted me about 9 weeks.

go with leather drivers gloves for around £7.50. i have been using the same gloves all year and there is still plenty of wear in them. im not sure how accessible they are as i buy all my gear from a small workwear supplier rather than MSA, truckstop etc

Wish could get gloves that fit

Do but my workwear for small independent supplier as like to wear uniform as saves my clothes so need less of them