Undertaking

What is it these days. Quite often I’ve been overtaking a fellow hgv driver only to start being under took by the same driver because gravity has given him a helping hand. When you tap the horn you get a blank look as if they have no idea what the issue is.

Combination of speed limiter and cruise control. But you can’t really get the hump because someone won’t ride the brakes, come off cruise and let you in, because you wouldn’t come off the cruise and slow down approaching the down hill, assuming the loaded vehicle would ■■■■ off. By you I mean drivers in general. You can’t have it both ways I guess

But isn’t it ment to be illegal to exceed 60 and illegal to undertake?

You can undertake if you are doing on or below the speed limit and the vehicle in the outside lane is under the speed limit, also you are not permitted to move out from your lane after an undertake for a reasonable distance, or something like that :laughing:

Is it defined as undertaking though, as long as you don’t pull out in front of the overtaking vehicle that is. And I’m not sure about exceeding 60, with gravity doing the work and not the power train. Not likely to find a copper that will look twice

It is annoying I’ll grant that. The same ones that “let it go” downhill as you’re passing are probably the same ones that ■■■■ and bleat when they’re overtaking a car and it speeds up.

If someone is passing me as we go downhill I keep my eye on the Tacho speed display and make sure it doesn’t creep up. Dunno why I bother tbh as nobody seems to pay the favour back to me!

I have the opposite problem.

I’ll often be driving along, fully freighted, minding my own business a few clicks below my limited speed when some agency driver who’s been up my arse for the last fifteen miles on his limiter will pull out to overtake me with his miniscule speed difference just as we get to a downhill section.

Gravity takes over and said agency driver is then on his horn with a big red face because I don’t want to burn my brakes out to aid his poorly judged overtaking manoeuvre.

Bloody agency drivers.

Contraflow:

I’ll often be driving along, fully freighted, minding my own business a few clicks below my limited speed when some agency driver who’s been up my arse for the last fifteen miles on his limiter will pull out to overtake me with his miniscule speed difference just as we get to a downhill section.

Gravity takes over and said agency driver is then on his horn with a big red face because I don’t want to burn my brakes out to aid his poorly judged overtaking manoeuvre.

Bloody agency drivers.

Contraflow, allow me to introduce you to pickandmix. Oh, I see you’ve already met :grimacing:

not an issue as you will be stuck at 55mph on the limiter and gravity takes them to 60mph and leaves you standing. Perfectly legal although they run the risk of getting an overspeed but some companys aint bothered about that and some are.

James the cat:

Contraflow:

Bloody agency drivers.

Contraflow, allow me to introduce you to pickandmix. Oh, I see you’ve already met :grimacing:

I ain’t agency lol

pickandmix:
What is it these days. Quite often I’ve been overtaking a fellow hgv driver only to start being under took by the same driver because gravity has given him a helping hand. When you tap the horn you get a blank look as if they have no idea what the issue is.

As im at 44T most of the time im always hammering it down hills on motorways so if someone has not got past on the flat or going up the hill beforehand they can watch me disappear and try again in a few miles if they want. Also if you beeped at me i would be puzzled as well as you will be the one in the second lane holding people up :wink:

Overspeed is not a infringement so i try and get as many as possible, probably saves me 2mins driving every day so it adds up over a year :smiley:

Contraflow:

Bloody agency drivers.

and you know they are agency do you,get over your obsession contraflow its getting boring now

I tend to let the engine brake hold me on downhill sections. If some wants to overtake me doing 1mph faster then I’ll happily knock the cruise control down a couple of clicks but I’m not going to start riding the brake pedal when gravity helps me along.

Is it that big of an issue? It isn’t usual long until a motorway levels out anyway.

Contraflow:
because I don’t want to burn my brakes out to aid his poorly judged overtaking manoeuvre.

Don’t you have an engine brake or retarder then ?

bald bloke:

Contraflow:
because I don’t want to burn my brakes out to aid his poorly judged overtaking manoeuvre.

I drive a MAN.

mrginge:

pickandmix:

As im at 44T most of the time im always hammering it down hills on motorways so if someone has not got past on the flat or going up the hill beforehand they can watch me disappear and try again in a few miles if they want. Also if you beeped at me i would be puzzled as well as you will be the one in the second lane holding people up :wink:

Overspeed is not a infringement so i try and get as many as possible, probably saves me 2mins driving every day so it adds up over a year :smiley:

What happened to respecting your fellow driver. Everyone seems to have the [zb] em attitude.

bald bloke:

Contraflow:

Depends how effective it is. The one in the Daf CF I’m currently using seems to be really good at holding my speed at 90kph downhill one day, then some days it just doesn’t seem to try or goes about it half arsed while I watch my speed creep up and up and up, on the same hills I’ve had no problem with before. Same load, same truck, same brake, different results.

pickandmix:

mrginge:

pickandmix:

What happened to respecting your fellow driver. Everyone seems to have the [zb] em attitude.

Like others have mentioned im not going to sit on the brakes for 1/2 mile to let someone in when i can jolly off and in 5 miles time they can have another go.

Contraflow:

bald bloke:

Contraflow:

I drive a MAN.

So do i and its got a fantastic retarder

People who overtake climbing a hill and then expect the other driver to ease off the gas to get them out of looking like a prat are more annoying. Car transporter drivers on the A34 particularly.