Undertaking

pickandmix:
What is it these days. Quite often I’ve been overtaking a fellow hgv driver only to start being under took by the same driver because gravity has given him a helping hand. When you tap the horn you get a blank look as if they have no idea what the issue is.

I also tend to ignore idiots who blast the horn & wave their fists for no good reason or because they themselves are zb drivers:!:

pickandmix:
But isn’t it ment to be illegal to exceed 60 and illegal to undertake?

Just because it’s illegal doesn’t stop people doing it. It’s not illegal to undertake, it’s just frowned upon.

the maoster:
It is annoying I’ll grant that. The same ones that “let it go” downhill as you’re passing are probably the same ones that ■■■■ and bleat when they’re overtaking a car and it speeds up.

If someone is passing me as we go downhill I keep my eye on the Tacho speed display and make sure it doesn’t creep up. Dunno why I bother tbh as nobody seems to pay the favour back to me!

I get paid by the hour so I can’t see the point of speeding, it’s Que jumpers I don’t like.

Hammy747:

bald bloke:

Contraflow:
because I don’t want to burn my brakes out to aid his poorly judged overtaking manoeuvre.

Don’t you have an engine brake or retarder then ?

Depends how effective it is. The one in the Daf CF I’m currently using seems to be really good at holding my speed at 90kph downhill one day, then some days it just doesn’t seem to try or goes about it half arsed while I watch my speed creep up and up and up, on the same hills I’ve had no problem with before. Same load, same truck, same brake, different results.

Why do you have the same load every time - Isn’t it about time you delivered it & got a different one■■?

I don’t get why people are bothered about overtaking/undertaking or whatever. If it takes me a few mins to get past you, and then you speed up with gravity as we’re parallel and go away…well so what? I’ll just sit on my cruise control and if I catch you up again I’ll go past you. It’s warm in my cab, the radio works and I don’t care about you or what you’re doing unless you cause me problems. Being faster than me downhill really isn’t an issue, it doesn’t cause me any problems at all. I drive in a straight line and usually at a constant speed (on the motorway, I presume that’s what is being discussed here) so what’s the issue?

happyone:
I get paid by the hour so I can’t see the point of speeding, it’s Que jumpers I don’t like.

Why,? Does your pay switch to salaried when your in a queue ?

I’ve never done it I don’t like dead bodies. :wink:

What winds me up is the Scania you’ve just overtaken with the curtains half way across the window that I’m sure knock it into neutral because you’ve dared to undertake them.

My own general rule is if someone has the edge on the flat and uphill I let them go and don’t pull past them again. Stage 1 on the exhaust is almost always enough to let them get on.

Toddy2:

Hammy747:

bald bloke:

Contraflow:
because I don’t want to burn my brakes out to aid his poorly judged overtaking manoeuvre.

Don’t you have an engine brake or retarder then ?

Depends how effective it is. The one in the Daf CF I’m currently using seems to be really good at holding my speed at 90kph downhill one day, then some days it just doesn’t seem to try or goes about it half arsed while I watch my speed creep up and up and up, on the same hills I’ve had no problem with before. Same load, same truck, same brake, different results.

Why do you have the same load every time - Isn’t it about time you delivered it & got a different one■■?

I wish! Touring the same band/artist for 4 months so it’s the same equipment night after night.