Understanding of weight limits!

Got called in the office today when i got back from my run, to be told that i have been reported to police for going through a weight limit about a month ago.

The place in question was Bradford on Avon, and i went over a bridge with a weight limit of 18t.

I was driving a rigid at the time, i saw the weight limit coming up, so i checked my weigh bridge printout and it showed i was about a tonne under 18t, so i decided to go over it thinking i would be fine.

I have since found out that apparently they go on the gross weight of the vehicle, which is 26t, rather than the actual weight of the vehicle at the current time, which i did not realise :frowning:

Have asked the company i work for a copy of the weigh bridge ticket just so i have some evidence of the reason why i went over it.

Just wandering what the police are going to hit me with? will it be 3 points and £100 fine or will it be more than that?

Thanks guys and girls.

5 points and 650 fine

Always a good idea to know the rules and regs but you are not the only one. What I find even worse is the amount of drivers that do not have a clue about the Highway Code something any professional should know back to front.

Bradford-on-Avon is well known and has its own very dedicated bunch of self-appointed people who enforce the law, which - if you were in a 26t gross rigid - you have definitely broken, as these things are based on your GVW rather than actual weight at the time of the offence.

:open_mouth:

I almost daily go over bridges that say max 18T if I’m currently under it, I too wasn’t aware that it go’s by the GVW,
I will have to change the way I plan my routes from now on, don’t fancy getting a fine and points, that’s the last thing I want.

colz1234:
I was driving a rigid at the time, i saw the weight limit coming up, so i checked my weigh bridge printout and it showed i was about a tonne under 18t, so i decided to go over it thinking i would be fine…

so if you saw this is it with or without a load :open_mouth:

Axle_weight_limit_sign_-Coppermine-_18481.jpg

I’d say that’s axle weight not exceeding 2 tonne loaded or empty .

I frequently go over the bridge in Bradford on Avon. There is usually and old biddy in high vis noting the plates down.

However I have always assumed the signs indicate gross vehicle weight, not net weight.

Thought everyone else did the same, how else would the limit be enforced?

The signed weight limits are plated weight, aka what is on the vehicle registration document. Its done that way because they don’t have a realistic way to weigh every single vehicle that goes through that limit so the easiest and most cost effective way is to do it on plated weight.

Colz, your weighbridge ticket isn’t worth the paper its printed on as a defence as its done on plated weight. For all they know you could’ve topped up or reloaded elsewhere and be running full weight.

There’s 2 (well, 3) types of weight restriction. Environmental and structural (and axle) limits.

Environmental limits are signed by the picture of the truck with the with weight limit in the picture, e.g. 7.5T. These are usually put up to stop trucks using residential/unsuitable roads as rat-runs, generally as a response to nimbyism. You can get a fine, but it’s a non-endorseable offence, and normally included in areas where they have decriminalised enforcement (i.e., it’s a council fine). Plenty of “trading standards sent me a fine” stuff going around, dunno whether that’s true or not. Often you’ll have except for access, or except for loading/unloading exemptions on a plate below the sign.

Structural weight limits are signed simply with the weight limit with MGW below it. So, if a sign says e.g. 18t MGW, it means no vehicles over 18t MGW - i.e., whats on your ministry plate. Some limits are as low as 3t! The sign will normally be accompanied by a ‘Weak Road’ or ‘Weak Bridge’ plate below it. These are put in place where the road/bridge is/may structurally be unable to handle anything much heaver than the signed weight, or if repeatedly sending heavier vehicles over it could cause damage.

The only exemption to this is where it’s plated below it ‘Except Unladen Vehicles’, where you can go over it if your MGW is higher than the limit, and, IIRC, even if your unladen weight is higher than the limit.

Going over these is endorsable, 3 points + £100 fine, I believe.

Axle limits are the same as the above MGW limits, normally these signs appear on longer bridges/stretches of road that can’t cope with the weight imposed by a single axle. These seem to be much rarer than the normal MGW limits, but I’d take them more seriously, it seems that they are signed this way because imposing X weight from a single axle is likely to cause the bloody thing to collapse. AFAIK, it’s again the plated axle-weight, regardless of being loaded or not (unless signed otherwise).

Supposedly the reason behind it being a MGW limit rather than an ‘actual weight at the time’ limit, is to make enforecement easier. They don’t need to drag you to a weighbridge, they just check your ministry plate!

HTH :smiley:

As an aside, on one of our runs, most of the drivers use a particular route which includes going over a narrow railway over-bridge with an 18T MGW limit. The trucks can weigh anything up to 32T when they are going over (yes, nearly double the limit). I refuse to use it and happily take the 10-15min detour… I keep telling these muppets one day they’ll come across a copper having a bad day, and they’ll find themselves with a fine and license endorsement. Oh well. More worrying though is that it’s a bridge over a high-speed railway line. Imagine you went over it way over weight, part of it collapsed onto the line and a train hit it. Consequences don’t bear thinking about, but not one of these useless ■■■■■ gives a toss. Maybe they think their foreign license will save them from a manslaugter charge too? :unamused:

It’s surprising just how many people don’t know about mgw limits, they’re probably the first to complain when their employer books them onto a dcpc course.
Never mind fully understanding the wtd ■■■■■■■■, weight limits are basic stuff.

I too got caught out at the Bradford on Avon bridge in a 26 tonne rigid. Copper was on other side of bridge, and duly booked me for it. £30 fine no points (this was 6/7 years ago though.

Conan the Librarian:
I too got caught out at the Bradford on Avon bridge in a 26 tonne rigid. Copper was on other side of bridge, and duly booked me for it. £30 fine no points (this was 6/7 years ago though.

Were you using a sat nav? Only ask because it is a well signed weight limit.

Muckaway:

Conan the Librarian:

Were you using a sat nav? Only ask because it is a well signed weight limit.

I was, but I missed a turn somewhere :blush: completely my own fault, no complaints.

I’m getting massively ■■■■■■ off with limits at the moment.

Every other drop I do is on a 7.5t limit road. They are of the “environmental” type… that is, we just don’t want lorries down this road. I’m in an 18t and just recently Brent council have started putting smart cars out and ticketing for incorrect vehicle for zone. Boss is spending ages sending appeals with PODs and invoices to reject the tickets but it has got to the stage that he is spending ages contesting all these wretched tickets which are always immediately dropped.

Got another one today and another letter is going to them AGAIN tomorrow. But it is just 'cos people don’t WANT a lorry down their street… until they need a delivery :bulb: … and then WE have to apply for an exemption!

Don’t get me started on arbitrary width restrictions that just force larger vehicles to take long diversions to get back to where they were, in the proccess clogging major routes and just to access the other end of a residential street you were already on! :smiling_imp:

For using BOA over the weight limit, they let you off the first time, but if caught again they have been known to fine one to two thousand pounds at the magistrates court.
The volunteers give the trucks number plate details to Trading Standards who then use Dvla to locate the owner.
Google lorry watch Bradford on Avon.
First time is a warning letter.

We had a letter from the Police last week demanding to know why one of our 18tonners was seen on a 7.5t limit road In Stroud.

I think the boss replied something along the lines of “Stroud is a tiny place full of 7.5t limit roads. We needed to get to a customer within one of these limits, how else do we get there? Fly?”

Haven’t heard back yet. :smiley:

Looooo:
I’m getting massively ■■■■■■ off with limits at the moment.

Every other drop I do is on a 7.5t limit road. They are of the “environmental” type… that is, we just don’t want lorries down this road. I’m in an 18t and just recently Brent council have started putting smart cars out and ticketing for incorrect vehicle for zone. Boss is spending ages sending appeals with PODs and invoices to reject the tickets but it has got to the stage that he is spending ages contesting all these wretched tickets which are always immediately dropped.

Got another one today and another letter is going to them AGAIN tomorrow. But it is just 'cos people don’t WANT a lorry down their street… until they need a delivery :bulb: … and then WE have to apply for an exemption!

Don’t get me started on arbitrary width restrictions that just force larger vehicles to take long diversions to get back to where they were, in the proccess clogging major routes and just to access the other end of a residential street you were already on! :smiling_imp:

Why are you getting ■■■■■■ off about it when its your boss that sends you there and its his problem to sort out, your just a driver.

wouldn’t worry, when we done barriers about 3 years ago on the A404 the highways agency planned our route over a weak bridge which we were all overweight for.

there were so many better ways we could have gone.

weeto:
Why are you getting ■■■■■■ off about it when its your boss that sends you there and its his problem to sort out, your just a driver.

That is the answer to many posts on here. Drivers drive, not run the company unless they happen to be an OD. I have worked with many drivers who seem to think that they have a say in many things which concern the operation, but not them personally.