Underfloor tractor unit

I recall seeing a Bussing tractor unit with an underfloor engine in the early 70s but I have been unable to find any pictures the only one which I can find is this one but with a M A N cab whereas the one I recall had the raised roof Bussing cab I do know who the photo belongs to as I have got it off the web so apologies to the owner

cheers Johnnie

sammyopisite:
I recall seeing a Bussing tractor unit with an underfloor engine in the early 70s but I have been unable to find any pictures the only one which I can find is this one but with a M A N cab whereas the one I recall had the raised roof Bussing cab I do know who the photo belongs to as I have got it off the web so apologies to the owner

cheers Johnnie

Hey Johnnie, Put the question on the German Stefan site,they will know the answer, I’m interested in the solution.
Nice pic never seen, maybe a conversion. It was tried in the '90’s with a 4x4 underfloor tractive unit in Germany.

Eric,

Hi Eric I know they were quite popular as a wagon and trailer as we used to get them coming into our yard with machinery for storage or transshipping for installing by hand .
cheers Johnnie

P S I should be in Oustende later this week :wink:

sammyopisite:
Hi Eric I know they were quite popular as a wagon and trailer as we used to get them coming into our yard with machinery for storage or transshipping for installing by hand .
cheers Johnnie

P S I should be in Oustende later this week :wink:

:bulb:

There we are chaps ‘Der Unterfluer’ Bussing from the Sixties and the Seventies venture into the UK market. Franky.

Hi Franky that bottom picture is the same model which I saw in the early 70s in Rotterdam I was starting to think I must have imagined it as I had been looking on the net and I could not find much about them as they were unusual in tractor unit form the only advantage I could see would be a flat floor in the cab and possibly quieter. Thank you
cheers Johnnie

Sammyopersite Leyland made a double drive Beaver tractor unit (fuel tanker) with a under floor Gardner horizontal
engine.the LAD cab must have been spacious with no bonnet.i suppose you know about it really.
John

3300John:
Sammyopersite Leyland made a double drive Beaver tractor unit (fuel tanker) with a under floor Gardner horizontal
engine.the LAD cab must have been spacious with no bonnet.i suppose you know about it really.
John

Hi John no I did not know anything about it and it was the thread about the Atkinson with the underfloor engine which disturbed my grey cell regarding the Bussing as that was over 40 years ago :unamused:

cheers Johnnie :wink:

Westerman had a few under floor Man’s. I stopped in Turkey to lend a hand to German with an under floor MAN draw bar, I was quite surprised how easy it was access for the repair.
That was back in the day when drivers actually helped each other and didn’t just drive past.

Jeff…

Büssing thread:
baumaschinenbilder.de/forum/ … r=0&page=1

Not many tractor units were built with underfloor engines, presumably because of a lack of space in the short wheelbase to package the tanks, gearbox etc. Most had the engine in the usual place.

I guess this 1965 invention from Büssing is a good example, both technique and logistics!

The U7/150 150hp was installed

There was a firm in Morley Leeds that ran Bussings with the underfloor engine , they were wagon and drags , a german company Kline Weale i think .

The decklaster Büssing was operational with De Rooy for car- and truckdistribution, as also the saviem was then

+hiya someone must remember the IICR fodens that looked likethat Bussing…they operated near Middlesbourough
(cargo fleet steel works) the 8 wheel units pulled trailers about 80 feet long the unit was under the front of the trailer
the only did local work.it would be 1967/8 ish
John

With all respect…Büssing was NOT known for tractors and underfloor-engines, I agree with Anorak
that less space was available for components and technicians would have hated this truck, despite
the fact that you ‘only’ needed to climb in the workshop-tunnel for maintenance. Why this invention
was not proceeded by other marques■■? Only busses did, again Büssing, Ikarus and other companies
but all of them placed the engine (space-consuming in front, noise!) to the end, with good access!

This Dutch draw-bar outfit might shed some light on the subject: a Bussing with underfloor engine, I believe… Robert

The Bussing wagon and drag was quite common and there was a lot about in the late 60s early 70s but I have only seen the one tractor unit and the picture of the one with the M A N cab on so these must have been quite rare. Thank you for all your imput
cheers Johnnie

+hiya someone must remember the IICR fodens that looked likethat Bussing…they operated near Middlesbourough
(cargo fleet steel works) the 8 wheel units pulled trailers about 80 feet long the unit was under the front of the trailer
the only did local work.it would be 1967/8 ish
John

Do you mean this one John, TA Bulmer of Middlesbrough, right period 1965 Reg, they used the low line crane chassis.
Cheers Franky.

Bulmers Foden.jpg

I’ve had a look through the first five pages of that LKW Stefan thread (it runs to over 300 pages) and can only find underfloor-engined rigids. All the tractor units had a tall radiator grill, indicating that the engine was under the cab. On another note:

Do the white and the purple vehicles have wider cabs than the others, or is it my dodgy eyesight? :laughing:

[zb]
anorak:
I’ve had a look through the first five pages of that LKW Stefan thread (it runs to over 300 pages) and can only find underfloor-engined rigids. All the tractor units had a tall radiator grill, indicating that the engine was under the cab. On another note:

Do the white and the purple vehicles have wider cabs than the others, or is it my dodgy eyesight? :laughing:

I think the others have just got wide ‘steers’, giving the illusion of narrower cabs - in which case your eyesight is fine!! Robert :slight_smile: