UNBELIEVABLE!

Would anyone seriously take this on at such a low salary?

1st mistake…40 hours working in the uk.
really means.running across and back from the uk mainland.
they have a nice looking newish daf,though its not to say that you will ever see the inside of it…
them trucks need paid for you know.

Being on the Job Centre’s books and bearing in mind the responsibilities and conditions placed on Unemployment Benefit claimant’s there might not be much choice. :bulb:

Which is why strong ‘militant’ unions are a good thing not a bad thing in stopping wage levels being used as a tool to under cut rates across the board.Having said that £7.30 ph might be a better relative wage in NI than a lot more in the South East for example.

Carryfast:
Being on the Job Centre’s books and bearing in mind the responsibilities and conditions placed on Unemployment Benefit claimant’s there might not be much choice. :bulb:

Which is why strong ‘militant’ unions are a good thing not a bad thing in stopping wage levels being used as a tool to under cut rates across the board.Having said that £7.30 ph might be a better relative wage in NI than a lot more in the South East for example.

dont you be starting to hijack this now its only 2 posts in…

and its a pish wage over here though itl not be that depending on who you are when your wanting the job…
anyone “militant” over here usually goes for a long walk off a short pier on a quiet night. :wink:

Relax, 20p an hour pay rise coming in April :laughing:

dieseldog999:
1st mistake…40 hours working in the uk.
really means.running across and back from the uk mainland.
they have a nice looking newish daf,though its not to say that you will ever see the inside of it…
them trucks need paid for you know.

I dunno that company myself, but as the joke goes
" For Sale: truck, high miles, bunk never slept in."

dieseldog999:
and its a pish wage over here

Really. :unamused:

propertynews.com/Property/Po … nning-Way/

rightmove.co.uk/property-for … 99947.html

Had a couple of “Knowhows” around today. Compared to the “Keen” EEs I got last time they came around, this time it was a miserable pair of brits, one male and female who got the hump because I asked them to actually bring the cooker I’ve just bought into the house, rather than dump it outside my front gate. :imp:

If this kind of work is what attracts £7.30ph, then surely if you had a C1 licence - you’d be burning the C2 part by that point :confused:

There will always be those stupid enough to work for these slave labour rates, just as there will always be those stupid enough to work for agencies.

Pat Hasler:
There will always be those stupid enough to work for these slave labour rates, just as there will always be those stupid enough to work for agencies.

Pat not ALL agency’s are bad. It’s down to the individual driver to make sure he isn’t being shafted by the crp ones, the same as it’s down to the individual job seeker to make sure he isn’t going to be shafted by an employer, on silly hourly rates.

Carryfast:

dieseldog999:
and its a pish wage over here

Really. :unamused:

propertynews.com/Property/Po … nning-Way/

rightmove.co.uk/property-for … 99947.html

yes.really. :unamused:

I’ve always thought that if you can’t afford to run your business, make a profit, and pay actually half decent wages - you ain’t really got a viable business.

If the only way they can keep going is to pay frankly ■■■■■ money then they should just give up and do something their good at.

its the owner that has the viable business,its the driver that gets pish wages…apart from the few big players that have had their necks on the vosa chopping block if they didnt fit digicards and mostly run legal,then its much the same for lots here…400 ish per week,for 5x 12 hour shifts minimum.and lets not start on uk work for the subbies.

dieseldog999:
its the owner that has the viable business,its the driver that gets pish wages…apart from the few big players that have had their necks on the vosa chopping block if they didnt fit digicards and mostly run legal,then its much the same for lots here…400 ish per week,for 5x 12 hour shifts minimum.and lets not start on uk work for the subbies.

That’s what I’m getting at - if the only way the owner makes money is by screwing down employees wages - it isn’t viable in my eyes. Admittedly my very biased drivers eyes.

kjw21:
I’ve always thought that if you can’t afford to run your business, make a profit, and pay actually half decent wages - you ain’t really got a viable business.

If the only way they can keep going is to pay frankly [zb] money then they should just give up and do something their good at.

Why does anything other than make a profit matter to the boss?
The boss doesn’t care whether you can live on the wage, just that you’ll turn up and do the job…

Surely having a secure, settled and reliable workforce is preferential to continual employee turn over, the constantly having to hope the new unknown driver doesn’t screw up that one valuable customer.

I get your point that it’s certainly a way to make money - just not IMHO the best or even the easiest

Evil8Beezle:

kjw21:

If the only way they can keep going is to pay frankly [zb] money then they should just give up and do something their good at.

The boss doesn’t care whether you can live on the wage, just that you’ll turn up and do the job…

Ironically it’s probably more case of under cutting by minimising wage levels,to compete for an ever reducing amount of work v capacity and just to maintain profitability.The ever reducing work being a result of the low economic growth caused by low consumer spending,caused by low disposable incomes and over supply of the labour market and transport market in general by low wage expectation foreign labour.You can add to that the perfect storm of unsustainable fuel taxation and low productivety caused by over regulated overall vehicle dimensions/weights. :bulb: On that note without structural change in that regard things can only get worse in terms of downward pressure on wage levels v prices in real terms across the board.

kjw21:
Surely having a secure, settled and reliable workforce is preferential to continual employee turn over, the constantly having to hope the new unknown driver doesn’t screw up that one valuable customer.

I get your point that it’s certainly a way to make money - just not IMHO the best or even the easiest

the thing is…that if your not on for one of the main players that mostly work legal,then the rest are all busy poor men scrabbling for scraps.,hence they all pay similar dosh whether your running bent or otherwise.
no point in jumping from the frying pan into the fire,and theres always a good turnround of drivers especially for the subbies that work you flatout.so its a merrygoround of captive pool of crap employers and drivers that either wont go and work legal,or dont want,or have the ability to make money on trip money…the big few pay runs either by wages,or trip,and you can run legal if you want…
the rates are depressed to death plus cut even more as theyre based on fuel from eire. if you wernt buyng it across the border,then it would cost you to do the trip.

kjw21:

There is some logic in having a secure and reliable workforce, but accountants don’t see it like that. They only see the bottom line and as they can’t fully quantify factors like reliability, damage and customer satisfaction, they’ll push the limits until things break. See my signature! :wink:

CF also makes a point, but I’m not going to get into that conversation! :laughing:

Carryfast:

Evil8Beezle:

kjw21:

Ironically it’s probably more case of under cutting by minimising wage levels,to compete for an ever reducing amount of work v capacity and just to maintain profitability.The ever reducing work being a result of the low economic growth caused by low consumer spending,caused by low disposable incomes and over supply of the labour market and transport market in general by low wage expectation foreign labour.You can add to that the perfect storm of unsustainable fuel taxation and low productivety caused by over regulated overall vehicle dimensions/weights. :bulb: On that note without structural change in that regard things can only get worse in terms of downward pressure on wage levels v prices in real terms across the board.

Oh Christ, I agree with CF. Help me, help me now!!!