ULEZ madness (Farce)

Carryfast:

JeffA:
I paid £600 for one that was 20 years old a few months ago - and even that sailed through ULEZ. So apart from vintage car owners - I dunno who’se driving these cars that will be affected by ULEZ. Certainly not “poor” people. If you can afford road tax and petrol you can afford £600 for a car for sure.

So it’s ok for you to run a 20 year old piece of junk when it suits you.
Exactly which supposed 20 year old car would comply with ULEZ and how many compliant cars and where, with one year MOT, can you find for 600 quid.
As opposed to normal working class cars of well under 20 years old worth well over £2k but which would add Kahn’s ULEZ tax to an NHS worker’s commuting costs.
The big question is why won’t the Tories, who state that they are against it, repeal the London Government Act thereby putting Bexley, Bromley, Kingston, Barnet, Redbridge, Havering, Hillingdon etc back where they belong and smashing Kahn’s powers over his stolen London Boroughs tax cash cow overnight.

No it doesn’t “suit me”. I don’t drive different cars for different days of the week. It was all I could afford at the time.

Which 20 year old peice of junk would still pass ULEZ? Mine would. So there’s not going to be many cars that wouldn’t pass if a 20-odd year old £600 car passes is there? And if there is don’t tell me it’s going to kill anyone buying a car for a grand - just running a car needs more money than that every year. Plus the bonus that you arn’t poisoning as many people.

And if anyone offerered me 2 grand to replace mine like the ULEZ scheme would I would get down on my knees and thank god for ULEZ - like any other person with not much money to burn would.

JeffA:

Carryfast:

JeffA:
I paid £600 for one that was 20 years old a few months ago - and even that sailed through ULEZ. So apart from vintage car owners - I dunno who’se driving these cars that will be affected by ULEZ. Certainly not “poor” people. If you can afford road tax and petrol you can afford £600 for a car for sure.

Exactly which supposed 20 year old car would comply with ULEZ and how many compliant cars and where, with one year MOT, can you find for 600 quid.
As opposed to normal working class cars of well under 20 years old worth well over £2k but which would add Kahn’s ULEZ tax to an NHS worker’s commuting costs.
The big question is why won’t the Tories, who state that they are against it, repeal the London Government Act thereby putting Bexley, Bromley, Kingston, Barnet, Redbridge, Havering, Hillingdon etc back where they belong and smashing Kahn’s powers over his stolen London Boroughs tax cash cow overnight.

No it doesn’t “suit me”. I don’t drive different cars for different days of the week. It was all I could afford at the time.

Which 20 year old peice of junk would still pass ULEZ? Mine would. So there’s not going to be many cars that wouldn’t pass if a 20-odd year old £600 car passes is there? And if there is don’t tell me it’s going to kill anyone buying a car for a grand - just running a car needs more money than that every year. Plus the bonus that you arn’t poisoning as many people.

And if anyone offerered me 2 grand to replace mine like the ULEZ scheme would I would get down on my knees and thank god for ULEZ - like any other person with not much money to burn would.

Exactly which type of car are you referring to bearing in mind that an NHS worker’s 2006 petrol or 2015 diesel Vauxhall Zafira won’t comply with ULEZ like numerous others and even if it qualifies for Kahn’s two grand it will have cost the unfortunate owner a lot more than that to buy and maintain and to replace with a compliant version.
No problem they can add two hours to their 12 hour shift and £5 or more to their daily commuting costs by using public transport.

JeffA:

Carryfast:

JeffA:

in 2021 and 2022 - I put my old banger through an MOT only to be told that my car, running like a sewing machine as they both were - had to be scrapped immediately, as they had emissions meaning I could not legally drive the car away from the garage…

I reckon that the garages have been strongly encouraged by Government to mortally fail any and all cars over a certain age on emissions alone. The standard patter is the garage doing the MOT quites you around double the value of the car to “get it through this MOT” - They.don’t.want’.the.bloody.work.fixing.old.bangers.anymore!

deliberately price themselves out of their own market, rather than quote you a reasonable amount to update the cat converter/replace the exhaust and all the other actual things that may lead to an emissions fail… :imp: :imp: :angry:

Carryfast:
To use my own commute example I live and work outside of the ULEZ.But one of the route options goes via London Borough of Richmond.
If I use public transport it’s either two buses TfL routes K3 and 216 which run at stupid time intervals and takes 30 minutes each to get there plus waiting time so around 11/2 hours total so 3 hours there and back and £7 total fares.
I can use the train for half of that journey which which runs at even worse time intervals than the buses and adds £6 to that total fare.
As opposed to using my car which takes less than half an hour each way and half a gallon of petrol using the better non ULEZ all Surrey route.
Guess what’s going to happen to ‘that’ route from next month when everyone with a non compliant car, van etc avoids the ULEZ route.
Luckily I don’t like diesels and specced the 2015 Zafira as petrol.

That is fair enough, only those with nothing else to do all day could stomach a doubling or tripled travel time and feel.like they have not paid a heavy penalty.

I use the a308/a309 often to avoid just j10 roadworks or any m25 potentially if the route fits that.

What happens in 2030 - is likely the largest civil disobedience EVER when over a billion people around the world REFUSE to give up their petrol/diesel cars for the simple reason they can’t afford, and could never afford an electric car, let alone a new car!

Government attempts to fine 10m+ people in this country for “using their old car as normal” - only to find that we all tear the fines up, and refuse to work for any employer that attempts an attachment of earnings order upon us…

Either the People rule this country, consent to rule this country - or we get a elitist dictatorship that would be switfly removed once mass public casualties take place…

Winseer, ^^^^ did you have your Covid vaccination? I suspect yes. That’s precisely why there’ll never be a civil uprising. The end.

the maoster:
Winseer, ^^^^ did you have your Covid vaccination? I suspect yes. That’s precisely why there’ll never be a civil uprising. The end.

:neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

Carryfast:

njl:

Carryfast:

njl:
From a completely self centred viewpoint, while I have been enjoying the relative quiet of school holiday traffic levels around London for a couple of weeks, dare I hope it carries on through September if the ULez expansion does change peoples travel preferences I wonder.

The main change will be in route preference.
Kahn will as usual just shift Londons traffic burden further out just like in the case of the congestion charge and the present ULEZ boundary.The resulting traffic carnage can clearly be seen in all the areas outside of those boundaries.Including the M25 being turned into a basket case by local London traffic.
The home counties should apply a congestion charge of our own but which exempts residents.On the principle of if London wants to hit us for transitting London then we hit them.Also why should we be lumbered with re routing traffic, going miles out of its way, that would/should otherwise be using more direct shorter routes closer to/ through London’s bloated illegitimate turf such as travelling between west and east Surrey like Walton to Banstead which before the London Government Act would have been all Surrey without the laughable now London Boroughs of Kingston or Sutton getting in the way acting as Kahn’s tax collectors.

From my outsiders perspective when I drive around in the new zone and consider the number of train stations, tube stations, tram stops and red busses about I would optimistically suggest some current car journeys might become public transport ones, even if reluctantly chosen by the traveller due to the new economic penalty.

To use my own commute example I live and work outside of the ULEZ.But one of the route options goes via London Borough of Richmond.
If I use public transport it’s either two buses TfL routes K3 and 216 which run at stupid time intervals and takes 30 minutes each to get there plus waiting time so around 11/2 hours total so 3 hours there and back and £7 total fares.
I can use the train for half of that journey which which runs at even worse time intervals than the buses and adds £6 to that total fare.
As opposed to using my car which takes less than half an hour each way and half a gallon of petrol using the better non ULEZ all Surrey route.
Guess what’s going to happen to ‘that’ route from next month when everyone with a non compliant car, van etc avoids the ULEZ route.
Luckily I don’t like diesels and specced the 2015 Zafira as petrol.

Every petrol car first registered in 2005 would have passed ULEZ anyway. In fact a lot of petrol cars after 2001 would pass.

So you can buy a car for £500 that would pass ULEZ. There’s really no excuse for poisoning kids just because you’re too tight to pay £500.

Winseer:
What happens in 2030 -

is the (planned) end of the sale of new petrol & diesel cars.
gov.uk/government/publicati … ivery-plan

No one is going to be made to give up their existing vehicle. So all the rest of your waffle (below) about civil disobedience etc is just your own total misunderstanding of what is going on in the world.

BTW you left out your usual references to “deep state” - whatever that might actually mean to you, to me it just sounds like standard nonsense from conspiracytheoriesarereal.com

Winseer:
is likely the largest civil disobedience EVER when over a billion people around the world REFUSE to give up their petrol/diesel cars for the simple reason they can’t afford, and could never afford an electric car, let alone a new car!

Government attempts to fine 10m+ people in this country for “using their old car as normal” - only to find that we all tear the fines up, and refuse to work for any employer that attempts an attachment of earnings order upon us…

Either the People rule this country, consent to rule this country - or we get a elitist dictatorship that would be switfly removed once mass public casualties take place…

The CAZ/ULEZ/ZEZ’s have raked in £418million & counting up til now. :open_mouth: localgov.co.uk/Vehicle-emis … 418m/57803

If this goes without a hitch for 2030, then I look forward to buying up 4x4s with empty tanks for around the scrap value before long…

Zac_A:

Winseer:
What happens in 2030 -

is the (planned) end of the sale of new petrol & diesel cars.
gov.uk/government/publicati … ivery-plan

No one is going to be made to give up their existing vehicle. So all the rest of your waffle (below) about civil disobedience etc is just your own total misunderstanding of what is going on in the world.

BTW you left out your usual references to “deep state” - whatever that might actually mean to you, to me it just sounds like standard nonsense from conspiracytheoriesarereal.com

So what you’re suggesting then is that a good time to open a new mechanics business is looming…

All those people with only second hand cars now - need them maintained and fixed on a regular basis…

That solves one end of the problem perhaps, but what are the plans for doing away with the petroleum forecourts?

So we’re all gonna have a second hand motor. Who’s gonna fix the electric ones? - An electrician who also happens to be a mechanic?

Winseer:
is likely the largest civil disobedience EVER when over a billion people around the world REFUSE to give up their petrol/diesel cars for the simple reason they can’t afford, and could never afford an electric car, let alone a new car!

The future will be shank’s pony, bicycle or public transport to get into big towns/cities, Worcestershire county council are the latest to announce a 20 year transport strategy. " The plan is intended to reduce the number of car parks in the city centre and increase the number of cycle lanes. It also includes measures to restrict heavy goods lorries and introduce a bike hire scheme and an improved pedestrian route." localgov.co.uk/Worcester-en … egy-/57810

lancpudn:
The future will be shank’s pony, bicycle or public transport to get into big towns/cities, Worcestershire county council are the latest to announce a 20 year transport strategy. " The plan is intended to reduce the number of car parks in the city centre and increase the number of cycle lanes. It also includes measures to restrict heavy goods lorries and introduce a bike hire scheme and an improved pedestrian route." localgov.co.uk/Worcester-en … egy-/57810

That should thin the herd down a bit in more ways than one, make them ride bikes and starve them at the same time by not allowing HGV access.
The USSR lives on in Worcs it would appear.

FFS, learn to use the quotes properly

Winseer:
So what you’re suggesting then is that a good time to open a new mechanics business is looming…

All those people with only second hand cars now - need them maintained and fixed on a regular basis…

That solves one end of the problem perhaps, but what are the plans for doing away with the petroleum forecourts?

So we’re all gonna have a second hand motor. Who’s gonna fix the electric ones? - An electrician who also happens to be a mechanic?

Why the drama? Petrol and diesel cars will still be getting used, they already need maintenance and there are already lots of mechanics in existence.

“Petroleum forecourts” , or as us regular folk call them, “garages”, will gradually decline in petrol/diesel sales while likely morphing into rapid charging points but their “shop” aspect will probably increase in size, essentially becoming Kwik-e-Marts with charging points in already familiar locations

Winseer:

Typical Winseer OTT tosh: our “old cars” will be pushed out of use by market forces, ie declining facilities for keeping them going (garages selling diesel/petrol). There will not be any fines for squeezing more usage out of them

Winseer:

Wow! Inside the brain of a dedicated conspiracy theorist: There is no scarier place known to mankind :laughing:

The expanded ULEZ goes live today. fleetnews.co.uk/news/fleet- … -goes-live

I have been noticing a mk3 Granada in Hampton quite often over the last few weeks.

autoexpress.co.uk/consumer- … s-fees?amp

Edit mk2, getting cortinas and Granadas mixed up in my memory!

njl:
I have been noticing a mk3 Granada in Hampton quite often over the last few weeks.

Might have been better if that link had showed a Granada, it’s showing an Austin Allegro :open_mouth:

This is a Mark 2 Granada (lovely ride as I recall)

Ford_Granada_MkII_pre_facelift_ca_1980.jpg

Zac_A:

njl:

Might have been better if that link had showed a Granada, it’s showing an Austin Allegro :open_mouth:

I had a very rare manual 5 speed 2.8i Ghia X pack Estate it was an '84 so would have been exempt from next year.Serious rust in its inner rear wheel arches consigned it to the banger racing track but with hindsight I wish I’d have saved it and fitted it with a 302 V8.They handle much better than the Capri with their IRS and wishbone front end.Hopefully classic owners caught in ULEZ will realise that it’s a rolling 40 year threshold.
But haven’t seen any Granada’s recently in that area but there is a MK1 Cortina often seen running around in regular use across the Richmond and Spelthorne borders seemingly taking advantage of its exempt status.

Zac_A:

njl:

Perhaps as I am not quite old enough to remember the 60’s, I had assumed that Granadas and Cortinas had always been around in parallel. It shocked me slightly to realise that is only a mk2!