ULEZ madness (Farce)

Winseer:
I wonder if the Home Counties that are inside the M25 - will break away from “Greater London” status, and become independent, in the near future?

They are either in the Home Counties as defined by the 1964/5 London Government Act borders or they are Greater London.The M25 has absolutely nothing to do with it.
The big question is if the Tories are as against Khan as they say then why won’t they repeal the London Government Act and bring Bexley, Bromley, Redbridge, Havering, Barnet, Kingston, Surbiton, Sutton, etc back where they belong and reduce Khan’s powers back to the old LCC type boundary ?.
Also reinstate Middx County by rejoining Spelthorne with Hillingdon and Enfield and reinstateTwickenham.As opposed to Spelthorne in Surrey and Twickenham Borough now part of London Borough of Richmond.

Why is ULEZ going to impoverish anyone? For a car worth less than £60 you are going to be given two grand. Anyone driving an old car must be BEGGING them to bring ULEZ to his town.

I think people get confused and think “I paid ten grand for a car five years ago - that’s an “old banger” and they will take it off me”. ULEZ isn’t about cars like that. If you paid more than £60 for a car from a bloke you met drunk in the pub then you’re ok. It’s only cars WORSE than that affected.

Try and find an old banger you’ve ever driven in the last 25 years that would be affected by ULEZ - the vehicle checker is linked above.

JeffA:
Why is ULEZ going to impoverish anyone? For a car worth less than £60 you are going to be given two grand. Anyone driving an old car must be BEGGING them to bring ULEZ to his town.

I think people get confused and think “I paid ten grand for a car five years ago - that’s an “old banger” and they will take it off me”. ULEZ isn’t about cars like that. If you paid more than £60 for a car from a bloke you met drunk in the pub then you’re ok. It’s only cars WORSE than that affected.

Try and find an old banger you’ve ever driven in the last 25 years that would be affected by ULEZ - the vehicle checker is linked above.

Great so you’d obviously be happy to accept around 2k for a V8 petrol Discovery with a year MOT and a manual box.Let me know when you find one and I’ll pay you 500 quid more than commissar Kahn is offering.

Since local authorities got the gig to issue PCN’s they’re now saying penalty charges aren’t high enough & want to raise the fines. :open_mouth: transport-network.co.uk/Lon … hike/19078

Carryfast:

JeffA:

Great so you’d obviously be happy to accept around 2k for a V8 petrol Discovery with a year MOT and a manual box.Let me know when you find one and I’ll pay you 500 quid more than commissar Kahn is offering.

If you can afford vintage cars I cant see ulez bothering you too much.

JeffA:

Carryfast:

JeffA:

The irony when what you’re saying is that £12.50 per day to enter the stolen GLA boroughs isn’t an issue for the rich.
A pre ULEZ pushrod engine Disco ain’t a ‘vintage’ car it’s just a good bet for cheap and easy to maintain motoring.Like many other cheap to run older cars and which is why they are worth a lot more than Kahn’s pittance and it’s why you wouldn’t be flogging one for 2-2 and a half grand any time soon.
The truth is they’ll more likely be exported to exempt ‘developing’ countries where emissions conveniently don’t matter to suit Kahn’s far left driven agenda.
As for the Tories they obviously prefer the idea of this cash based scam, that hits the lowest paid the hardest.Than to repeal the London Government Act which the Tories created and which ironically gave Commissars Livingstone and Kahn carte blanche to steal from the home counties’ working classes, to subsidise their radical far left inner city core votes and aspirations.

Carryfast:
The irony when what you’re saying is that £12.50 per day to enter the stolen GLA boroughs isn’t an issue for the rich.
A pre ULEZ pushrod engine Disco ain’t a ‘vintage’ car it’s just a good bet for cheap and easy to maintain motoring.Like many other cheap to run older cars and which is why they are worth a lot more than Kahn’s pittance and it’s why you wouldn’t be flogging one for 2-2 and a half grand any time soon.
The truth is they’ll more likely be exported to exempt ‘developing’ countries where emissions conveniently don’t matter to suit Kahn’s far left driven agenda.
As for the Tories they obviously prefer the idea of this cash based scam, that hits the lowest paid the hardest.Than to repeal the London Government Act which the Tories created and which ironically gave Commissars Livingstone and Kahn carte blanche to steal from the home counties’ working classes, to subsidise their radical far left inner city core votes and aspirations.

Shock horror, a post by Carryfast that contains the word “scam” … yawn!

Carryfast:

JeffA:

Carryfast:

JeffA:

I’m not saying it’s not an issue - it’s the price of a sandwich and a coffee - but if you’re rich enough to go vintage why not drive a car that won’t give kids asthma and the choke the rest of us on your pollution? Don’t be so selfish.

Do you think we should all choke on your fumes because you feel like driving a vintage car? Ok - as long as you have an open door policy where everyone in the country can walk into your house after a heavy curry on top of cheese and egg, hold you down and break wind in your face. That sound fair?

It’s not going to hit the “low-paid”. Apart from vintage cars it’s only a £50 peice of scrap that would fail ULEZ. If you can afford to pay for petrol and road tax you can afford £100 for a car that would pass ULEZ. And they’re going to give you TWO GRAND for another car anyway so the poor are going to get £1900 cash in their pocket. Sounds great to me.

I’d sure like to know where you can buy a running car for less than £400 these days, regardless of age…

You see ads online for “Car, spares only - £500-£1000” meaning it ain’t just broke, it’s so knackered that even the tinyest nuts and bolts on it are cracked…

I ended up having to pay £1500 for a 05 plate last year, but at least that’s been straight-forward enough to get through the MOT this year…

(I never buy an old banger with less than 10 months MOT on it)

I think my local mechanic @ BigM - died during the lockdown, and there seems to already be a dearth of mechanics that’ll even touch an old banger now…

Winseer:
I’d sure like to know where you can buy a running car for less than £400 these days, regardless of age…

You see ads online for “Car, spares only - £500-£1000” meaning it ain’t just broke, it’s so knackered that even the tinyest nuts and bolts on it are cracked…

I ended up having to pay £1500 for a 05 plate last year, but at least that’s been straight-forward enough to get through the MOT this year…

I think my local mechanic @ BigM - died during the lockdown, and there seems to already be a dearth of mechanics that’ll even touch an old banger now…

Practically impossible. I paid £600 for one that was 20 years old a few months ago - and even that sailed through ULEZ. So apart from vintage car owners - I dunno who’se driving these cars that will be affected by ULEZ. Certainly not “poor” people. If you can afford road tax and petrol you can afford £600 for a car for sure.

My car isn’t ulez compatible and is not a cheap car.
It is however a diesel.
To go into central London would cost me £30 if I paid after the event.

JeffA:
I paid £600 for one that was 20 years old a few months ago - and even that sailed through ULEZ. So apart from vintage car owners - I dunno who’se driving these cars that will be affected by ULEZ. Certainly not “poor” people. If you can afford road tax and petrol you can afford £600 for a car for sure.

So it’s ok for you to run a 20 year old piece of junk when it suits you.
Exactly which supposed 20 year old car would comply with ULEZ and how many compliant cars and where, with one year MOT, can you find for 600 quid.
As opposed to normal working class cars of well under 20 years old worth well over £2k but which would add Kahn’s ULEZ tax to an NHS worker’s commuting costs.
The big question is why won’t the Tories, who state that they are against it, repeal the London Government Act thereby putting Bexley, Bromley, Kingston, Barnet, Redbridge, Havering, Hillingdon etc back where they belong and smashing Kahn’s powers over his stolen London Boroughs tax cash cow overnight.

trevorking1964:
It is however a diesel.

Just don’t bother going, the place is a ■■■■■■■■ anyway!

bigstraight6:

trevorking1964:
It is however a diesel.

Just don’t bother going, the place is a [zb] anyway!

Except in this case the definition of central London means the stolen turf of the surrounding counties.Which affects numerous residents and travel within and between those Counties, with a transit tax.

JeffA:

Winseer:

Practically impossible. I paid £600 for one that was 20 years old a few months ago - and even that sailed through ULEZ. So apart from vintage car owners - I dunno who’se driving these cars that will be affected by ULEZ. Certainly not “poor” people. If you can afford road tax and petrol you can afford £600 for a car for sure.

I’ve not been able to buy a running car with valid MOT still on it for less than a grand since the lockdown…

Cars “for spares” available for between £500 and £900 maybe, but they are already out of MOT and sometimes are Cat C as well. No good to me, who’s not an acomplished mechanic to do the work myself.

From a completely self centred viewpoint, while I have been enjoying the relative quiet of school holiday traffic levels around London for a couple of weeks, dare I hope it carries on through September if the ULez expansion does change peoples travel preferences I wonder.

njl:
From a completely self centred viewpoint, while I have been enjoying the relative quiet of school holiday traffic levels around London for a couple of weeks, dare I hope it carries on through September if the ULez expansion does change peoples travel preferences I wonder.

The main change will be in route preference.
Kahn will as usual just shift Londons traffic burden further out just like in the case of the congestion charge and the present ULEZ boundary.The resulting traffic carnage can clearly be seen in all the areas outside of those boundaries.Including the M25 being turned into a basket case by local London traffic.
The home counties should apply a congestion charge of our own but which exempts residents.On the principle of if London wants to hit us for transitting London then we hit them.Also why should we be lumbered with re routing traffic, going miles out of its way, that would/should otherwise be using more direct shorter routes closer to/ through London’s bloated illegitimate turf such as travelling between west and east Surrey like Walton to Banstead which before the London Government Act would have been all Surrey without the laughable now London Boroughs of Kingston or Sutton getting in the way acting as Kahn’s tax collectors.

Carryfast:

njl:

Kahn will as usual just shift Londons traffic burden further out just like in the case of the congestion charge and the present ULEZ boundary.The resulting traffic carnage can clearly be seen in all the areas outside of those boundaries.Including the M25 being turned into a basket case by local London traffic.
The home counties should apply a congestion charge of our own but which exempts residents.On the principle of if London wants to hit us for transitting London then we hit them.Also why should we be lumbered with re routing traffic, going miles out of its way, that would/should otherwise be using more direct shorter routes closer to/ through London’s bloated illegitimate turf such as travelling between west and east Surrey like Walton to Banstead which before the London Government Act would have been all Surrey without the laughable now London Boroughs of Kingston or Sutton getting in the way acting as Kahn’s tax collectors.

From my outsiders perspective when I drive around in the new zone and consider the number of train stations, tube stations, tram stops and red busses about I would optimistically suggest some current car journeys might become public transport ones, even if reluctantly chosen by the traveller due to the new economic penalty.

njl:

Carryfast:

njl:

From my outsiders perspective when I drive around in the new zone and consider the number of train stations, tube stations, tram stops and red busses about I would optimistically suggest some current car journeys might become public transport ones, even if reluctantly chosen by the traveller due to the new economic penalty.

To use my own commute example I live and work outside of the ULEZ.But one of the route options goes via London Borough of Richmond.
If I use public transport it’s either two buses TfL routes K3 and 216 which run at stupid time intervals and takes 30 minutes each to get there plus waiting time so around 11/2 hours total so 3 hours there and back and £7 total fares.
I can use the train for half of that journey which which runs at even worse time intervals than the buses and adds £6 to that total fare.
As opposed to using my car which takes less than half an hour each way and half a gallon of petrol using the better non ULEZ all Surrey route.
Guess what’s going to happen to ‘that’ route from next month when everyone with a non compliant car, van etc avoids the ULEZ route.
Luckily I don’t like diesels and specced the 2015 Zafira as petrol.

Are there any jobs in London that don’t involve driving that are even worth doing these days?