UK's most dangerous roads

I’ve been commissioned to write a feature for one of the truck trade mags on the UK’s most dangerous roads. I have a list from the Road Safety Foundation charity (a new one on me) but I need to get a wide range of opinion. I’ll be talking to the RHA, FTA, BRAKE etc, but I want some input from drivers.You are, after all, at the sharp end of this issue. So, any candidates for lethal roads welcome, and please give your reasons why. Any comments made could be used in print. Cheers Dan.

In reply to Wheel Nut, it’s Commercial Motor.

The A350 from Shaftesbury to Blandford - you pray that another hgv isn’t coming in the opposite direction as the road is very narrow more like a B road

That village has a flashing warning sign,for vehicles to pull over and let the trucks pass through,the A36 at Codford,River Wyle area,is called the valley of death,by the locals,high fatalities.

the m25, its a notorious roadworks black spot, they appear out of nowhere, you find your self suddently swerving as a “merge in turn” and a line of cones suddenly appears 3 ft infront of you without warning,

It isn’t the roads that are dangerous, it is the pillocks that use them!

Who did you say is paying for this commission?

groovy greg:
the m25, its a notorious roadworks black spot, they appear out of nowhere, you find your self suddently swerving as a “merge in turn” and a line of cones suddenly appears 3 ft infront of you without warning,

It’s ROG’s lot who came up with that idea.They prefer it if everyone can merge as close as possible to the cones to maximise utilisation of the closed lanes as much as possible :unamused: :open_mouth: :laughing: .Which is why they usually put in a sign telling you that there’s roadworks 1 mile ahead but they only tell you which lanes are closed when you’re too close to the closure for it to make any difference. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Which is probably why they fitted all trailers with side guards to help zip merging by pushing the cars on the inside out of the way instead of going over the top of them. :open_mouth: :laughing:

there was a program on tv a couple of years ago claimed that the M621 in Leeds between J1 and J5 was the most dangerous motorway due to the number of slip roads in a short distance

Carryfast:

groovy greg:

It’s ROG’s lot who came up with that idea.They prefer it if everyone can merge as close as possible to the cones to maximise utilisation of the closed lanes as much as possible :unamused: :open_mouth: :laughing: .Which is why they usually put in a sign telling you that there’s roadworks 1 mile ahead but they only tell you which lanes are closed when you’re too close to the closure for it to make any difference. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Which is probably why they fitted all trailers with side guards to help zip merging by pushing the cars on the inside out of the way instead of going over the top of them. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Have you manged to email your idea to the Department for Transport yet?

mpat134:
there was a program on tv a couple of years ago claimed that the M621 in Leeds between J1 and J5 was the most dangerous motorway due to the number of slip roads in a short distance

its a nitemare when leeds are playing esp with the roadworks

bubsy06:

Carryfast:

groovy greg:

Have you manged to email your idea to the Department for Transport yet?

No zb em it’s more fun watching the the cars being pushed out of the way with those side guards.No point in fitting them if you’re not going to use them. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The A350 from Shaftesbury to Blandford - you pray that another hgv isn’t coming in the opposite direction as the road is very narrow more like a B road

I agree :angry:

The A 303 has seen its fair share of fatalities especially on the single carriageway sections.

A9 isnt a dangerous road but it users are - its probably claimed more lorry drivers lives than most. You could be going about your business and 2 artics coming round the bend with one trying to overtake - think they put something in the water up there.

Any road on which tipper drivers are travelling :grimacing:

Hiya …try the A52 Ashbourne to Stoke. the best route is pick up the A523 calton moor to Leek and then along the A53…After leaving Asnbourne you travel about 6 miles and the A52 (Stoke ) is sign posted left
this road travels about 4 miles(at this point you can see as far as Craven arms and the reakin hill.
at this point you start to run down hill for 2 to3 miles not to steep but your on the brakes you then go through a small village (Whiston) you go up a rise round a right hander go forward 200 yards around a left hand hairpin and down a 1in5 at the same time droping into Frogall(another village )with a crossroads in the bottom.NOT GOOD and worse going from stoke. i would think many drivers have thought never again
to this route.I know a chap who had used this road many times lost a one day old ERF and 22 tons of paving flags. he run out of brakes before getting to Whiston and thats the easy bit.Going up hill as you go round the right hand bend nr the top if your in a artic the drag on thr trailer wheels stop you going round the bend.at this point you run away backwards and usually tip over in the field, Yes its not good.
John

The A82 Glasgow to Inverness, several fatalities every year.

A9 Perth to Thurso, several fatalities every year.

A96 Aberdeen to Inverness, several fatalities every year.

A87 Invergarry to Uig, several fatalities every year.

All of these roads require upgrading badly, lots of campaigns/petitions to do so but the Scottish government think a new road bridge to ease congestion into Edinburgh is a better way to spend their money. After all, what’s a few deaths here and there when traffic is slowing to a crawl in the home of the scottish government?

I think a few years ago the A12 between Chelmsford and Colchester was apparently the most dangerous road in Britain, it certainly had a terrible surface, breaking up all over the place.
I guess for geological reasons, the Southern section of the M25 floods really easily in heavy rain and can be treacherous. That section of the M62 that crosses the resevoir/lake is horrible in the wind, I used to dread having to use it with an empty curtain.

Hiya …the road through Froghall (A52) it has had a few deaths over the years.Its the road its self.
not fast drivers.If you dont get your braking and gears Just 100% you can,t make the trip up / down
the hill. there,s people who just go round via Leek to avoid the Hill and the possibility of someone stuck.
If you have to stop . you,ll need a wrecker.
John

They can all be dangerous :exclamation:

id have to say the A82 aswell especially the bit around the top of loch lomond , especially in summer with the suicidal caravaners and coaches and the bit between ballachulish and fort william is another bit i hate