UK risks another HGV driver shortage

Missed this when published, but hope its true in any form, as may help stop salaries decreasing, something I’ve noticed in regard to adverts for jobs, or roadside services improve.

The part most interesting was the bit…?
‐--------
In April, the Government announced a £20million investment to improve security, lighting and shower rooms at roadside services.

Has anyone seen any improvements anywhere, cos I haven’t ? However don’t cover entire country, so might be happening, also wonder who gets the contracts to do this work, and how much is actually invested physically and how much is just to pay management and consultation fee’s

The plan for rail also states less if not no distance work done by road transport.Which obviously means home every day and no need for nights out.Nothing that the government says adds up.
Although the prospect of 15 hour shifts made up of 3 hours on the road and 12 hours of ‘other duties’/breaks at the rail freight hub and RDC might explain both.

They keep doing this every year now, I know the rates went up then down a bit but I keep seeing newbs saying they cannot even get a start anywhere, the two years bit seems to have come back or the must have had 12 months in the last 180 days?
I need to do my medical and cpc but seriously is it worth the grief with all the hoops to then not even get a shot? I let my license lapsed some time back because of all of the BS tctics and porr facilities and treatment from the pointy shoe brigade, do they just roll out this crap every year now to get the trainers more work?? Look in the facebook sites, loads asking for a start and cannot get one…Agencies stroke up the bs as well in my opinion…

Highly unlikely that any improvements will take place, This “Shortage” has been an issue for many years.

Last year it was due to drivers returning to the EU countries and the
DVLA wasn’t able to issue licences in time but we didn’t run out of food.

It is probably the driving schools and agencies moaning about lack of business that has triggered the concern this time.

Narc:
They keep doing this every year now, I know the rates went up then down a bit but I keep seeing newbs saying they cannot even get a start anywhere, the two years bit seems to have come back or the must have had 12 months in the last 180 days?
I need to do my medical and cpc but seriously is it worth the grief with all the hoops to then not even get a shot? I let my license lapsed some time back because of all of the BS tctics and porr facilities and treatment from the pointy shoe brigade, do they just roll out this crap every year now to get the trainers more work?? Look in the facebook sites, loads asking for a start and cannot get one…Agencies stroke up the bs as well in my opinion…

It must be a regional thing because our place is still taking on new passes. East mids however which is always bustling.

Yes,there is a lot more parking at Cambridge services noe

Sploom:
Yes,there is a lot more parking at Cambridge services noe

And Peterborough.

Not exactly recently but in recent tunes Cobham has had uts parking extended too.

That’s the issue. An ever shrinking population with an ever shrinking pool of prospective workers. After that big bulge between 60’s and 50’s (baby boomers) move into retirement, there is no one else to replace them. Not to mention that those soon retiring are at the top of their skills and productivity. No matter conditions, wages, etc, etc. It is a numbers game.

I would not be surprised if the HGV industry pays these rags to print this crap lol. Seems we get monthly articles about a HGV shortage.

osark:
File:UK Population Pyramid.svg - Wikipedia

That’s the issue. An ever shrinking population with an ever shrinking pool of prospective workers. After that big bulge between 60’s and 50’s (baby boomers) move into retirement, there is no one else to replace them. Not to mention that those soon retiring are at the top of their skills and productivity. No matter conditions, wages, etc, etc. It is a numbers game.

A lot of youngsters stay in academia with best intentions and driving isn’t on the radar. Sadly, many will find they can’t access their chosen career, but they probably feel a bit overqualified to drive a lorry, so don’t think about it.

maybe there are a lot of qualified drivers have found a better way of life only special kinds of people put up with (crap ) day in day out lets face it spied on all day dont do this dont do that give us your keys go sit in there we will call you when ready,na I think people have found a better way in most cases

Noremac:

osark:
File:UK Population Pyramid.svg - Wikipedia

A lot of youngsters stay in academia with best intentions and driving isn’t on the radar. Sadly, many will find they can’t access their chosen career, but they probably feel a bit overqualified to drive a lorry, so don’t think about it.

I have a distant relative who at 25 has just got his degree [cant remember what for] but has decided that he wants to be a "trucker", so hes gone out into the market, had a look around, asked me a few questions, and has started on a van with a fair sized outfit on their pallet network fleet, he intends to learn from the bottom up :wink:

I have others of a similar age group ringing me looking for work who have not taken this route, and have gone straight in head first and then wonder why they cant get the start on a V8 Scania doing 9-5 and home everynight with nothing earlier than a 06.00 start everyday & a lunchtime finish on a Friday :unamused:

adam277:
I would not be surprised if the HGV industry pays these rags to print this crap lol. Seems we get monthly articles about a HGV shortage.

Always got a half page advertorial story in the daily rags in the past about a driver shortage, with the bottom half full of adverts for truck driving schools trying to drum up business, nothing has changed.

It should be sorted in a year / two when labour get in ( I’ll be voting for them ) as one of there mp,s has just said on box , there is no need to send anyone to Rwanda or any where , we have vacancies in this country that they could fill , any one who wants to come should be welcomed
I would hope though there would be some kind of checks , housing would be sorted out before they implement this policy , I assume it will be in next few years

dozy:
It should be sorted in a year / two when labour get in ( I’ll be voting for them ) as one of there mp,s has just said on box , there is no need to send anyone to Rwanda or any where , we have vacancies in this country that they could fill , any one who wants to come should be welcomed
I would hope though there would be some kind of checks , housing would be sorted out before they implement this policy , I assume it will be in next few years

When was the last time you met a Somali in a work situation ?

The only two Ive ever met were in the gatehouse of the old Morrisons @ Cribbs about 2008/09, they were totally inept and were not there the following week, they had zero idea of what they were doing or any inclination to improve the way they were ■■■■■■■ around, and according to the guys who replaced them [Bulgarians], they all had had a week`s training prior to their placements :open_mouth:

These guys have never worked in their lives, the concept is alien, especially when you have been at war [civil] since before they were born, they are here for the ride :unamused:

Give me a Burundian any day of the week, now these lads can graft, same with the Romanian`s I mix with on a certain contract, absolute diamonds :bulb:

^^^^^^^
Nah all these illegal immigrants,.or ‘‘persecuted asylum seekers’’ (aye right :unamused: ) wouldn’t lower themselves to drive a truck…Haven’t you heard the official line that they are all qualified Doctors,.Dentists and Solicitors?
:laughing: :laughing:

dozy:

Where are they going to live when they get here then? We have a massive shortage of housing?1 bedroom flats offered at 650 a month is now the norm because of the over population we now face in England Wales and Ireland.

Wake up ffs

Narc:

dozy:

Where are they going to live when they get here then? We have a massive shortage of housing?1 bedroom flats offered at 650 a month is now the norm because of the over population we now face in England Wales and Ireland.

Wake up ffs

It’ll be fine, they’ll all muck in together…they can live 10 to a house :bulb: ,.
After all there are rarely families that come over, more young men of fighting age.
I can’t figure that one out. :neutral_face:

Don’t forget the shiny new sports gear and I phone 12’s

Narc:

dozy:

Wake up ffs

youtube.com/watch?v=h2t6egAOLzg