UK going back to imperial measurements

Are we on our way back to pounds & ounces & gallons? Is the buffoon in Downing street serious or is he just trying to oneupmanship that other clown Farage :question: I think it would be too much of a shock for some UK motorists seeing £6.40/gallon at petrol stations :open_mouth: huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ … 16054793b3

lancpudn:
Are we on our way back to pounds & ounces & gallons? Is the buffoon in Downing street serious or is he just trying to oneupmanship that other clown Farage :question: I think it would be too much of a shock for some UK motorists seeing £6.40/gallon at petrol stations :open_mouth: huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ … 16054793b3

The ‘takedown’ by the expert is nothing of the sort.

1856 OIML? What single system of measurement did it commit to?

BoJo has simply indicated a ‘tolerance’ of imperial weights and measures; a tolerance that no matter how much the expert denies it, did not exist under the EU

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

I suggest you take a look at the 1994 EU Units of Measurement regulations.

The 1856 Treaty didn’t create law, the 94 Regulation did

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

10 gallons v 45.5 litres,
1 pint v 0.56 litres.
1 thousandth of an inch v 0.0254 mm,
1 mile v 1.6 kms,
A bridge sign showing 14 feet v 4.26 metres.
Do you want the pilot of the plane to measure where his wheels are above the ground on landing to the foot or to the metre.
Which makes most sense.

We still buy Crude Oil in 40 gallon barrels with US Dollars.

We go to the Pub for a Pint, not 568ml,

In Holland and Germany ISO Shipping Containers are measured in Feet.

Ships use 20’ equivalent units, TEU.

Slimming World & Weightwatchers use Imperial weights.

Jewellers use Troy Ounces,

Chemists still use Grains

We pay Peppercorn Rent.

I have a Bushel under the lamp somewhere. :laughing:

Saw Diesel at £1.56.9 at the MSA couple of weeks ago, for all i know it might have gorn up since then, that works out around £7.12 a gallon.

To put this in perspective, i remember clearly going with my dad to fill up his Hillman Minx around 1963ish, he was nipping down to Watton at Stone filling stn to top up with 4*, which was 4s 4d in the old money and about to go up to 4s 8d in the budget…22p to 24p per gallon, or if you prefer, 5p ish per litre.

Nothing wrong with working in both, bridge heights in particular are much easier for most of us in feet and inches, the difference between 15’3 and 15’9 we all know is 6" or rather more than most of us might manage on a cold morning :wink:

Juddian:
To put this in perspective, i remember clearly going with my dad to fill up his Hillman Minx around 1963ish, he was nipping down to Watton at Stone filling stn to top up with 4*, which was 4s 4d in the old money and about to go up to 4s 8d in the budget…22p to 24p per gallon, or if you prefer, 5p ish per litre.

I’m sure I can remember filling my Triumph 2.5 PI with 5 star at 77 p per gallon I was only earning apprentice type money and that was long after the 1973 oil price rise debacle.Blue collar wage levels are a joke now by comparison in real terms.
Going back to gallons would obviously be inconvenient to the employer classes in showing that up when comparing like with like.Just like what a 10 shilling note was worth and would buy v 50p now.

Juddian:
Saw Diesel at £1.56.9 at the MSA couple of weeks ago, for all i know it might have gorn up since then, that works out around £7.12 a gallon.

A Hillman Minx… such luxury!! :smiley:

I can remember my Dad topping up our Ford Anglia at 3s 10d, and remembering my age at the time… I’m thinking it would be around 1960 - 1962.

The petrol pump looked like a clock face, so I asked my Dad why the fingers were going so fast because I hadn’t seen a clock like that before. :blush:

I can also remember when petrol passed the £1 per gallon mark, which I think was in 1980 when I had a Mini 1,000.

When I was a young chap i recall putting 4 gallons of petrol in a car and getting change.
I also think that it should now be compulsory for every petrol station to display their fuel prices in £s per gallon so that people could realise just how much the stuff costs. It’s £6.20/gallon for diesel at my local supermarket.
I’ll concede that most young uns won’t know or care.They do drive round at max revs in 1st.and 2nd.gear.

Long thought it should be compulsory to display the breakdown in fuel costs, how much of the cost is fuel and how much comprises fuel tax and vat.

Decimalisation, like metric measures, was a perfect opportunity for a mass rip off and they’ve been at it ever since.

70 pence to fill my FSIE from reserve including two squirts of two stroke oil.

I saw a video of a sheep being sold at auction for 30k+ guineas. I have no idea what that means… :unamused:

A guinea was £1 and a shilling.You young uns know nowt.

Wasn’t a Groat worth four pennies? On the flip side of gallons I will be able to say it costs three Groats/kWh or a shilling/kWh to charge me EV on the overnight chap rate lol. :grimacing:

LazyDriver:
I saw a video of a sheep being sold at auction for 30k+ guineas. I have no idea what that means… :unamused:

Don’t forget the luck money !!!
Tyneside

the maoster:

Ahhh, the old 49cc ring-ding-ding-ding…

Happy memories of misspent youth :grimacing:

(Started my hooligan days on my mums old Vespa Ciao :blush: :sunglasses: , wrecked several of those until I saw the light (or rather, heard a Honda SS50,) and went Honda CD50 (×2), Honda CB 550 (yes, a real one), a quick dalliance with a Kawa Z200 (took me from Wales to Germany and back via the Netherlands… :open_mouth: ), back to Honda CX500 Silverwing (maggot with a proper fairing) and then a GL1200 Aspencade.

the maoster:

Those were the days, I had the DX version with the Yellow tank with a Strobe stripe and front disc brake !

IIRC, Yamaha had a four-speed gearbox, Honda 50 a five-speed gearbox and the Suzuki 50 a six-speed gearbox.

Carryfast:

Juddian:

I’m sure I can remember filling my Triumph 2.5 PI with 5 star at 77 p per gallon I was only earning apprentice type money and that was long after the 1973 oil price rise debacle.Blue collar wage levels are a joke now by comparison in real terms.
Going back to gallons would obviously be inconvenient to the employer classes in showing that up when comparing like with like.Just like what a 10 shilling note was worth and would buy v 50p now.

Started in a small garage/petrol station in 1978, 3* was 72p and 4* 73p a gallon.

Sent from my R19 using Tapatalk

Munchkin:

Carryfast:
I’m sure I can remember filling my Triumph 2.5 PI with 5 star at 77 p per gallon

Started in a small garage/petrol station in 1978, 3* was 72p and 4* 73p a gallon.

That would be around the right time.
Also seem to remember that National ( BP ) and Esso ( Extra ) were the last two suppliers of 5 star petrol that I could find.Ironically my more powerful BMW 3.0 Si which replaced the Triumph was fine running on 4 star.Whereas the Triumph pinked like a diesel on the stuff unless I retarded the timing to silly levels defeating the object of the 2.5 motor.
Now they are charging 4 star money and tax for 95 octane muck which even even the Zafira doesn’t like let alone the Jag which needs 98 octane minimum.It’s almost £7 gallon for E5 super unleaded which will be fun when filling two 10 gallon tanks but it’s still worth it and cheaper than a wrecked engine.

Carryfast:
10 gallons v 45.5 litres,
1 pint v 0.56 litres.
1 thousandth of an inch v 0.0254 mm,
1 mile v 1.6 kms,
A bridge sign showing 14 feet v 4.26 metres.
Do you want the pilot of the plane to measure where his wheels are above the ground on landing to the foot or to the metre.
Which makes most sense.

Centimeter will suffice.