UK average wage vs drivers wages

Terry T:
Mostly Royal Mail work on afternoons .

That sounds good, I thought it would be all night work. What time do you finish? Is that common in RM i.e. is it mostly night work?

AdamST205:

JeffA:
Agency class 2 rate 2007 - £7 an hour

Agency class 2 rate 2023 - £11.50 an hour

Pretty pathetic

Using bank of England’s inflation calculator £7 in 2007 is worth £10.95 in 2023 so Class 2 drivers are better off financially from an inflation perspective than they were in 2007.

No they arnt cos prices have gone thru the roof

Ok not hgv,but heavy plant op,£260 shift midweek,based on ten or less hours,£350 nights, weekend,put in the shade by gf who’s agency nurse,saw her tax account hmrc£85k+hotels,travel and food

JeffA:

AdamST205:

JeffA:

Pretty pathetic

Using bank of England’s inflation calculator £7 in 2007 is worth £10.95 in 2023 so Class 2 drivers are better off financially from an inflation perspective than they were in 2007.

Where do you get £7 per hour in 2007 for class 2 when I was only getting that for class 1 nights including London weighting around 8 years previously.

lynchy:
Ok not hgv,but heavy plant op,£260 shift midweek,based on ten or less hours,£350 nights, weekend,put in the shade by gf who’s agency nurse,saw her tax account hmrc£85k+hotels,travel and food

Has she been out on strike with the rest of them?

Carryfast:

JeffA:

AdamST205:

JeffA:

Pretty pathetic

Where do you get £7 per hour in 2007 for class 2 when I was only getting that for class 1 nights including London weighting around 8 years previously.

I was on £6.80 I think it was in 2003 when I did my C licence for my old boss who had his own haulage business. It was definitely over £6 an hour but I think it was closer to £7 than £6 but it is some time ago hence I can’t remember the exact figure. And he paid me the same rate whether I drove the van, 7.5 or 18 tonners at the time.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

JeffA:

AdamST205:

JeffA:

Pretty pathetic

Check the official bank of England inflation calculator. I am not lying. The problem is that it is done using the CPI which is basically the cost of normal items and doesn’t include the cost of house prices etc. Everyone is buggered because of house prices etc. Not just lorry drivers but the actual core inflation which the BOE bases its interest rates off shows that £7 in 2007 is worth £10.95 today. That is fact.

toonsy:

Stephenjp:

simcor:
Union have gone in asking for an 18% pay rise but can’t see us getting anywhere near 18% tbh and when I say near I imagine it will be much toward the lower end maybe 5% if we are lucky.

We’ve just been given a 4.79% pay rise, I thought it was an April fools joke, as it starts on 1st April!!!

Our stable has been outlined now - mentioning a “significant payrise” so I asked what figure they’d proposed and it was like Simcor up at 18% ish which won’t happen.

Union was rumoured to have gone in big at our place, settled on 8% across the board to include shift and OT premiums. 1 year deal with no strings attached and no attacking of T&C’s. Also good news for the lower paid depots, any that were on less than £16 an hour have had an uplift to that on their basic rate.
Makes me want to transfer back up to Scotland, can get the same house for 100k less, would ■■■■■ our mortgage into pieces :laughing:

stu675:

Terry T:
Mostly Royal Mail work on afternoons .

That sounds good, I thought it would be all night work. What time do you finish? Is that common in RM i.e. is it mostly night work?

Just to clarify, I’m an agency driver. My start and finish times can vary quite a lot. I mostly ask for and get early afternoon starts with late evening finishes. 1300-2100 or 1400-Midnight etc. Average shift length just over 9 hours according to my sheet.

Some days I might start at 8am though. I have given them quite a wide window of availability so I can keep myself as busy as possible. The missus works a mixture of morning and afternoons so we still get to see each other no matter what I’m working.

Looking at the agency sign in sheet I can see they have drivers starting right across the 24 hours of the day but if you go in and demand starts between 5am and 7am you’re probably not gonna get as much work as someone like me who is more flexible.

As an agency driver we get to cover the day driver’s holidays and vacant duties etc. If you went to RM full time the chances of getting Monday to Friday day work would be quite low I would imagine.

Thanks. [emoji3]

toonsy:

Stephenjp:

simcor:
Union have gone in asking for an 18% pay rise but can’t see us getting anywhere near 18% tbh and when I say near I imagine it will be much toward the lower end maybe 5% if we are lucky.

We’ve just been given a 4.79% pay rise, I thought it was an April fools joke, as it starts on 1st April!!!

Our stable has been outlined now - mentioning a “significant payrise” so I asked what figure they’d proposed and it was like Simcor up at 18% ish which won’t happen.

18% would be nice, like you, I can’t see that happening at all, a third of that at most I reckon.

selby newcomer:

toonsy:

Stephenjp:

simcor:

18% would be nice, like you, I can’t see that happening at all, a third of that at most I reckon.

I reckon 7% minimum because the argument will be that’s what stores got so I reckon that’s the benchmark.

They’re also going for a return of the bonus, more meal allowance and uplift in matched pension contributions from 7.5% to 15%.

Of course by the same token I wanted a lamborghini as a car but ended up with a mondeo so yeah, will see :laughing:

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
I reckon 7% minimum because the argument will be that’s what stores got so I reckon that’s the benchmark.

They’re also going for a return of the bonus, more meal allowance and uplift in matched pension contributions from 7.5% to 15%.

Of course by the same token I wanted a lamborghini as a car but ended up with a mondeo so yeah, will see :laughing:
[/quote]
Yeah, I agree on the 7%, forgot that’s what stores got.

I’d be all over that pension rise if it happened, even if it got to 10% wouldn’t be bad.

I’ll let you know what our proposal is when I hear about it.