UK average wage vs drivers wages

As we know there has been a bit of an uplift in drivers pay over the last couple years,We have all seen the adverts “get an HGV licence earn 50K a year”- just want to see how true these claims are.This week most of you will have got week 52 pay slips- and soon last years P60- on that it will show TAXABLE pay so not including night out allowances that are not taxed the UK average wage is around 33K so just interested to see how far above/below the UK average most folks are, again just to reiterate the amount you are looking for on your week 52 payslip or P60 is the taxable pay element, if you vote above its anonymous so for your privacy I suggest you just vote above rather than post any details

To be fair, quite a bit of my ‘normal’ wage isn’t taxable. My company makes good use of meal allowances etc.

Surely, less than 30k is not full-time?

Difficult to say from my Week 52 payslip as I only work half the year but my basic salary is £32,500 and I’m contracted to do 5 x 10 hours a day Monday to Friday for that. Anything over 10 hours is paid at £16.08 an hour and weekend work at £17.20 an hour.

There hasn’t been much overtime recently (I don’t really want it anyway) and I’ve only done two Saturday mornings since I started back in September but if I worked all year round I guess I’d be on about £34,000 p.a. which is low for the West Midlands but then they don’t expect too much for it.

£40,761.80 taxable pay.

Total Gross £42,497.16.

That was with a retention bonus mind, of 2k in July 2022 and Jan 2023 of 1k each month the other 1k in Jan 2022 so before this tax year. Was a total of 3k retention bonus paid in 3 installments. Pension is a salary sacrifice scheme so not taxed.

That’s for a 50 hour a week contract with some overtime here and there but most weeks I do less than my 50 hours. Get paid for 10 hours regardless. Oh and I choose to work nights as I prefer nights. Start 5pm and usually done by 3am or earlier.

Union have gone in asking for an 18% pay rise but can’t see us getting anywhere near 18% tbh and when I say near I imagine it will be much toward the lower end maybe 5% if we are lucky.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

There’s no 50-60k option unless I’m blind?

My total gross was £54,770 but taxable after pension via salary sacrifice was £51,800. Contracted 46.25hrs, normally do 50 on average, sometimes a bit more, other times bit less.

It be more interesting to see average hourly rate

I earn more than a lot of my close friends/relatives.

But I don’t see them getting up at 3am, working weekends and averaging 48hours a week excluding break times

The poll will need to be taken with a bag of salt though as anyone can vote or say anything they wish, and we all know how many drivers like telling tall stories.

It does rather rely on people being truthful.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

My basic is just over £35,000 but s/a, o/t and allowances take it to over £47,000. I don’t work nights. I also pick my duty based on seniority (For now) I expect a lot of drivers will surpass my wage as the years go by, as the greedy people have taken over the company I work for, but the new breed have no fight.
I would happily take this company into administration than see our wages and T and C’s reduced to a gig economy employer.

Missing the 50-60 misleads it a bit.

I hit 57k but I havent had a life!

Sploom:

how sad is that post… :frowning:

I just checked my Month 12 payslip and my total gross earnings for the 2022-2023 tax year were £18,224.85. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think hourly rate would be a better calculation x 40 to compare the average wage for 40 hours.
Instead of someone working 80 hours a week and comparing it to average guy on 33k on 37.5 hours a week.

Johny5alive:
I think hourly rate would be a better calculation x 40 to compare the average wage for 40 hours.
Instead of someone working 80 hours a week and comparing it to average guy on 33k on 37.5 hours a week.

Or someone that gets paid by shift/availability. And eventhough not sticking their noses out of the house, actually working 0 hours (due to the whole week being cancelled) still gets paid.

Mon-Fri day work (general haulage non ADR) in the North West between £12 and £15 per hour. Most popular wage seems to be around £13 per hour in the Warrington area. The NW isn’t a great area for pay overall.

m.a.n rules:

Sploom:

how sad is that post… :frowning:

I dont care what you think it is.I got things paid off nicely,that needed to be paid

Absolutely. Feeding the five thousand don’t come cheap you know.

Can you stop talking about religion.You are becomung tedious