UK average wage vs drivers wages

Certainly Mr Pot

Yours Mr Kettle.

18k.for a 19 hour contract.
Although I usually do 1 extra shift per month,which lifts it to approx 22k

simcor:
Union have gone in asking for an 18% pay rise but can’t see us getting anywhere near 18% tbh and when I say near I imagine it will be much toward the lower end maybe 5% if we are lucky.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

We’ve just been given a 4.79% pay rise, I thought it was an April fools joke, as it starts on 1st April!!!

38k. 40 hours a week, 45 at the maximum.

We still have the zero hour contracts out there though. And the £12 dressed up as £15.

Dressed up as £13 an hour

But it’s actually £11

And the winner at a whopping £10.75 an hour

Let’s not pretend the garden is rosy, the decent earning jobs for a reasonable amount of work are few and far between.

simcor:
The poll will need to be taken with a bag of salt though as anyone can vote or say anything they wish, and we all know how many drivers like telling tall stories.

It does rather rely on people being truthful.

Around £10 per hour.All I need to do for it is drive new or near new Jaguars/Land Rovers from A to B get a signature/photograph and sit on trains or buses or taxis.
As opposed to around £7 per hour for class 1 nights and expected to handball trailer loads for it.
Around less than half that on rubbish agency work expected to work as a building site labourer as much as driving anything.To be fair it was a while ago but the point still stands.Its all about the hourly rate and the amount/type of work expected in an hour.

Stephenjp:

simcor:
Union have gone in asking for an 18% pay rise but can’t see us getting anywhere near 18% tbh and when I say near I imagine it will be much toward the lower end maybe 5% if we are lucky.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

We’ve just been given a 4.79% pay rise, I thought it was an April fools joke, as it starts on 1st April!!!

Our stable has been outlined now - mentioning a “significant payrise” so I asked what figure they’d proposed and it was like Simcor up at 18% ish which won’t happen.

I recently took a pay cut from £44k to £31k, and it worked like this:

Previous job I was paid for 4 nights out but never did one in all the time I was there, so it was a kind of retainer. It was job and knock, but I averaged around 50 hours. Always done by mid afternoon Friday. Sadly got paid off due to a downturn in work. (Or so they said.)

Went back to work for my old boss after he rang me, and now I am paid for 50 hours, but average around 41 hours minimum, and I am done by lunchtime on a Friday, without fail.

All in all if you were to take off the night out retainer at my old job, (4 x £25 pw, or £4900 pa with holidays deducted) I would, based on hours, be no worse off, but you can’t tell that to my utilities, rent, etc etc…

My current rate, I think is poor, and while the job is a piece of cake, (Same run/deliveries every week.) I think I am worth more, but at the moment the jobs market is a bit flat, so we will wait and see.

Met and had a chat with a nice chap last week at one drop, he was disillusioned with the job, he’d been on supermarket which was a decent enough job but stuck on lates/nights, currently on general which simply doesn’t pay enough (and i could not go back to general hire and reward work ever), i offered some suggestions where to go in his locale, hopefully he’ll think about things he seemed to like what i was doing.

With wages too often people are comparing apples and oranges, whilst its likely those in better areas can knock up £40k+ wage alone there’s a world of difference between earning that in 40ish hours or having to graft half as many hours again or more, then there’s the thorny question of weekend/bank hol working as well as unsocial hours.

I’m fortunate in that whilst i could earn more gross elsewhere it’s almost impossible to find the equivalent average hourly rate due to the short hours (usually but things can go pear shaped) and short working week involved, that becomes increasingly important as you get older, those with young children will disagree on the last point but it all depends on who wins the bread in your particular home situation and whatever one desires in a utopian dream in the real world some bugger’s got to bring home enough bacon for everyone.

To me at least the only way to compare jobs/wages when considering jumping ship is to divide the top line by the number of hours involved to come up with a mean average hourly rate, factor in weekend/bank hol/unsocial hours into the comparison, also much depends on any satisfaction and contentment the job itself might bring to you.

stu675:
Surely, less than 30k is not full-time?

I’d suggest that depends on location, I know drivers on just about 30k, but that’s worth more like 40k elsewhere, basically because we have more affordable housing.

Certainly true for someone who got their mortgage 10 or 20 years ago.
I won’t tell you what a nice 3 bed semi in a decent area with good sized gardens, plus garage and driveway costs around here, but Lucy and Rikki who are also Teessiders will, I think, confirm that it will make the southerners weep :laughing:

I work opposite shifts to my missus and will do for about another year until my son starts primary school.

I work 3.5 days a week (Half a year off). I do work every other weekend however. Average 42 hours a week. Paye for one of the big companies. We get paid a daily rate with OT after a certain amount. Extra’s tax free meal allowance, retention bonus paid yearly, self tip bonus and fuel efficiency. It is a lot of hoop jumping but ended up with 33k for the year or £15 an hour.

This is my first job 1 year in East Midlands. I was on more money in my old industry but stress was just not worth it. HGV wages are increasing more than most industries too.

The drivers retiring are still outstripping new starters so wage growth still looks good for the present. The current lack of work is mainly due to our country going up creek without a paddle really. Government recorded average trucker wage at £12.55 in 2021 so a 15% increase in 18 months is quite strong.

Last 12 month made £46500 odd on 42hr week on a 554 shift pattern.

But been made redundant come middle of may after 7yrs… back to job hunting again nr Lincoln

Job1 Tesco FT Agency nightshift Sun/Thur just the one 6card week worked:
£44521gross average.
Not always getting 5shift weeks though.
2nd PT job to make shifts up to 5shifts/week since Oct nightshift trunking:
£4837gross paid for 10hr shift even if usually do 8/9 hrs max.
Total £49358.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Agency class 2 rate 2007 - £7 an hour

Agency class 2 rate 2023 - £11.50 an hour

Pretty pathetic

I’m on class 2 work now at dnata taking catering to aircraft
Pays £15.30 an hour rosted 40 hours a week .
Plus a little.bit of shift pay which equates to about extra £10 a week.
Overtime is paid at time and half although only really get that from easter.to october then not always guranteed.
Easy work set hours better than when was tramping never knowing what time was going start and finish only having weekends off
Money wise now on bit less but on 4 in 2 off 28 days holiday.
But if so some overtime in summer probably earning about the same

JeffA:
Agency class 2 rate 2007 - £7 an hour

Agency class 2 rate 2023 - £11.50 an hour

Pretty pathetic

Using bank of England’s inflation calculator £7 in 2007 is worth £10.95 in 2023 so Class 2 drivers are better off financially from an inflation perspective than they were in 2007.

edd1974:

Heathrow?

Earned just over £41k. Mostly Royal Mail work on afternoons but I did work a few other places. This year I’ll be sticking to RM as it really is money for old rope. Not too many places paying £19.90 per hour for parcel chauffeuring and there’s no stress from the office. No cameras pointing at me. And we’re due a 7% pay rise if they can just stop striking every other week.

My property rental income puts me near £50k so if I earn much more I’d be in the upper tax bracket so I’m happy as I am(yes, I know I could funnel it into my pension and get 25% tax relief on top). All about the work life balance these days anyway.

stu675:

edd1974:

Heathrow?

No Manchester