UK and European truckstops and cafes

Why is there such a major difference in quality,value for money,hygeine,between the continent and the UK.
Euro is a set drivers menu,5 to 6 courses,with an apperitif for small change,Calvados or Cognac for a night cap,clean and crispy white linen table clothes,staff in proper old fashioned uniforms.
Friendly staff,that do not rush you.
The cutlery is laid out in a formal manner,different size plates,glasses and so on,like you having a feast or a banquet.
Most places i have stopped at give a “freebie” of some sort,or a card that gets stamped for buy 9 meals get the 10th free.
The UK,treated like something on the bottom of the shoe,surly and moody staff,how dare you ask for cheese on the beans on toast,kiddies food for grown men and women,to do a 15 hour shift on.Lump it attitude if you do not like it.
If i won the lotttery i would buy up all the dirty cafes and transform them to Rouitiers style menus,but i think the leopards will not change their spots,and take a dislike to tripe stew,pigs trotters,veal and horse meat,cabbage soup,roasted cod,giant steaks.

Mus admit Toby I do miss that side of euro driving. After a days drive nice clean showers and a decent meal and bottole of wine. Over there its a much more laid back attitude where as over here everything is 24/7 on the go (I blame the supermarkets for that) you are treated with a bit of respect and called monsieur by the staff and they respect the job you do where as over here you are seen as a pain in the a$$ on the road and a bit of dirt.

Same as you I would love to have the money to set up a French style stop free parking good food and a good rate. Give the MSA something to think about

Very true gents,i did 30+yrs trucking sadly only the last 10 over the water.As has been quoted treated like a human being etc.my only regret before i retired was why did i not go over the water 20yrs sooner.
regards dave.

can anyone give me some advice on finding these routiers restaurants :bulb:

il be in france mon and tues night so wouldnt mind giving one of these a go.

jessicas dad:

if you have a tom tom go to the tom tom website and download the routiers poi file it is brill

Or on your laptop log on to Les Routiers Europeans , insert the Department number you are in and it will bring up the listed eating places in that Department

jessicas dad:

What area you going to be in?? A lot of the MSA over there sell books with them all listed and also some sat navs have them listed depening what nav you use

this is a video of the buffet selection at la sentinelle just off junction 20 of the a2 near valenciennes good choice of main course as well steak au poivre is nice includes wine as well
youtu.be/V9w4KQqjHUw

I’m off to Nantes tomorrow and my tomtom has a cracked copy of truck on it so I can’t connect to the Internet, I’m loading … Well say loading proberly getting reload instructions from Ziegler in nantes so il ask them.

translate.googleusercontent.com/ … fa8PjABCwQ

jessicas dad:
I’m off to Nantes tomorrow

Go here: relais-routiers.com/htm/recherche.htm and enter the département number of the area you are in for a list of routiers

jessicas dad:
I’m off to Nantes tomorrow and my tomtom has a cracked copy of truck on it so I can’t connect to the Internet, I’m loading … Well say loading proberly getting reload instructions from Ziegler in nantes so il ask them.

I use a cracked version of tomtom truck and you can stillconnect to tomtom home for map corrections, adding poi’s, adding voices…no problem :slight_smile:

There is a Centre Routier in Nantes on the ZI , or there is also Lukes and The Flying Sausage on the old road South , if you follow signs for La Rochelle and take the road marked Airport immediately before the ticket machines they are down there on the left.

jessicas dad:

I used to load there in TDW thought was in Rennes though cant remember to much beer since then :confused: :confused: :confused: but do remember only bout 5 mins from motorway and good helpful guys in the office

kerbut:
There is a Centre Routier in Nantes on the ZI , or there is also Lukes and The Flying Sausage on the old road South , if you follow signs for La Rochelle and take the road marked Airport immediately before the ticket machines they are down there on the left.

there is a cracking routier in Ancenis too close to the tank cleaning.

Basically Alex, when it gets to between 6 and 7 pm, get off the motorway, keep your eyes open for a lot of lorries, the busier the better. The older French drivers don’t miss their evening meal, although the young ones tend to use fast food because they don’t know any better.

Formats differ slightly. In general you go to the bar, have a couple of snifters, Kir or beer, Pastis if you are brave :stuck_out_tongue: When the others start to make their way to the tables, ask for repas and pay for that and your drinks so far. With or without coffee.

Smaller routiers may say apres, which means pay when you have finished.

You will be expected to join the table with others if it is a proper routier. They will help you and it is one of the best ways to learn the lingo or a few snippets at least

Wheel Nut:
Basically Alex, when it gets to between 6 and 7 pm, get off the motorway, keep your eyes open for a lot of lorries, the busier the better. The older French drivers don’t miss their evening meal, although the young ones tend to use fast food because they don’t know any better.

Formats differ slightly. In general you go to the bar, have a couple of snifters, Kir or beer, Pastis if you are brave :stuck_out_tongue: When the others start to make their way to the tables, ask for repas and pay for that and your drinks so far. With or without coffee.

You will be expected to join the table with others if it is a proper routier. They will help you and it is one of the best ways to learn the lingo or a few snippets at least

^This^ :smiley:

The seating arrangment is very close,sometimes you have to take in turns to put food in your mouth as the driver next to you is touching the elbows or arms.

Wheel Nut:

kerbut:

there is a cracking routier in Ancenis too close to the tank cleaning.

Snap :smiley:

Does anyone remember using the Routier just north of Abbervile before the motorway was built? It was on the left (when heading south) with a large parking area opposite. I know it was still doing good business for some time after the motorway opened as I used to use the ‘national’ there so I could ‘re-fuel’ the gut with top quality skoff & the service was excelent;)

Ross.

If you mean Chez Jo, yes still there and always busy.