U-Turn on M6

war1974:
Bless - he had only been in the UK for a coule of weeks and got confused :open_mouth:

ÂŁ85 is a joke.

He probably pleaded guilty and the paperwork was minimal, hence lack of costs. I don’t know what costs means though, probably just court expenses…

war1974:
Bless - he had only been in the UK for a couple of MONTHS and got confused :open_mouth:

ÂŁ85 is a joke.

FTFY

cant see the same happenin to numpty car drivers though, everyday we encounter fools and they do it cos they can then leave devastation in their rear view mirror

wonder what the chap in the truck said to him as he went past.

a foreign friend or not lost or whatever bloody hell what a fool for doin that, carnage was avoided by luck alone, pure luck no one died i say

The way I read it, he was working in the UK for a UK haulier.
Is there any substance in the rumours that insurers are now refusing cover for any driver who does not hold a UK HGV driving licence?

Driver-Once-More:
Motorway patrol manager Ch Insp Jed White said: "I hope that it serves as a deterrent to anyone who thinks they can put other motorists in jeopardy by ignoring motorway regulations

Who’s he trying to kid? I fail to believe that anybody gets up in the morning and thinks “you know what? I think I’ll drive the wrong way up the motorway today. Oh hang on, didn’t that foreign fella get fined for that? Maybe I’ll do something else instead”

I don’t reckon dear Leonid ignored the regulations, I reckon he was totally unaware of them! A bit like the home grown British numpties who run the h/s on managed motorways even though the matrix isn’t lit up. Well it was ok yesterday wasn’t it?

Agree with others, the guy has made a mistake that’s easily done when driving “on the wrong side” then put it right as early and safely as he could. Penalty is harsh compared to what criminals get. (a little slap on the wrist). Unfortunately for him big brother was watching by camera.

hkloss1:
Fully agree with Winseer and Dieseldog.

Anybody can make a mistake, the driver acted in a very safe manner after realizing he’d made one, stopped on the hard shoulder, let every other vehicle pass him safely, waited for a clear space in motorway traffic and entered the traffic in the right direction.
That’s the reason I’m not keen on working on the continent, anybody can make a silly mistake, part of life, mistake s happen, what counts is how you recover from one.

+1
its not the flipflops fault he is working here,its the goverments fault for allowing him to be over here.ive bolloxed it up bigtime on the continent on numerous occasions,fortunately ive got out of things without any great mishap,or penalty.( 1000 ciggies still gets you away with most offences so long as your cool with plod).I once drove about 5 miles down a dual carriageway on the wrong side of the road in pee soup fog tillm it dawned on me,fortunately noboday was coming the right was as middle of the night,but you only need a momentary lapse of concentration to mess things up…I don’t see how the guy was causing any great mishap,other than he was prob kakking his trollies at coming off the wrong turn,and not wanting to get lost. you could get away with that driving easier abroad as its vast,with less cameras.he didn’t put anyone at risk re entering the motorway…but no doubt once again the holier than though brigade who do nothing wrong would see differently.id love to see some of the nuggets that post that stuff on here to have a days shift in the European city of choice,and watch the carnage that would undoubtebly ensue.( even Dublin)… :unamused:

Driveroneuk:
Agree with others, the guy has made a mistake that’s easily done when driving “on the wrong side” then put it right as early and safely as he could. Penalty is harsh compared to what criminals get. (a little slap on the wrist). Unfortunately for him big brother was watching by camera.

^^This 100%. He made a huge ■■■■ up, that much is true but he got out of it quite well in the end without issue. No amount of heavy handed punishments will act as a deterrent or make a difference because mistakes like this aren’t on purpose, they’re a split second lack of attention. Growing up I heard many tales of British drivers doing things on the wrong side of the road in Europe and it was all treated as one big joke and part of the learning curve. Unfortunately many people today are nothing more than vindictive grasses who can’t stand to see people get away with mistakes that they themselves think they wouldn’t get away with. As the above post says, the difference between today and when British drivers made similar mistakes decades ago is that we now live in a surveillance society and that wasn’t the case back then. In this case I think the punishment far outweighs the so called crime.

The only thing I can find fault with in the article I read was that he’d been working in the UK for only a few weeks. It looks like a foreign truck to me rather than a UK one so if that was the case and he’d actually been here for X amount of weeks, would he not be running in contradiction to cabotage regulations that still do apply? Perhaps the article was written wrongly by people who know nothing about trucks or transport and the entire time wasn’t spent wholly within the UK…I mean, journalists have been known to make the occasional error when reporting about anything at all to do with transport.

I do wonder if this poor bloke has just been unfortunate to be on the receiving end of a bit of propaganda that pretends the government are doing something about immigrants by throwing the book at the nearest immigrant they can find doing something that would get the average typewriter monkey, in the Daily Mail comments sections, in top finger-wagging mode.

the maoster:

Driver-Once-More:
Motorway patrol manager Ch Insp Jed White said: "I hope that it serves as a deterrent to anyone who thinks they can put other motorists in jeopardy by ignoring motorway regulations

Who’s he trying to kid? I fail to believe that anybody gets up in the morning and thinks “you know what? I think I’ll drive the wrong way up the motorway today. Oh hang on, didn’t that foreign fella get fined for that? Maybe I’ll do something else instead”

I don’t reckon dear Leonid ignored the regulations, I reckon he was totally unaware of them! A bit like the home grown British numpties who run the h/s on managed motorways even though the matrix isn’t lit up. Well it was ok yesterday wasn’t it?

Whenever I hear a copper on the news talking about some court case I always expect to hear ‘at the end of the day we’re going to take each match as it comes’ somewhere.

One of our drivers actually saw him doing this I remember him telling me as we work in norton canes right next to the toll. A lot of foreigners get really confused by the triple roundabouts in Cannock to which the toll joins onto

the maoster:

Driver-Once-More:

Hilariously true, however from their point of view it’s better to use these things to remind people rather than just to ignore.

I know there’s a lot of perfect drivers on here that never make mistakes :wink: but it’s so easy to ■■■■ up when you’re driving in a foreign country.
I was driving in France with my caravan in the summer holidays and ended up on the wrong side of the road a couple of times, main roads and roundabouts it’s fine but it’s when you’re on empty country roads then turning off into another quiet road it’s easy to find yourself on the left. It’s easy to lose your bearings when you’re on auto pilot

A couple of nights ago I was coming off the A120 onto the roundabout for the M11, as I was approaching I noticed a Morrisons truck with its hazards flashing on the slip road for the M11 south, nothing unusual there, until I was actually passing the slip road and noticed he was actually reversing back up and back onto the roundabout :open_mouth:

News articles have said that he had left the motorway at junction T5, but had turned around at the tollbooths after his card was declined.
So rather than simply taking a wrong turning somewhere, he was trying to avoid paying the toll. And if he was planning to avoid the next tollbooths he would have had to make another u-turn to leave the motorway at an entry sliproad.

Our euro trucker made a mistake simple fact. He made a mistake and in life a man or woman make many, it is how we deal with these mistakes how we recover from these mistakes and that we do not make the same mistakes again. The Driver recovered from it well, at first it looks dodgy and I suppose it is! But, BUT! he got out of the mess he made for himself with no harm done to anyone. I would have liked to seen him screwing it onto the hard shoulder then rejoin once he picked up some more speed but he did what he did. The penalty is harsh and for his sake I hope he picks himself up and moves on. Now how much stupidity do you see by our own general public when some car driver’s do mad things on the roads eh?? It is not always obvious when driving in another country on what the layout is, especially when you drive these big, modern day horse and carts you can make errors!

Obviously it was wrong but he got out of it pretty well, the only thing i would have done different is i would have 'u’d it straight onto the hard shoulder so i could accelerate up to speed before moving into lane 1!

Glen A9:
News articles have said that he had left the motorway at junction T5, but had turned around at the tollbooths after his card was declined.
So rather than simply taking a wrong turning somewhere, he was trying to avoid paying the toll. And if he was planning to avoid the next tollbooths he would have had to make another u-turn to leave the motorway at an entry sliproad.

This is the what happened.

He didn’t make a simple mistake. He deliberately turned around at the tolls and drove the wrong way down the slip to rejoin the motorway with the intention of trying to leave by an entry slip to avoid paying.

He should be taken off the roads

What is unbelievable is that some of you are trying to make excuses for him.

When you start to be happy that the idiots amongst your brethren have been removed people will have more respect for you.