Tyre Prices

I paid £160 for a tyre on my car this week, Our depot took in a delivery of truck tyres, about 20 of them in total. Judging by the price of my car tyre, I made a comment to the fitter that there will be some moneys worth there on that delivery. I was surprised when he said they are not too bad at around £100 each tyre. Now the size of them I was expecting arount £750 each as a minimum. So can anyone tell me, are we driving around on crap tyres or are we being ripped off on our cars?

I recently paid £395 for 4 summer tyres for the car (Michelin pilot sport 4) with £50 cash back.

Stop verpaying for brands. 99% of them are made in the 3rd world, only difference is the stamp they put on. Like with clothes/shoes etc. Pay £200 for the latest Nike/Adidas/insert any famous overpriced brand here that cost <£10 to make

I recently needed a tyre on my old 405 Peugeot (one of the last seven Coventry built 405’s left on the road in Britain) in order to pass it’s MOT
My go to guy for tyres in Widnes came up trumps again, a part worn £15 supplied and fitted
Happy motoring guys!

ETS:
Stop verpaying for brands. 99% of them are made in the 3rd world, only difference is the stamp they put on. Like with clothes/shoes etc. Pay £200 for the latest Nike/Adidas/insert any famous overpriced brand here that cost <£10 to make

Is this really the case? Not doubting you but could save me a fortune on next tyre.

Tyre for daughters fiesta vignale was £158 if I remember right , just put 2 front ones on mrs fiesta st £280 , 1 front tyre for my focus was £70 , daughters / mrs was a lot I guess , but how do you put a price on safety

Unless you drive like Max Verstappen, or do 20000 miles a year, you’re unlikely to need anything more than a decent budget tyre. My tyres are about £75 fitted, 14’‘’ van tyres.

Unfortunatly the tyres on my A8 Quattro are roughly starting from 220 a corner :open_mouth: glad it had a brand new set on just before I bought it

Yorkshire Tramper:

ETS:

Is this really the case? Not doubting you but could save me a fortune on next tyre.

the nodding donkey:
Unless you drive like Max Verstappen, or do 20000 miles a year, you’re unlikely to need anything more than a decent budget tyre. My tyres are about £75 fitted, 14’‘’ van tyres.

^ There’s your answer. Personally I’ll take a budget tyre with more tread over a premium one with 3mm, implying that people buyng expensive tyres will be less more reluctant to replace them unless they’re about to legally fail

Mine are part worn tyres and 30quid a pop that incl fitting

( only thing is in wet weather, they tend to aquaplane a hell of a lot so i avoid the third lane on a motorway for this very reason

Yorkshire Tramper:
I was surprised when he said they are not too bad at around £100 each tyre. Now the size of them I was expecting arount £750 each as a minimum. So can anyone tell me, are we driving around on crap tyres or are we being ripped off on our cars?

It’s highly likely they were re-treads. There’s a reason you see lots of lorry tyre treads on the side of the motorway.

Tyres are so cheap these days, it makes retreads uneconomical. The time lost and damage done, when they let go cause more grief than they’re worth.

On cars, you only have four small areas, each about the size of your hand, with which to maintain contact with terra firma, buying on price alone is fraught with danger.

TruckDriverBen:

( only thing is in wet weather, they tend to aquaplane a hell of a lot so i avoid the third lane on a motorway for this very reason

Buy cheap crap and risk putting your life at risk, is your life worth that much?

the nodding donkey:
Unless you drive like Max Verstappen, or do 20000 miles a year, you’re unlikely to need anything more than a decent budget tyre. My tyres are about £75 Qfitted, 14’‘’ van tyres.

If you are driving an old banger I’d agree with you.
As I drive a 2019 2ltr VW Gti Polo the original 215’s Bridgestone tyres that came with the car would loose grip easy and start tramping. But the 215’s are not commonly used on anything more than a couple of cars (Gti/A1) so I put 225’s PS4’s on instead which is a common modification owners of this model do, which are around £40 per tyre cheaper. Handling has improved and it doesn’t tramp when you put your foot down.
Btw Black circles which is owned by Michelin regularly do cashback offers on 2 or more tyres

Maybe you shouldn’t drive a BM? ( assuming from the price of the tyre it can only be that)
I remember going to get some tyres for my friend last year. R19 runflats 900£ for the set [emoji19][emoji2357][emoji2357] the girl had to ask her dad for money cuz it’s a lease and can’t afford tyres [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the end of the day its all down to personal preference,as to what standard of safety you feel comfortable with. My cars in the far gone past when things went wrong it was repair or replace on the cheap,as more often than not they where not kept very long anyways. When I progressed onto decent motors,(2-3 year old or new) it would now not occur to me to go cheap.

peirre:

TruckDriverBen:

Buy cheap crap and risk putting your life at risk, is your life worth that much?

the nodding donkey:
Unless you drive like Max Verstappen, or do 20000 miles a year, you’re unlikely to need anything more than a decent budget tyre. My tyres are about £75 Qfitted, 14’‘’ van tyres.

If you are driving an old banger I’d agree with you.
As I drive a 2019 2ltr VW Gti Polo the original 215’s Bridgestone tyres that came with the car would loose grip easy and start tramping. But the 215’s are not commonly used on anything more than a couple of cars (Gti/A1) so I put 225’s PS4’s on instead which is a common modification owners of this model do, which are around £40 per tyre cheaper. Handling has improved and it doesn’t tramp when you put your foot down.
Btw Black circles which is owned by Michelin regularly do cashback offers on 2 or more tyres

ATS Euromaster are owned by Michelin too and also do the money off 2 or 4 tyres, and at the moment, you can get a free dash cam (worth £80 ish) for 4 Michelin tyres too.

Tyres are an integral part of the vehicles safety and should be bought with that in mind.What value do you place on your[and your family’s life].When I moved up here I bought a set of Cooper studded winter tyres for a 'special’price for my L200 4x4 having little knowledge of what was required for winters in a car.My mates laughed at me and I said ‘whats the problem,they’re brand new studded’,'You will see’they sad.The first winter I ended up 3 times in the ditch.The i said ‘enough’ and bought a set of Hakkapellita and my life changed.There IS a difference in quality,and only you can put the value on life and safety.

Anything related to two wheels (helmet, leathers, gloves, tyres etc) the best money can buy. MY car not so much; I do less than 50 miles a week, all on country roads, never carry passengers and like to giggle like a child when it starts to slide!

My g/f works in the motor trade and ends up with a brand new car every month or so until it’s sold, and that’s the car we travel any distance in so it’s whatever the factory fit.

i guess its horses for courses and where you go. I had an avensis few years back went and bought a part worn tyre that was a pirelli i think with 6/7mm of tread left. Friend that was with me spent the whole way home barrating me about buying part worn tyres and how dangerouse they were. when we got home we looked up the price of the tyre new turned out i could of bought 5 of the part worn ones for the cost of 1 new and still had enough left over for a trip to the pub.

One of the many things you should check at before you buy a car is how much such items as tyres are going to cost, mate of mine has a serious Beemer with tyres @ £300 a corner, sod that i put a set of good quality that was on offer on one of our cars for just over £200.

Regarding brands, i buy decent quality whatever is on offer at the time, preferably snowflake stamped all season tyres with A or B wet grip rating, don’t mind Japan Korea or Taiwan made but nothing made in China, tend to avoid the 4 so called top makes because can’t say i’ve noticed anything special about them, apart from the price and they seem to start perishing sooner than some others.
First sign of a underperformance in the wet and they’re replaced immediately.

Also avoid anything on less than 55 aspect ratio as ride quality is usually compromised, low profiles (unless a common size such as 215 or 225/45 x 17) cost silly money and don’t provide any protection for the wheels, our 2 main cars are on 55 and 65 aspect and there isn’t a single kerb or pot hole strike mark on any wheel, despite the combined ages of the cars being 29 years.

Moving on to lorry tyres, recently had a set of Bridgestone R Drive 002 fitted, best wet gripping lorry tyres i’ve ever had apart from a set of Kenprest remoulds circa early 80’s, noisy in the dry when accelerating though probably due to the surprisingly heavy tread pattern, be interesting to see how they wear.