Two weekends in a row?

is it legal to work two weekends in a row providing I have enough driving time left on my 90 hour fortnight and take a 45 hour rest period at the end of the third week? If so do I also have to compensate for the reduced rest periods on top of the 45 weekly rest period? Cheers?

In any two consecutive weeks, a driver shall take at least two regular weekly rest periods, or one regular weekly rest period and one reduced weekly rest period of at least 24 hours.
However, the reduction shall be compensated by an equivalent period of rest taken en bloc before the end of the third week following the week in question.

In any two consecutive weeks you must have a minimum of one full weekly rest of not less than 45 hours and one reduced weekly rest period of at least 24 hours. You don’t give enough information to say whether what you are proposing is legal or not. You could work Monday to Saturday, take a reduced rest, then do Monday to Saturday again and then take a full weekly rest. You cannot work Monday to Saturday, take a reduced rest, then do Monday to Saturday again, take another reduced rest, work Monday to Saturday and then take a full rest.

Any reduction of weekly rest must be compensated for by adding the number of hours you reduced by, in one bloc, to any other rest period of at least 9 hours. This must be done before the end of the third week following the reduction. So, reduce in week 1, compensate before the end of week 4.

Yeah what I was proposing was work monday to saturday and then take a reduced rest. Monday to saturday and another reduced rest and then take a full 45 plus any compensation at enf of the monday to friday (week 3). Never mind at least i’ve not actually been doing it like that.

xfmatt:
Yeah what I was proposing was work monday to saturday and then take a reduced rest. Monday to saturday and another reduced rest and then take a full 45 plus any compensation at enf of the monday to friday (week 3). Never mind at least i’ve not actually been doing it like that.

No, that would not be legal.

So if I did work two weekends in a row i.e monday to saturday with a reduced rest and then monday to saturday with a full weekly rest I wouldn’t be able to work on the monday! That will do for me, best break it to the boss!

xfmatt:
So if I did work two weekends in a row i.e monday to saturday with a reduced rest and then monday to saturday with a full weekly rest I wouldn’t be able to work on the monday! That will do for me, best break it to the boss!

Correct. Depends how badly he needs you to work Saturday as to what his reaction will be.

Well yeah he is pretty desperate for saturdays but I don’t want to work every one anyway. Away all week so gotta have a bit of family time! I mean I wouldn’t mind working 2 on 1 off as the overtime comes in handy but I ain’t gonna break the law to do it. Never have, never will!

You can work monday as long as it’s 45hrs after you finish on Saturday, so if you finish at 12pm saturday, you can start work again 9am monday and you’ve had 45hrs off.

Yeah I know thanks but it’s usually full day on a saturday till 5 or 6 ish and usually have 6am start latest on a monday morning. I’ll just have to do every other.

There are 2 consecutive BH weekends coming up so for those such as yourself who never work sunday midnight there is the possibility of doing back to back weekly rests (reduced + full or full + full) which could be used to your advantage if you wish

I suppose it depends what’s meant, exactly, by the word “work”

We’re about to get into a battle because the guy doing the wages refused to pay a guy his 6th n/out money and his 7th shift hours on the grounds that “You can’t work those hours, so we can’t/won’t pay them”

:unamused: :unamused:

One thing to be remembered, and is rarely said plainly enough, is that it’s only the hours that you’re short that has to be ‘re-paid’ - It’s NOT the difference between a full and a short weekly - ie 45-24 = 21 So if you have 43 hours off, you only owe 2 hours. It’s obvious enough to those that understand, but I do frequently come across people that don’t.

dambuster:
I suppose it depends what’s meant, exactly, by the word “work”

We’re about to get into a battle because the guy doing the wages refused to pay a guy his 6th n/out money and his 7th shift hours on the grounds that “You can’t work those hours, so we can’t/won’t pay them”

:unamused: :unamused:

Sounds like your wages guy is a total

dambuster:
One thing to be remembered, and is rarely said plainly enough, is that it’s only the hours that you’re short that has to be ‘re-paid’ - It’s NOT the difference between a full and a short weekly - ie 45-24 = 21 So if you have 43 hours off, you only owe 2 hours. It’s obvious enough to those that understand, but I do frequently come across people that don’t.

That’s a good point, just this week one of the guys I work with was talking about having to take an extra 21 hours after he had taken a reduced rest of 44 hours the weekend the clocks went forward and he forgot about allowing for the hour. :unamused:

If you did work 2 consecutive weekends reduced rest would this show up as an infringement when your tacho is downloaded?

xfmatt:

I did this shift pattern for 4 weeks before christmas as we were very busy and agency drivers were like hens teeth,they were that desparate they paid me 10 hrs for sitting at home on the monday’s :sunglasses:

Banquo:
If you did work 2 consecutive weekends reduced rest would this show up as an infringement when your tacho is downloaded?

Yes, it will show as an infringement if you only have reduced rests in two consecutive weeks.

Hahaha, we have a guy at our place who always has to finish early every Friday because his “fortnightly limit is up” Should the nightmare scenario of having to run in on a Saturday morning crop up. He claims he has to have 56 hours off the following weekend. Classic stuff!

After reading TNUK for six months our lot don’t know how lucky they are.

Al

Coffeeholic:

Banquo:

Yes, it will show as an infringement if you only have reduced rests in two consecutive weeks.

Would I be correct in saying that should have the word ‘counted’ in it?

I was asked if the following was legal a few weeks ago and my reply was yes
Holiday from sat to following sun (9days)
6 days shifts from mon to sat incl
sun off - reduced weekly rest
6 day shifts from mon to sat incl
5 days shifts from mon to fri incl
sat & sun off - full weekly rest

ROG:

Coffeeholic:

Banquo:

Would I be correct in saying that should have the word ‘counted’ in it?

No, the word counted does not need to be there.

ROG:
I was asked if the following was legal a few weeks ago and my reply was yes
Holiday from sat to following sun (9days)
6 days shifts from mon to sat incl
6 day shifts from mon to sat incl
5 days shifts from mon to fri incl
sat & sun off - full weekly rest

I don’t see the relevance of this to the response I gave as this example does not have two consecutive weeks with only reduced rest periods. Week 1 has a full rest period, week 2 has a reduced and week 3 a full. There is an extra reduced between week 1 and 2 to comply with the requirement of no more than 144 hours between weekly rest periods.

The example showed two weekends in a row having reduced weekly rests which was the question by the OP -

Banquo:

So the answer could be that it would not show as an infringement

If the question had been -
If you did work 2 consecutive weekends and both counted as reduced rest would this show up as an infringement
then the answer would be yes

I know I’m not as good on this as your good self but I am sure that is correct unless you can point out any errors …