Two weekends in a row?

ROG:
The example showed two weekends in a row having reduced weekly rests which was the question by the OP -

Banquo:
If you did work 2 consecutive weekends reduced rest would this show up as an infringement when your tacho is downloaded?

So the answer could be that it would not show as an infringement

It could be, if other rest periods were involved. However I did not just give a yes/no answer. I qualified it by saying -

Yes, it will show as an infringement if you only have reduced rests in two consecutive weeks.

ROG:
If the question had been -
If you did work 2 consecutive weekends and both counted as reduced rest would this show up as an infringement
then the answer would be yes

The question asked is pretty much the same as yours, just with less words and asked how most drivers would ask it. It mentioned two reduced rests so it is pretty safe to assume he meant they are both reduced rests, he didn’t mention any other rest periods but just in case I covered that with the bit in red above.

ROG:
I know I’m not as good on this as your good self but I am sure that is correct unless you can point out any errors …

Yeah, you. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Everyone knows by now that you nurse a semi every time you get to point out the back to back weekly rest period thing and you introduce it at every possible opportunity, you did it today with reference to the upcoming Bank Holiday weekends, and you love to do it as it is something not everyone is aware of.

My answer to the question was it would be an infringement if the two weeks only had reduced rest periods, are you saying that answer was incorrect?

You then posted an example in which a two week period did not only have two reduced rest periods, it had two reduced and one full which more than meets the minimum requirements. You are trying to get one over on me because I said ‘in two consecutive weeks’ rather than counted in them. But, as a weekly rest period only needs one minute to fall in a week to be in it then your example with your back-to back rest periods has three rest periods in two consecutive weeks rather than two. The question posed by Banquo only mentioned two rest periods but I still added a caveat to my answer which meant it would only be the correct answer if they were indeed the only two rest periods in the two week period.

We had a multi page thread about ‘in’ and ‘counted in’ on a previous occasion so lets not have another. If a weekly rest period has one minute in a fixed week it can be counted for that week and is therefore in that week so when saying a rest period is in a week you know it is being counted for that week and the word counted is therefore surplus to requirements.

You mentioned the word IN and that was not my point as a driver could have a few weekly rests that were IN a week

I would have thought determining which weekly rest IN a week was actually COUNTED for that week was the deciding factor - wouldn’t it?

According to the vosa rules on driving hours page 19 i can work 2 x reduced weekly rests in one week (say monday and friday as long as either week each side i have a 45…question do i still have to compensate for these reduced weekly rests? in that week?

Appreciated any answers

ROG:
You mentioned the word IN and that was not my point as a driver could have a few weekly rests that were IN a week

I would have thought determining which weekly rest IN a week was actually COUNTED for that week was the deciding factor - wouldn’t it?

No, not as far as answering this question goes. He mentioned two rest periods in the two weeks, one in each week so no determining to be done, and they fell below the minimum requirements for rest in any two consecutive weeks.

Banquo:
According to the vosa rules on driving hours page 19 i can work 2 x reduced weekly rests in one week (say monday and friday as long as either week each side i have a 45…question do i still have to compensate for these reduced weekly rests? in that week?

Appreciated any answers

Only one of them. The regulations only require a minimum of one rest period per week so any rest periods over and above that minimum do not need compensating for. If you have two reduced rests in one week and need to compensate for one you can choose which one. If you want to be able to work and earn more then choose the one that requires the least compensation. If you want the rest choose the one that requires the most, it’s up to you.

Many thanks for your information Coffeeholic on weekly rest. The problem with the rules and regulations from vosa is that they much too ambiguous and difficult to interpret for the average driver.
Drivers who have spent their professional life on the road, in their 50s maybe, and looking towards the end of their career are just not interested, have the motivation/ aptitude to take it all in. If you are a trucker and have driven all your working life you will surely understand this.
Thanks again for your help.

Banquo:
Many thanks for your information Coffeeholic on weekly rest. The problem with the rules and regulations from vosa is that they much too ambiguous and difficult to interpret for the average driver.
Drivers who have spent their professional life on the road, in their 50s maybe, and looking towards the end of their career are just not interested,

That describes me exactly, well apart from the not interested bit. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Banquo:
Thanks again for your help.

you’re welcome, happy to help.