Twitter

I see that Mickyblue posted a ‘live travel report’ the other day and this is the sort of thing we need when running around all day/night, handy if you have access to a lappy etc and planned on heading that way but who’s with me and would be willing to sign up and post these delays on Twitter via mobile? Notifications are almost immediate ( if notifications are changed to the minimum time) which could mean a 10 minute detour or a few hours delays. No need to tell us the in’s and out’s of a ducks dooda, just little snippets of info that could save us (on occasions) a fair bit of time as ‘real time’ is quicker that ‘HA time’…go on…u know you want to :laughing: I started the ball rolling last wk but i was posting to myself as i have no followers :cry: :cry:

how would you answer or view your phone if your driving thou :unamused:

I’m @MrAlexJB
Will post any huge delays I come across. Anyway I have a cool app that can control the phone via voice so no need to touch it!

Count me in too, just started to follow you on twitter. I’m not a stalker tho :slight_smile:

I’m @shortfatbaldman by the way.

I’m on Twitter as @dessy1969 so follow me alright!!! :laughing:

@nw2c

Why not set up a hashtag?
you can then setup twitter to only show tweets with that hashtag, something like #TNUKTRAFFIC

It could replace Truckpol since they had their funding cut, there was a curtainsider loaded with biscuits near Foston last night, he woke up to find 5 pallets missing.

I’m obviously doing summat wrong as i cant find any of u who have put your usernames up apart from SFBB…and i only found him cuz he was good enough to follow me!! If we manage to get this up n running, it would give us eyes/ears to all sorts of shenanigans…if somebody knows more about twitter than me regarding notifcactions then great…let us in on the secret!! If people of a certain strain get to here that we are watching all day, every day, truck related thefts/incidents could drop in numbers

I think you may be on to something here chaps. A trucknet hashtag is a great idea. I use TweetDeck on my iPhone and you can set up columns for different hashtags. So just leave app open with the Trucknet column open and it update automatically, it’d be no different to glancing at a satnav. A truck crime one would be good to. There are web apps that take the postcode you’d put in a crime report tweet and show it on a map so you could easily see crime hotspots.

I think this would be something really good for Trucknet to get involved in. I’d love to set up something like that but I just don’t have the time these days.

As you may have gathered I’m a massive twitter fan!

For any of you that don’t know what hashtags are here is a brief description.

The # symbol, called a hashtag, is used to mark keywords or topics in a Tweet. It was created organically by Twitter users as a way to categorize messages.
Hashtags: helping you find interesting Tweets

• People use the hashtag symbol # before relevant keywords in their Tweet to categorize those Tweets to show more easily in Twitter Search.
  • Clicking on a hashtagged word in any message shows you all other Tweets in that category.
  • Hashtags can occur anywhere in the Tweet.
  • Hashtagged words that become very popular are often Trending Topics.

Example:. ‘#TNUK Stationary traffic M6 south jc10-8’

I’ll jump in here and get something going.

I suggest we use something generic and easily memorable, also generic so we don’t conflict with any sites interests.

How about #roadtweet

There are many police forces that use twitter these days, along with other government agencies. I’ll send them all out an email and have a chat over the next few days to try and get them on board with the idea.

Also I’ll set up a website later that can collate all the tweets and perhaps place them on a map.

For those that don’t know how to look, simply go to the Twitter search: search.twitter.com/ and put in #roadtweet that will show all of the ones that have been listed. Or use something like TweetDeck as Luke has suggested.

That should be enough to make it a useful tool?

Alex

its no good searching for user names on twitter you need the real name or just get the url of your account for example… mine is
twitter.com/dazaster_ then just click follow me…

I must be old fashioned as I just rely on the CB ! (I don’t even have my own mobile phone).

dessy:
I’m on Twitter as @dessy1969 so follow me alright!!! :laughing:

yours is
twitter.com/@dessy1969

I’m now following the one’s on here, I can’t quite work out the hashtag thing but I agree with Alex, it’s such a powerful and well used tool it’s got to be worth a try.

switchlogic:
I think this would be something really good for Trucknet to get involved in. I’d love to set up something like that but I just don’t have the time these days.

As you may have gathered I’m a massive twitter fan!

One thing i seem to have read or remember Luke, didn’t you get a huge phone bill when you were twittering a lot?

Twitter is almost entirely a text service and as the messages themselves are shorter than a text message it costs far less to keep twitter refreshed than it does just looking at a single facebook page or so.

For those that want a quick link to the search on their pc’s this works:

search.twitter.com/search?q=%23roadtweet

Alex

Right so if anyone wants to post a traffic/accident/manned checkpoint etc warning they just include, ‘#roadtweet’, into the message. Then anyone searching for, ‘#roadtweet’, will find said message?

I’m @mdh85