Twin axle European tractor units

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

Wheel Nut:

MysonVinnie:
So with this in mind and the weight of a third axle is their much benefit in having a tri-axle unit??

It is on the cards for gross weights to go up in France, but whether that is for our benefit or theirs I am not sure.

It depends on your circumstances and destinations. I doubt Spain or Germany are going to change anytime soon, but if you are running to Holland they will laugh at you asking for half a load!

In the current climate you will probably be better off with a 1500 litre fuel tank than a third axle if you plan to run European

I believe that certain loads leaving France for Belgium and Holland can now gross at 44 tonne according to VDB, never seen it in writing though

You can use the A16 “Corridor” at 44 tonne as it is written here:

I.1.2.b Les corridors
Au moins un corridor spécial existe à notre connaissance, le corridor dit de Ghyvelde, sur l’autoroute
A16. Depuis juillet 2001, il est autorisé d’y circuler à 44 tonnes (5 essieux minimum requis) en transit
entre la frontière belge et les quatre terminaux transmanche que sont Dunkerque, Calais port et tunnel
ainsi que Boulogne.

Which means according to Google Translate :laughing: :

I.1.2.b Corridors
At least there is a special corridor to our knowledge, the corridor told Ghyvelde on Highway
A16. Since July 2001, he was allowed to move to 44 tonnes (5 axles minimum) in transit
between the Belgian border and the four-channel devices such as Dunkirk, Calais port and tunnel
and Boulogne.

To me it means:

You can use the A16 Corridor between the Belgian Border and the 4 main ports. Dunkirk. Calais Port. Eurotunnel and Boulogne Port. You can also use this route on a Sunday.

Okey-Didley-Dokely:
Most EU countries run 40 tonne on 5 axles, except belgium (44t) and the Netherlands (50t).
It is only the uk that runs 44 tonne on 6 axles. don’t ask me why. I don’t understand the EU full stop.

The Scandinavians stuck two fingers up to Brussels and run, I believe, at up to 60 tonnes, and longer too.

I thought it was to do with a tax issues between having a 4x2 and 6x2, or am I thinking of something different? :blush:

Sam Millar:
I thought it was to do with a tax issues between having a 4x2 and 6x2, or am I thinking of something different? :blush:

Although road tax is still a small part of it Sam, the UK started to use 6 axles at 38000kg for the massive reductions. At one point a 5 axle artic cost £3100 while the 6 axle only cost about £1300. £682 quid for 6 months anyway.

But the main reason the French still use 5 axles is the weight limits imposed in the rest of europe

I think it’s just about versilitilty. If a truck does the same run week in week out via Luxemboug then of course a 4x2 is in order but many, like the one I work for, do a variety of loads some to Europe and some in UK. The days of cheap fuel are long gone, even Lux isn’t that cheap now, so I don’t think there is much advantage to massive fuel tanks. I may get to Lux half a dozen times a year so for me 6 wheels is much more useful than big tanks. 6x2’s for a UK operator just make more sense. I certainly wouldn’t swap back to a 4x2.

Sam Millar:

the road tax in the UK for a 6x2 was always cheaper than that for a 4x2 but i don’t know if thats the case now, in spain road tax is payable to the local authority depending on “fiscal power output” not on how many axles you have

welshboyinspain:

Sam Millar:

the road tax in the UK for a 6x2 was always cheaper than that for a 4x2 but i don’t know if thats the case now, in spain road tax is payable to the local authority depending on “fiscal power output” not on how many axles you have

Road tax is so difficult to put a figure on now, it is linked to emissions, RPC and plated weights, but a 6 axle 40 tonner will almost certainly be cheaper than a 5 axle 40 tonner

Wheel Nut:

welshboyinspain:

Sam Millar:

Road tax is so difficult to put a figure on now, it is linked to emissions, RPC and plated weights, but a 6 axle 40 tonner will almost certainly be cheaper than a 5 axle 40 tonner

you want to try working out the system here then :unamused: :unamused: there’s an equation for how much you have to pay depending on the output of your vehicle but its not a standard rate across all local councils so a ferrari owner in marbella pays less than the owner of a large diesel engined family car in benalmadena because the councils apply different rates, as for trucks i have no wish to find out how much they cost :open_mouth: i leave that up to the man who pays the bills and gets all the headaches :smiley:

Wheel Nut:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

Wheel Nut:

MysonVinnie:
So with this in mind and the weight of a third axle is their much benefit in having a tri-axle unit??

It is on the cards for gross weights to go up in France, but whether that is for our benefit or theirs I am not sure.

It depends on your circumstances and destinations. I doubt Spain or Germany are going to change anytime soon, but if you are running to Holland they will laugh at you asking for half a load!

In the current climate you will probably be better off with a 1500 litre fuel tank than a third axle if you plan to run European

I believe that certain loads leaving France for Belgium and Holland can now gross at 44 tonne according to VDB, never seen it in writing though

I.1.2.b Les corridors
Au moins un corridor spécial existe à notre connaissance, le corridor dit de Ghyvelde, sur l’autoroute
A16. Depuis juillet 2001, il est autorisé d’y circuler à 44 tonnes (5 essieux minimum requis) en transit
entre la frontière belge et les quatre terminaux transmanche que sont Dunkerque, Calais port et tunnel
ainsi que Boulogne.

I.1.2.b Corridors
At least there is a special corridor to our knowledge, the corridor told Ghyvelde on Highway
A16. Since July 2001, he was allowed to move to 44 tonnes (5 axles minimum) in transit
between the Belgian border and the four-channel devices such as Dunkirk, Calais port and tunnel
and Boulogne.

To me it means:

You can use the A16 Corridor between the Belgian Border and the 4 main ports. Dunkirk. Calais Port. Eurotunnel and Boulogne Port. You can also use this route on a Sunday.

:bulb: You can also go in Luxembourg with 44 ton

Lovlyperson:

Wheel Nut:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

Wheel Nut:

MysonVinnie:

I.1.2.b Les corridors
ainsi que Boulogne.

I.1.2.b Corridors
and Boulogne.

To me it means:

:bulb: You can also go in Luxembourg with 44 ton

Yes but only from Belgium. Not Germany or France

France is apparently adopting 44 tonnes on six axles from 2012, however in parts of the south west hauliers in the timber trade (shifting freshly felled logs) can run at up to 57 tonnes under a special dispensation. You can generally tell who’s running at this weight as they have the obligatory pair of orange beacons illuminated whilst on the highway (that and the fact that there’s a huge stack of logs generally slung on a drawbar outfit fronted by an FH16 or V8 Scanny).

To be honest the French don’t pay much attention to vehicle weights, hence you’ll nearly always see 6x4 tippers, not 8x4, as they load the same amount on a three axle truck! :open_mouth:

~ Craig

Craig 111:
France is apparently adopting 44 tonnes on six axles from 2012, however in parts of the south west hauliers in the timber trade (shifting freshly felled logs) can run at up to 57 tonnes under a special dispensation. You can generally tell who’s running at this weight as they have the obligatory pair of orange beacons illuminated whilst on the highway (that and the fact that there’s a huge stack of logs generally slung on a drawbar outfit fronted by an FH16 or V8 Scanny).

To be honest the French don’t pay much attention to vehicle weights, hence you’ll nearly always see 6x4 tippers, not 8x4, as they load the same amount on a three axle truck! :open_mouth:

~ Craig

France now permits commecial vehicles to operate at 44-tonnes for multimodal operations and when carrying agricultural products.

The change allows 44-tonne gross vehicle weight operation for combined transport, access to sea and river ports and transport of certain agricultural and agri-food products

A new order amends the article R. 312-4 of the Traffic Code relating to the limit on total permitted combined weight for heavy vehicles, which increases from 40 to 44 tonnes, in order to improve the competitiveness of the transport sector and reduce the number of heavy goods vehicles used for the transport of bulky cargoes, as well as CO2 emissions.

I am almost sure the weight is going up to 45 tonne

As i mentioned 45t on 6 axles, this is a very poor translation of an article.

"The spread of 44 t to transport agricultural five-axle is a measure of anticipation, notes Loic Charbonnier, assistant general manager of Infrastructure, Transport and the Sea (DGITM). For all other sectors, including road transport, the spread will be held at the time of entry into force of the PL écoredevance in 2012. "

What is the meaning of this calendar? "The authorities want to avoid a "yoyo effect"on the prices of transport, says Loïc Charbonnier. Moreover, the idea is not to have a negative effect on the modal balance, in the spirit of Grenelle. The generalization of 44 t should not impact the modal shift. "This explains the six axles. "We leave it open to manufacturers to install, provides Loïc Charbonnier. One thing is certain: the weight of the sixth axle is offset which means we will have the same amount of cargo in a 44 t five-axle in a 45 t six-axle. "
To avoid the risk of distortion of competition, carriers have the same transport conditions. The exclusion orders to move into by the General Councils may they not do to grow? “The government will wish to keep a clear speech against departments, says the official. The TRM should be more productive under conditions that do not damage the roads.”

I think :blush:

Talk about a can of worms . . . only in France could things be so complicated :unamused:

You’re right matey, there has been talk of 45 tonnes on six axles in the immediate future, but the long term plan is:

Six axles obligatory at 44t for new vehicles from Jan 1st 2014

Six axles for all 44 tonners from 2019

The confusing bit is that hauliers involved in agro-alimentaire transport (primarily bulk foodstuffs) will be able to run at 44t on five axles, but only for a limited period according to the date of registration. In the meantime a French firm involved in this type of work already possessing a six axle outfit can operate at 45t, as rightly mentioned above, with the extra tonne added to offset the additional axle.

There ya go, clear as Pas de Calais mud - it won’t affect our firm, we rarely gross much over 30 tonnes which is just nice with 460 horses on tap :sunglasses:

~ Craig

Hi all, can anyone tell me why most European tractor units, and units that do European work are twin axle units. if it’s a weight issue why with our wonderful EU is there not a blanket weight regulation??

there is a blanket weight restriction of 40t so 5 axle combinations are the most common.
there’s no need to carry that extra axle that the british lorries have so ensuring a lower tare weight and more room for big fuel tanks plus less expense on tyres

Its a weight issue,VOSA told me that they catch the Continentals with an overloaded drive axle frequently.

Most EU countries run 40 tonne on 5 axles, except belgium (44t) and the Netherlands (50t).
It is only the uk that runs 44 tonne on 6 axles. don’t ask me why. I don’t understand the EU full stop.

alamcculloch:
Its a weight issue,VOSA told me that they catch the Continentals with an overloaded drive axle frequently.

yes, overloaded on UK regs though. i was stopped at the VOSA weighbridge at stafford and was 200kg over on my drive axle but would have been ok in spain as the axle limit is 1ton more, not sure if thats for all of the EU though

welshboyinspain:

alamcculloch:

yes, overloaded on UK regs though. i was stopped at the VOSA weighbridge at stafford and was 200kg over on my drive axle but would have been ok in spain as the axle limit is 1ton more, not sure if thats for all of the EU though

13 tonne drive axles in France but here we are told it is a dangerously overloaded :laughing: