Twatnav or mapbook?

Clito is in Georgia, USA. M1 won’t help. Not sure a CB will either.

I might go to Curry’s in the week and ask if they’ve got any ■■■■■.

we use a cb to contact the beet loader.

Is it Euro Maus 4?

You need a ■■■■ for that not a mapbook

Dipper_Dave:

James the cat:

wirksworth rod:

Dipper_Dave:
All proper drivers use a mapbook as well as a [zb].
I have a nice [zb] at home I lick at least once a month, I quite like to finger it as well. Sometimes navigating the [zb] can be tricky but I usually locate the ■■■■■■■■ and work down from there.

Some swear by their [zb] but I like to use them as and when needed, I find them very usefull for the last bit to help me ■■■ to my final destination.

Not sure if Deisel Dave will let me get away with this post but ive tried to keep it clean, bit like my wifes [zb].

:laughing: can never find that licorice thingy so just lic every thing :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Clean :laughing: . Apart from mentioning ■■■■■■■■. Don’t tell me, that’s a type of plant growing in your garden. A patch of wild clitori.

It certainley is, located nicely between my daffodills and ■■■■■■■■■■■ flowers. Keeping them nice and moist is the key.
The wife will help me locate it in the dark

Use a head torch for that [emoji6]

Sat nav, paper books are the same just the electronic ones are more upto date, only other different is one is on paper the other is on screen.
All those who say use a paper map are either tight to buy one or thick. Using a satnav is same as using maps, it involves common sense ,simples

gezt:
Sat nav, paper books are the same just the electronic ones are more upto date, only other different is one is on paper the other is on screen.
All those who say use a paper map are either tight to buy one or thick. Using a satnav is same as using maps, it involves common sense ,simples

I am neither tight nor thick mate, but I would rather pay a tenner for a decent map and use it in conjunction with a car sat nav, and common sense, than have my arse ripped out financially by the ridiculous bloody price of a top range sat nav providing me with information most of which I will never need,…now that is being thick… :bulb:

No offence intended, but a one time buy for 10£ is lost within 6 months, a satnav can be updated for free every 3 months. One is on paper one is on a screen. And its much more versatile than an outdated paper map. I han hundreds of paper maps in old days and they filled 2 cupboards, now I have a sat nav which takes less space than one map book. No contest.

gezt:
No offence intended, but a one time buy for 10£ is lost within 6 months, a satnav can be updated for free every 3 months. One is on paper one is on a screen. And its much more versatile than an outdated paper map. I han hundreds of paper maps in old days and they filled 2 cupboards, now I have a sat nav which takes less space than one map book. No contest.

Can’t agree mate, 6 months? :open_mouth: …my low bridge map is from around 96. (have you and me had this conversation before, it seems familiar) I don’t need total sat nav reliance, I use a mix of experience, knowledge, common sense, a bog standard 6yr old car sat nav, and the aforementioned map. Total about 100ish quid since 96.

Only been doing job 45 years,what do I know. It just keeping it up with the times is all. We started with maps and asking for directions, now we have more upto date kits ,same as trucks we drive. Go with the future whilst remembering the old days. Don’t decry one method cos its new or old.

robroy:

gezt:

Can’t agree mate, 6 months? :open_mouth: …my low bridge map is from around 96. (have you and me had this conversation before, it seems familiar) I don’t need total sat nav reliance, I use a mix of experience, knowledge, common sense, a bog standard 6yr old car sat nav, and the aforementioned map. Total about 100ish quid since 96.

We prob have had this conversation before,its good to debate.

gezt:
Only been doing job 45 years,what do I know. It just keeping it up with the times is all. We started with maps and asking for directions, now we have more upto date kits ,same as trucks we drive. Go with the future whilst remembering the old days. Don’t decry one method cos its new or old.

If you’ve done it for 45 yrs you have 9yrs on me.
I would have thought with all that experience you, like me, would only need and require minimal guidance.
I wasn’t decrying anything, it’s just that me personally, I think top range sat navs are too expensive, over engineered, and not really necessary, but each to his own and all that.

robroy:

gezt:

Maps only last 6 months you sure■■? :open_mouth: :laughing: I’ve got auto updating Philips Maps then, as mine take a lot longer to be useless and I really find a lot of the old ‘B’ roads and even more minor roads or farms haven’t up’d sticks and moved towns yet! :bulb: :bulb:

Have sats navs car app on phone (waze) and dedicated lorry stand alone used together.

Bridge maps too, still very useful only know of 2 height restrictions so far in the main areas I frequent that have physically decreased in recent years.

Don’t knock the maps though mate, if the satellites continue aging as they are and the yanks have no intention of replacing them. You’re gonna have to learn how to like maps again!

The Europeans aint got a clue what to launch or how to pay for it.
The Chinese don’t like sharing information unless you like paying through the nose it…money only wins with them boys.
The Americas don’t want to invest in new or maintaining/replacing existing gear.
The Russian’s system isn’t that great or reliable but the only other replacement that can fill holes and we all rely on sometimes but that’s aging too. And they ain’t gonna upgrade it either in foreseeable future.

Think me and Rob spoke on this subject before or have I developed Alzhiemers. Sat Nav ain’t the be and end all…
“Don’t put all your eggs into one basket” comes to mind

Use all sources of information and you’ll get there in one piece. No one part is greater than the whole either.

C

Google Maps on your phone.

Bang up to date. Traffic in real-time. Satellite imagery if you need it. Street View if you need it.

/thread

Contraflow:
Google Maps on your phone.

Bang up to date. Traffic in real-time. Satellite imagery if you need it. Street View if you need it.

/thread

All well and good if you have a 3G signal or can download your route in advance while you have a data connection, I prefer to use a [zb] myself.

Phillips truck map, best thing.
Your satnavs will be likely to lead you up lanes & places you may get stuck , & will be no good without a signal.

Dipper_Dave:

James the cat:

wirksworth rod:

Dipper_Dave:
All proper drivers use a mapbook as well as a [zb].
I have a nice [zb] at home I lick at least once a month, I quite like to finger it as well. Sometimes navigating the [zb] can be tricky but I usually locate the ■■■■■■■■ and work down from there.

Some swear by their [zb] but I like to use them as and when needed, I find them very usefull for the last bit to help me ■■■ to my final destination.

Not sure if Deisel Dave will let me get away with this post but ive tried to keep it clean, bit like my wifes [zb].

:laughing: can never find that licorice thingy so just lic every thing :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Clean :laughing: . Apart from mentioning ■■■■■■■■. Don’t tell me, that’s a type of plant growing in your garden. A patch of wild clitori.

It certainley is, located nicely between my daffodills and ■■■■■■■■■■■ flowers. Keeping them nice and moist is the key.
The wife will help me locate it in the dark, if ive been really good she tickles it herself which is great.

Others say it with Roses, Dipper Dave says it with fanny flowers.

Who says romance is dead?

People keep mentioning Google Maps.

Well my mobile is a steam powered brick, so no bloody use on the road, secondly does the Google Map have bridge heights?

Juddian:

Well my mobile is a steam powered brick, so no bloody use on the road, secondly does the Google Map have bridge heights?

Get a new phone Juddian, preferably one that doesn’t have a coal bunker.

Google Street View. Never mind bridge heights, you can count how many bricks the bridge is made out of if you want to.

Contraflow:

Juddian:

Get a new phone Juddian, preferably one that doesn’t have a coal bunker.

Google Street View. Never mind bridge heights, you can count how many bricks the bridge is made out of if you want to.

The problem being i use my phone as a phone and its brill, the number of people i speak to daily who use the latest smart phones which can’t keep the signal is laughable.
Plus each head of steam lasts up to 2 weeks if i use the phone daily, on standby it will last a month, my Mrs’ poxy iphone is always on charge.

Nice thought mate thanks, but i’ll stick to a push button A phone (or push B to get your 4d back)…the youngsters won’t have a bloody clue :laughing: …and my trusty bridge height maps, only got another 5 or so years (if we’re spared) no point in changing now.

I did however use the original Trafficmaster YQ unit for a number of years, that was brilliant for the job, simple to use on the move too, sadly anything simple that can’t be monitored or used in evidence has to go.

Evil8Beezle:
:shock: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Where do I start■■? (No DipperDave, not with that…)

Using and following a Sat-Nav alone, is suicide and asking for trouble…
As stated above, a truckers one can be even worse as it will suggest some ridiculous routes to your intended location.
For one of my regular drops, my TomTom (and NozaTec) suggest a ludicrous route into it, on roads you look at and say “ that!” Even after you ignore it’s first advice, and carry on the route you know is best. It pops up again and suggests even even more stupid route, as it suggests you drive straight past the direct road to the drop, and want’s you to take a tiny little road looping in around the back. Only when you turn onto the direct road in (300m from the drop) does the sat-nav finally agree that this is the best route. WTF■■? :laughing:

P.S. My TomTom shows weight restricted roads as pink, and this road doesn’t denote as that. Plus the road isn’t weight limited, so i have no idea why both Sat-Nav’s don’t like it… :confused:

On the point of you needing a map to follow directions being given to you. You can do this on a Sat-Nav, as you can switch to the above view and use that just like a map. However, it’s nicer to use a book and they don’t go wrong or need batteries! :wink:

Really I’ve never had a problem using a sat nav yet (great in mind I started using them in 2003 on pocketpc