Twatnav or mapbook?

hello all, ima newbie class 1 driver (passed in august).

does anyone use mapbooks anymore?

after passing my test, the amount of drivers who said “get urself a ■■■■■■■■■■ I tell them no I prefer a mapbook.

so what is best? a mapbook or a ■■■■■■■■

Google Maps. The best of both worlds. I turn off my phones’ auto standby and use it as a “live” atlas. Shows traffic situations (in red for delays etc), I can see alternative routes and those that look a bit dodgy, and the icon shows my location. Street view is good for identifying loading bays but for some reason many of the signs showing restriction times are airbrushed over. I do have some county maps, I tend to look on them for farms, woodlands etc then point and click said location on GM.

What’s a zb ?

Welcome to TruckNet. I highly recommend the preview button.

All proper drivers use a mapbook as well as a ■■■■■
I have a nice ■■■■ at home I lick at least once a month, I quite like to finger it as well. Sometimes navigating the ■■■■ can be tricky but I usually locate the ■■■■■■■■ and work down from there.

Some swear by their ■■■■■ but I like to use them as and when needed, I find them very usefull for the last bit to help me ■■■ to my final destination.

Not sure if Deisel Dave will let me get away with this post but ive tried to keep it clean, bit like my wifes ■■■■■

When you come up to a massive queue on the M/A whatever due to an accident, you’ll find hundreds of (zb) fans all sitting in the queue unless the signs instruct a diversion…if you divert your own sensible but not necessarily the most obvious route round the queue you’ll find almost clear roads with just the odd lorry doing the same, these will be map users or those who’ve used the alternatives over the years.

I prefer maps but since they are bulky, I am moving towards google maps more and more. Same thing with having the inconvenience of page edges

Dipper_Dave:
All proper drivers use a mapbook as well as a [zb].
I have a nice [zb] at home I lick at least once a month, I quite like to finger it as well. Sometimes navigating the [zb] can be tricky but I usually locate the ■■■■■■■■ and work down from there.

Some swear by their [zb] but I like to use them as and when needed, I find them very usefull for the last bit to help me ■■■ to my final destination.

Not sure if Deisel Dave will let me get away with this post but ive tried to keep it clean, bit like my wifes [zb].

Its that long since I have been down south I doubt i would know how to work a [zb] now.

I’ve never used a ■■■■ to find my way around, I’ve found a map and a sat nav as a guide more useful.
In fact I did not even know that a ■■■■ could be used as a navigation device.
A mate of mine on a well known walking floor co was rang up by a new driver for directions to a remote farm, he said I’ll pull into a lay by in 5 mins ring me back and I’ll tell you. Anyway my mate is sat with his map on the steering wheel and boyo rings him.

Mate says ‘Right, A123 left on to B4567 and can you see that cluster of unclassifieds on the right, well you take that 3rd one, it says unsuitable for HGVs, but don’t worry then fork left on second on etc etc. Can you see the road I mean’
The lad says
‘No I can’t see them from where I’m sat, I’m miles away on the motorway services’ .

Mate shakes his head and says ‘I mean on your map’ :unamused:

Boy says ’ Oh, I don’t carry a map, only a sat nav’

Mate says ‘Right use your ■■■■■■ sat nav then’ and hangs up :smiley:

Thing is his sat nav would be useless, because it was a truck one it would tell him not to go fown the ‘unsuitable’ road and lead him away from the only way in to the farm.
Anyway 10 mins later he gets a call off the boy who had went in the msa shop and bought a map.
What happened to the days when drivers new and old used common sense.
, :bulb: Note to op, use a bit of it yourself and you will be able to answer your own bloody stupid question! :bulb:

Btw Sorry to be harsh in reply to a newbie on his first post, welcome to Trucknet :wink: :laughing:

Use the “truckers atlas” the night before to plan my route and what way I will be doing my deliveries. Bang it all in the sat nav and away I go.

If traffic is looking a bit rough, pull over for 5 mins at a services and have a quick in the map book for an alternative route.

Use both!

Dipper_Dave:
I have a nice [zb] at home I lick at least once a month, I quite like to finger it as well. Sometimes navigating the [zb] can be tricky but I usually locate the ■■■■■■■■ and work down from there.

Some swear by their [zb] but I like to use them as and when needed, I find them very usefull for the last bit to help me ■■■ to my final destination.

Not sure if Deisel Dave will let me get away with this post but ive tried to keep it clean, bit like my wifes [zb].

:laughing: can never find that licorice thingy so just lic every thing :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

sinclair89:
Use the “truckers atlas” the night before to plan my route and what way I will be doing my deliveries. Bang it all in the sat nav and away I go.

If traffic is looking a bit rough, pull over for 5 mins at a services and have a quick in the map book for an alternative route.

Use both!

Best way!

I use my satnav to find it, Google Maps to get a look around the area and a trucker’s atlas to have a look at the route for bridges, around the area for bridges/weight limits and for an alternative.

Use every tool you have is the way I see it.

A.

wirksworth rod:

Dipper_Dave:

:laughing: can never find that licorice thingy so just lic every thing :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Clean :laughing: . Apart from mentioning ■■■■■■■■. Don’t tell me, that’s a type of plant growing in your garden. A patch of wild clitori.

Juddian:
When you come up to a massive queue on the M/A whatever due to an accident, you’ll find hundreds of (zb) fans all sitting in the queue unless the signs instruct a diversion…if you divert your own sensible but not necessarily the most obvious route round the queue you’ll find almost clear roads with just the odd lorry doing the same, these will be map users or those who’ve used the alternatives over the years.

Actually you’ll probably find that some of us [zb] fans got off that particular road many miles before the queue, having been alerted to the developing problem way, way earlier on :wink:

robroy:
I’ve never used a [zb] to find my way around, I’ve found a map and a sat nav as a guide more useful.
In fact I did not even know that a [zb] could be used as a navigation device.
A mate of mine on a well known walking floor co was rang up by a new driver for directions to a remote farm, he said I’ll pull into a lay by in 5 mins ring me back and I’ll tell you. Anyway my mate is sat with his map on the steering wheel and boyo rings him.

Mate says ‘Right, A123 left on to B4567 and can you see that cluster of unclassifieds on the right, well you take that 3rd one, it says unsuitable for HGVs, but don’t worry then fork left on second on etc etc. Can you see the road I mean’
The lad says
‘No I can’t see them from where I’m sat, I’m miles away on the motorway services’ .

Mate shakes his head and says ‘I mean on your map’ :unamused:

Boy says ’ Oh, I don’t carry a map, only a sat nav’

Mate says ‘Right use your [zb] sat nav then’ and hangs up :smiley:

Thing is his sat nav would be useless, because it was a truck one it would tell him not to go fown the ‘unsuitable’ road and lead him away from the only way in to the farm.
Anyway 10 mins later he gets a call off the boy who had went in the msa shop and bought a map.
What happened to the days when drivers new and old used common sense.
, :bulb: Note to op, use a bit of it yourself and you will be able to answer your own bloody stupid question! :bulb:

Btw Sorry to be harsh in reply to a newbie on his first post, welcome to Trucknet :wink: [emoji38]

Every satnav I’ve ever used can be used as a fully scrollable, zoomable map, complete with road names and numbers right down to residential street level…

James the cat:

wirksworth rod:

Dipper_Dave:

Clean :laughing: . Apart from mentioning ■■■■■■■■. Don’t tell me, that’s a type of plant growing in your garden. A patch of wild clitori.

It certainley is, located nicely between my daffodills and ■■■■■■■■■■■ flowers. Keeping them nice and moist is the key.
The wife will help me locate it in the dark, if ive been really good she tickles it herself which is great.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Where do I start■■? (No DipperDave, not with that…)

Using and following a Sat-Nav alone, is suicide and asking for trouble…
As stated above, a truckers one can be even worse as it will suggest some ridiculous routes to your intended location.
For one of my regular drops, my TomTom (and NozaTec) suggest a ludicrous route into it, on roads you look at and say “ that!” Even after you ignore it’s first advice, and carry on the route you know is best. It pops up again and suggests even even more stupid route, as it suggests you drive straight past the direct road to the drop, and want’s you to take a tiny little road looping in around the back. Only when you turn onto the direct road in (300m from the drop) does the sat-nav finally agree that this is the best route. WTF■■? :laughing:

P.S. My TomTom shows weight restricted roads as pink, and this road doesn’t denote as that. Plus the road isn’t weight limited, so i have no idea why both Sat-Nav’s don’t like it… :confused:

On the point of you needing a map to follow directions being given to you. You can do this on a Sat-Nav, as you can switch to the above view and use that just like a map. However, it’s nicer to use a book and they don’t go wrong or need batteries! :wink:

cheers lads for all the tips.
just got myself a cb, now gotta install it in me cab!

oh and I think I could find my the way to clito! down south on the m1 I think?

could someone tell me what the ■■■■ is a ■■■■

Big Roy:
could someone tell me what the [zb] is a [zb]

A ■■■■■