TV Licence

I just wondered what you folks think of HAVING to pay it?.

I personally grudge it as i would prefer to have the choice to pay for what i watch and not have to pay for the BBC before i chose to watch anything else.

James Whale had an interesting guy on the other night talking about this is his website.

Whats your views?.

I abhor having to pay it, as I never watch the dan thing. The landlady runs two off one arial and I can’t take the arial down and not pay it, as the elderly lady downstairs won’t have one :unamused:.

You dont have to pay the licence fee for an ariel Liberace.

If you havent got a TV you dont have to pay them anything…

I object to the council tax, as I am away all week. I empty my own bins into the skip at work, there are no streetlights and I have not seen a copper all the time I have lived here

I’ve just had a playstation for my birthday, so I’m probably going to have to live with it :unamused:. I was contemplating buying 'cause their’s nothing worth watching on telly. I’m going to have to get a bigger telly now :cry::wink:.

Me personally I don’t watch much TV now but my family
do so I cannot really complain and just pay it but for
people that don’t watch much TV there should be a pay
for what you watch or something but not go over TV licence
price.

I got sky and pay £30 a month for that privelage…which includes the beeb…itv 1 & 2 and channel 5…so why should i have to pay twice…its a money for nothing organisation who wastes so much on nothing…if all the other stations have to earn a living from suscribers or advertising then why cant the bbc…although it is nice when there is a good program on the beeb and you can watch it all the way through without the ads…tried to dodge it years ago…when the licence detector van pulled up…can i see your licence he said…havnt got a telly says i smugly…well perhaps you can tell me why your tuned into the prisoner`…yes those vans really could tell what you were watching…and i was lucky not to get a fine…abolish it i say…and half the staff too…
have a nice day

truckyboy:
I got sky and pay £30 a month for that privelage…which includes the beeb…itv 1 & 2 and channel 5…so why should i have to pay twice…

Your not paying twice because channels 1,2,3,4, and 5 are freeview so if you cancel your sky subscription you can still watch these channels through your set top box

simon

Simon me old china…i am paying twice…i pay £30 a month for sky…which includes ch 1,2,3,4,5,…and on top i have to pay the licence fee which goes to the beeb…now sky gets all its revenue from the advertisers…so does…itv 1+2 and channel 5…the bbc gets its money from the licence payers…so i believe that people should have a choice of which programs they want to pay for…and so the beeb should either charge for watching…or to start advertising for the income…and people of retirement age shouldnt have to pay…if i cancelled sky i will still be able to receive the normal 5 channels…and i will still have to pay the licence fee…if i dont pay…i can still watch but run the risk of a £1000 fine…but the licence fee goes only to bbc1 +bbc2 and obviously the radio stations they run… i do not want to pay a licence fee when i use mainly sky and rarely watch the bbc television or listen to its radio…even if the beeb was disabled from my tv i would still have to pay regardless of how much i paid another network for their programs or services…and i resent this.
have a nice day

I remember this quote from an old after dinner speech.

" Don’t worry if you haven’t got a TV licence. There are only two vans in the country with spinning roof racks"

This may have been true a few years ago, but the TV licencing people apparently keep records of all unlicenced property now.

That even includes the garage/shed where I keep my wagon.

They write and ask every year if I have a TV yet. I keep telling them that it’s a brick shed and that we’ve only just discovered electricity up here!

Personally, I think the licence fee is a con. Moan over. Goodnight!

truckyboy:
if i cancelled sky i will still be able to receive the normal 5 channels

Like i said your not paying twice :stuck_out_tongue: Now if you was paying twice then surely when you cancelled your sky subricption you would lose the terrestrial channels as well :unamused:

simon

Wheel Nut:
I object to the council tax, as I am away all week. I empty my own bins into the skip at work, there are no streetlights and I have not seen a copper all the time I have lived here

Interesting point here Wheel Nut, as your away all week I guess your abode could be classed as a second home (The truck being the main residence) so you should pay less council tax :open_mouth:

If you are away all week (or longer) living in your truck,do you need a seperate licence for a TV in the wagon? My nephew is away at University in Bristol and his mum has to pay for a licence in his digs.

Brian any portable device that you have is covered by your at home licence if you have one…but i dont ever re-call anyone in a truck or caravan etc having to show their licence…your son in digs is technically liable for his own licence so his mum is right in having to pay…unfair though it is…years ago we had to have a seperate licence for a car radio…and a C.B. now its covered by the receiving licence that the greedy government bought in.
have a nice day

Just to make one small point… being American, and not having the TV license requirement, it did seem like a stupid fee… but just to put another angle on it, you guys don’t have the amount and number of commerials during your programs that we have, and thats because of this license. So its a trade off. Is it worth the fee to avoid the annoyance?

Kate i,m sure you have the choice to pay for and watch whatever channels you want over there am i right?.

We are forced to pay for the BBC before we can have any other channel, the BBC is the only channel that does not advertise all the others do, I for one do not mind the adverts some of them can be entertaining and if they are paying for my viewing then i dont mind.

The BBC could make enough money from its first advert to cover the licence fee for everyone in the UK, with it being a historical event that would be talked about for many years i am sure someone like Nike or Coca Cola would pay it.

Freedom of choice is not an option in the UK when it comes to watching the tv.

lol… you have freedom of choice… you just have to pay BBC for it.

jammymutt:
I for one do not mind the adverts some of them can be entertaining and if they are paying for my viewing then i dont mind.

I only ever see the adverts at +30 speed on the Sky+ box as I whizz through them, best way to view them. I read the other day that the ad industry, concerned at the fact that many people only see the ads at fast forward speed, are considering making short ads that will apear at normal speed when viewed at fast forward speed. Be a funny old advert at normal speed mind you.