Turkey

Anyone unlucky enough who is expecting to go on holiday there soon ?

raymundo:

Not close enough to home I fear…

The mainstream media seems to be backing the wrong side as usual… :unamused:

I leave for there at the end of August … and unless forbidden to go, I shall be going.

raymundo:

One of our lads is (supposed) to fly out next week. He’s not a happy chap at the minute. Surely if the foreign office tell us not to go he’ll get his money back no problem. Two weeks at Costa del Scarborough for him!

Winseer:
The mainstream media seems to be backing the wrong side as usual… :unamused:

It’s interesting to watch it on Fox News. The yanks don’t share the pro Turkish bias of European media, so they’re calling out Erdogan for the character he is

Our son is in Bodrum with his family until tomorrow, hopefully. Watched the news till about two when it seemed to be over but didn’t watch much Fox news as they have been so biased and inaccurate in the past.

Did someone mention a turkey coup?

Captain Caveman 76:
One of our lads is (supposed) to fly out next week. He’s not a happy chap at the minute. Surely if the foreign office tell us not to go he’ll get his money back no problem. Two weeks at Costa del Scarborough for him!

Happened to us with Tunisia last year.

We were there 2 weeks before the shooting, and 400 yards from the scene, and had booked to go back in September, then the foreign office scuppered it and the ban is still in force from the UK, but not Switzerland. I kid you not.

Ken.

I went to Oludeniz 2 years ago Nice place however I never felt 100% safe, there are no litter bins in public areas for fear of bombs and the fact it shares a border with Syria and tourists have been killed by the PKK in previous years its off the menu along with north Africa.

See what the foreign office have to say gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey

I won’t be going back for the foreseeable future.

TheBear:
I leave for there at the end of August … and unless forbidden to go, I shall be going.

Looks like you won’t be now…

I’m booked to go in september

Easy Jet are still flying to the holiday resort airports, the problems are in Ankara and Istanbul which are hundreds of miles from the tourist resorts.
Agree on Olu Deniz, nice place, did you try the paragliding ?

Strange that turkey is actually the 4th most dangerous place to holiday with Tunisia being the 3rd

toby1234abc:
Easy Jet are still flying to the holiday resort airports, the problems are in Ankara and Istanbul which are hundreds of miles from the tourist resorts.
Agree on Olu Deniz, nice place, did you try the paragliding ?

No and sad to say I probably never will, I liked the country and the people you have to think of what could happen, The Turkish government are sworn enemies of the Islamic State the border between the 2 countries is extremely easy to cross undetected and the nearest tourist resort is 12 hours from Northern Syria by car logic dictates that you not go there, they only have to be lucky once.

How it has not happened already is a miracle.

peirre:
Strange that turkey is actually the 4th most dangerous place to holiday with Tunisia being the 3rd

Blackpool being no. 2 and Brighton is numero uno :laughing:

Anyone could get from Syria to Turkey without being stopped by the police or customs by using the back roads in the mountains or forests
Old goat and sheep tracks,electricity company roads,timber lorry routes .
Similar to the Spanish ETA hiding in the Pyrenees mountain range to avoid detection after bombing the coastal resorts .

toby1234abc:
Anyone could get from Syria to Turkey without being stopped by the police or customs by using the back roads in the mountains or forests
Old goat and sheep tracks,electricity company roads,timber lorry routes .
Similar to the Spanish ETA hiding in the Pyrenees mountain range to avoid detection after bombing the coastal resorts .

Google really is marvellous isn’t it??

We’re going the end of august. Can’t wait - the hotel will hopefully be really quiet, so no fighting over sunbeds, no cuing for drinks, meals, water slides etc. Maybe even get a cheap room upgrade and extra leg room on the plane :grimacing:

No queuing on the beach when a madman storms it , armed with an AK47 and a Kalashnikov .If you look on the Foreign Office website for Turkey, the resorts are a target .
I have been to Olu Deniz , Marmaris, but not this time around.
That cheap price you paid will not be so attractive when you are stuck in the hotel or airport .