Trying to pass my test

Hello everybody im new to this forum,im cheesed off failed my class 2 hgv 3 times :blush: should i give up and do something different my company paid for 2 and the 3rd time split the cost,trouble is its a expensive
my fail results for all 3 tests.

Test 1.
Meeting another vehicle.
Driving to slow.
Traffic signs.

Test 2.

Got to close to the B cone whilst reversing on the test centre.

Test 3.

Just gears.

Even though i had a 5 day course cant seem to nail the gears and forget to use the switch are there any tips please.

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome truckeral :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
Newbies - Jobs, Agencies & EXPERIENCE & Is the UK short of drivers ? & Was it really worth it?

How to post Pics, avatars, using quotes, Driver CPC forum & Tacho & WTD regs forum

truckeral:
my fail results for all 3 tests.

truckeral:
Test 1.
Meeting another vehicle.
Driving to slow.
Traffic signs.

That seems reasonable - i’m thinking ‘nerves’

truckeral:
Test 2.
Got to close to the B cone whilst reversing on the test centre.

Too close or hitting it :question:

truckeral:
Test 3.
Just gears.

OK…

truckeral:
… cant seem to nail the gears and forget to use the switch …

Hang on…tests 1 & 2 were not failures for gears so that shows to me from what you have said that you cannot have a major problem with them.

truckeral:
any tips please.

Not really, apart from practice if needed but you have lost me a little as all three tests were fails for diffeent reasons - had they all been for the same reason then that would be different.

Curiousity - what training school you with :question:
What advice has your instructor given you :question:

I know what you mean, it is a very hard test to pass. I failed my class2 first time by clipping a roundabout.
Got it 2nd time.

I am about to take my C+E test for the 3rd time, keep going, first time I was crap on the gears just make sure you give yourself time to change gear I rushed them at first but listen out for the sound change when you go from low to high and you should be fine.

Let me know how you get on.

Hi,

I missed the B cone by a fraction did not hit it,the examiner failed me on looking down at the yellow line to long and did not check the righ hand mirror.

Training done by Three counties.

My gearbox problems are hill starting,down hill start .Say for instance the examiner says pull over here which is uphill and i was in 7th gear at the time and i need to move off using 5th gear do i flick the switch up or switch down before going in to 5th. :confused:

truckeral:
Say for instance the examiner says pull over here which is uphill and i was in 7th gear at the time and i need to move off using 5th gear do i flick the switch up or switch down before going in to 5th

For uphill are you sure you mean 5th â– â– ? - I think you mean 2nd :slight_smile:

Come to stop in 7th (high range), handbrake on, switch down, move stick through neutral and into 2nd (low range). These are basics that are normally taught by your instructor on day 1 :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Would there be a difference uphill if the vehicle is empty,or fully laden.

truckeral:

As this is not an immediate safety issue, I’m going to throw that back at you - what do you think :question: - I will reserve my answer until you have given yours :slight_smile:

I must admit I had difficulty with the 4 over 4 gearbox in the scabby scania I learnt in, not enough to stop me passing first time mind.

Handy tips your examiner should have taught you.

1. If you know your going to stop, flick the range change down before you do, that way you will be in the right range when setting off.

2. If you do forget just pretend like you changed your mind about the gear you wanted to use, e.g. 2 3 or 4 depending on the severity of the hill.

3. DONT RUSH GEARS, you will only get yoursefl in a fluff, that was part of my problem as the scanny box was VERY slow up and down range’s

4. 8 second rule for mirrors, left top bottom right top bottom.

I am sure all these are in the link Rog posted for you and more! :smiley:

Also if the speed limit says you can do a certain speed the examiner will be looking for you to be close if not on it most of the time. I.e dual carraigeways, get your boot down!! (As long as its safe of course." :grimacing:

Mike

Have you not thought of changing training providers to one that uses a different type of gearbox?

seems to me that you have a severe case of a confidence issue. im with warren t on this one. maybe you should change training providers and as an added incentive to yourself pay for it all. look at it as the carrott on the stick , when you pass . go in with an empty mind and re-learn. golden rule is to TAKE YOUR TIME AND LISTEN. hope this helps. you WILL pass next time, as Rog says its always differnt things no one area. good luck mate. :smiley:

My training instructor told me to use 5th for moving off downhilll from a stationary position the truck is a Leyland DAF, long wheelbase 4 over 4 box.

Downhill you’re ok with 5th, uphill though, as you said earlier, is a definite 2nd/3rd gear choice. I used 3rd on my test.

The way i found easiest when doing things like that, is to flick the buttons down early if you know you are going to stop, you can always flick it back up again if things change, it just saves that little bit of panic and trying to do 5 things at once

ROG:

truckeral:

As this is not an immediate safety issue, I’m going to throw that back at you - what do you think :question: - I will reserve my answer until you have given yours :slight_smile:

I actually failed my first class 1 test on that very point. I forgot the switch when I pulled up on the hill start and pulled away in 5th. I did actually get moving but he failed me saying I wouldn’t have if I had been freighted.

Now we all know that in the real world if you had done that the scenario would be as follows.

■■■■, ■■■■■■■■ …flick switch, clutch in >move stick if necessary< there we go yer ■■■■■■■

Don’t you just love the DSA test

I had the same problem, it was a confidence and nerve problem.
It took me 4 times to pass my class 2, silly little things such as indicating to early and clipping the post when reversing.
However I passed my class 1 first time!!!, when you pass your class 2 and you will then you can pass a class 1 test.

Don’t give up, you will pass. I know a guy that it took 8 times for him to pass his class 2!!!.
You’ve spent the money so why waste it giving up.

I must admit I don’t recall being told to pull away in 5th downhill myself but then again I do occasionally do just that in real life :sunglasses: .

Warren T. Claim:
I must admit I don’t recall being told to pull away in 5th downhill myself but then again I do occasionally do just that in real life :sunglasses: .

A lot would depend on the steepness - some DSA test areas only have a gentle slope whereas others can have the use of a really steep hill - the instructor will tell the trainee all they need to know - if not, get a different instructor!!

ROG:

Warren T. Claim:

A lot would depend on the steepness - some DSA test areas only have a gentle slope whereas others can have the use of a really steep hill - the instructor will tell the trainee all they need to know - if not, get a different instructor!!

Surely freewheeling up to 10mph before you release the clutch is a fail though…

Warren T. Claim:

For steep downhill start -
Engage 5th, hold on footbrake, release handbrake, do checks, signal, lift clutch to bite point, release footbrake - off you go - test pass

I’ve seen a 3 counties Artic a lot lately on the A41, i assume you’re in the Aylesbury area? It was an Artic, 6x2, which is weird, all training schools i’ve seen use 4x2’s. It wasn’t a full size trailer either.

Their website says you have be 18 to train for a Class 1 license, i thought it was 21?

ROG:

Warren T. Claim:

For steep downhill start -
Engage 5th, hold on footbrake, release handbrake, do checks, signal, lift clutch to bite point, release footbrake - off you go - test pass

Did you take your test at the Ben Nevis test centre Rog? Or did you use a V8 Scania? :laughing: :laughing: