Truckstops abroad

Having been out of touch with the transport world for about 10 years now (although it is still in my blood), I have not been keeping up with the comings and goings of the business.
Can someone tell me, please, what has happened to the BP Truckstops that were strewn haphazardly across the UK and Europe? Do they still exist? Have they been taken over by others, abandoned, developed into shopping centres and Little Chefs?
There is some method in my madness here :slight_smile: In July I have a book being published, and I really fancy the idea of a book launch in a major truckstop in the UK, and possibly another in France, on a Sunday, where all the Brit drivers are fettered by the driving ban :slight_smile: Unless I can persuade the publishing house to cough up for a launch in,ooh, I don’t know, the BP stop in Seville? Hey, I can dream…

Regards
Gaz Hunter

Gary Hunter:
There is some method in my madness here :slight_smile: In July I have a book being published, and I really fancy the idea of a book launch in a major truckstop in the UK,

Regards
Gaz Hunter

If you can find a half decent truckstop let alone a major one please let us all know. The only (ex) BP truckstops in the UK are South Mimms, Carlisle, Rugby and Penrith.

Of the top of my head abroad the major truckstops to be looking at are Lokeren, Meer, any Autohof in Germany,Asten,Venlo and Eindhoven.

AFAIK BP Macon is still going but why you would want to go there God only knows.

Good luck with the book.

Gary Hunter:
…and possibly another in France, on a Sunday, where all the Brit drivers are fettered by the driving ban

You would be unlikely to find more than a couple of Brit drivers week ended at any truck stop in Europe these days.

You will always find Brit drivers weekended at Gieselwind and at Ramstein (next to the USAF airbase).

Those are the best truck stops that I have found anywhere in Europe.

paulduncan:
You will always find Brit drivers weekended at Gieselwind and at Ramstein (next to the USAF airbase).

Those are the best truck stops that I have found anywhere in Europe.

It is getting less and less each weekend.You are right they are very good as in fairness is anywhere in Germany.
You might see the UK trucks parked up (if you are lucky) but the chances are that the drivers first language will not be the queens english unfortunately.

Excellent point Ben… All the staff at both speak “The Queens” to compensate… :laughing: :laughing:

France seems to be covered by this:-

Le Guide des Relais Routiers 2008

relais-routiers.com/

Also available from www.Amazon.fr
(Yes they post to the UK - Mine is on its way)

In Germany you can pick up a FREE guide showing location and facilities of the Autohof’s.

I have managed to add over 800 truckstops so far to my Autoroute 2007 and Tomtom of truckstops across Europe.

When I get the book I intend to see how many I still missed in my travels and update !

I did supply truckstops 2007 last year FREE to those that asked and will do the same once 2008 is complete.

Ossie

Edit 11January

Amazon, France now inform me Le Guide des Relais Routiers 2008 is not released until March 2008…Sigh…
Re-ordered from boutique.routiers.com as they said it is now in stock!

Ben9:

paulduncan:
the drivers first language will not be the queens english unfortunately.

I’ve heard very few drivers speak the Queens English, even the one’s that were born in this sceptred Isle. :laughing:

Does anyone still use the restaurant at Santhia (A4) in Italy?
I remember dropping the the trailer there and going up to Lake Viverone one weekend.

I don’t mind the wrong quote being used… :laughing: :laughing:

I ment that the staff at the truck stops at Gieselwind and Ramstein speaking english…

If you’re at either of these stops at the weekend then staff are usually that freindly that we all go out for a drink after they have finished their shifts… (At Ramstein we all go to the Irish bar in the town).

Trubrit:
Does anyone still use the restaurant at Santhia (A4) in Italy?
I remember dropping the the trailer there and going up to Lake Viverone one weekend.

Reports from colleagues at work is that “Carisio” is still alive and kicking.
I have never been so its only secondhand knowledge.

HTH

I did supply truckstops 2007 last year FREE to those that asked and will do the same once 2008 is complete.

Ossie

That is / was very kind of you Ossie. I am very interested in the 2008 selection. :sunglasses:

if you look on the useful tips site there is a link
to TRANS-TOP and on this site is a explecit
list about truck stops for drivers,for many countrys,

ossie:
France seems to be covered by this:-

Le Guide des Relais Routiers 2008

Yes, but nothing to do with BP I would have thought. BP was good in Britain but in comparison - no. :wink: :laughing:

carisio is very much alive and kicking was there this thursday lunch time for a meal and shower they also building a large hotel at the back

malcolmj:
carisio is very much alive and kicking was there this thursday lunch time for a meal and shower they also building a large hotel at the back

The hotel at the back is going to be for the new formula 1 track that is being built very close by. Well thats the rumour anyway

The European BP was never good compared to the likes of Geiselwind etc but it was a base where you could do laundry and talk crap with other brit drivers :stuck_out_tongue:

I remember BP Frechen, Feuchtwangen, Hannover. Meer. Roye, Macon, Cabbage Patch and there was one in Spain which I never stopped at.

the B.P spain is just outside Zaragoza @ La Joyosa i think and was still there last time i passed about 13 months ago

there is more than one BP in spain
zaragoza and bailen were open last time i went down
theres one near valencia i think but i’ve never been to that one

IIRC…the Bailen BP was a favourite stopping off point for the North Africa contingent (Breda transport etc). Im sure “harry” may have some tales about that place!! :laughing: