Truckstop take away ban

I’m sure a lot will have seen it on facey! A truckstop has banned you from eating a take away in your cab and your only options to eat on site are to self cater or use their cafe.

I think it’s bonkers and it certainly wouldn’t stop me getting a take away if that’s what I wanted.

But it’s surprised me just how many support him / don’t have a problem with it.

Thoughts?

stevieboy308:
I’m sure a lot will have seen it on facey! A truckstop has banned you from eating a take away in your cab and your only options to eat on site are to self cater or use their cafe.

I think it’s bonkers and it certainly wouldn’t stop me getting a take away if that’s what I wanted.

Thoughts?

His land his rules

stevieboy308:

Thoughts?

Spill the beans

blue estate:

stevieboy308:

Thoughts?

His land his rules

Yes but it is also the drivers home away from home !
The question is where do you draw the line ? If I carry my own food for preparation when I park up or call in a pie shop and take it with me to the park, There is no difference I am carrying my own food for consumption when I park.
What becomes the problem is a Delivery of the Pizza to your Truck within the Truck Stop, which is a form of trespassing and illegal competition.
I agree it is the owners / managers choice and they do have the right to Bann whomever.

Sabretooth:

blue estate:

stevieboy308:

Thoughts?

His land his rules

Yes but it is also the drivers home away from home !
The question is where do you draw the line ? If I carry my own food for preparation when I park up or call in a pie shop and take it with me to the park, There is no difference I am carrying my own food for consumption when I park.
What becomes the problem is a Delivery of the Pizza to your Truck within the Truck Stop, which is a form of trespassing and illegal competition.
I agree it is the owners / managers choice and they do have the right to Bann whomever.

I don’t have a problem with him saying no delivery cars on site, but saying you can’t walk in with a take away, yeah good luck with that.

What Truck stops this then?
Personally I’d rather sit in a truck stop have a proper real at a table rather than some. takeaway . Sat in turck seat
But each to there own

edd1974:
Personally I’d rather sit in a truck stop have a proper real at a table rather than some. takeaway . Sat in turck seat
But each to there own

ADS truckstop at Stoke on Trent never stayed there myself but gets good reviews I agree with bluey his land his rules he’s got food available no need to use a takeaway

I dont think the choice should be taken away (haha, get it?) But I do think it’s an issue caused in oart by a portion of drivers, for instance those who see their night out mkmey as pay rather using it for a meal.

We’ve all been in truckstops where people will use all the facilities but won’t spend a penny more with the result that the place will end up closing down. Granted they get money for the parking aspect but if cooking facilities are provided those will need paying for, as will the staff, ingredients and so on. Then truckstop owner is robbing Peter the parking costs to pay for the upkeep and running of other parts of the business.

I’ve never been averse to using truckstop facilities. Quite often we bemoan a lack of facilities but fail to use the ones that are there then moan again when they’re gone. Put simply they need our support as do a lot of small businesses. For instance my barber does a loyalty card where you pay for six haircuts, get stamped and the next one is free but I refuse to use it because I’d rather support a local business in a small way.

Uncleskid:

edd1974:
But each to there own

ADS truckstop at Stoke on Trent never stayed there myself but gets good reviews I agree with bluey his land his rules he’s got food available no need to use a takeaway

He’s just spent £1000’s on a new cafe

I agree with bluey his land his rules.

Check out the rules at Jcn 26, on M25 :open_mouth:

Use a nearby fast food outlet instead, if the “Truckstop” isn’t interested in being one themselves. :bulb:

SWEDISH BLUE:

That’s the one that charges £50 a night no idea if it includes a meal.
Never had a night out there. Stopped odd time for my 45 had a brew n bite to eat in there but not for a while now

Certainly would not be pleased if I owned a pub/restaurant/cafe /truckstop and someone sat in one of my parking spaces eating a takeaway and then more than likely want to dump their rubbish in my bins and want to use my facilities ie toilet.

lolipop:
Certainly would not be pleased if I owned a pub/restaurant/cafe /truckstop and someone sat in one of my parking spaces eating a takeaway and then more than likely want to dump their rubbish in my bins and want to use my facilities ie toilet.

That would be a valid argument if you hadn’t paid to park.

edd1974:

SWEDISH BLUE:

That’s the one that charges £50 a night no idea if it includes a meal.
Never had a night out there. Stopped odd time for my 45 had a brew n bite to eat in there but not for a while now

Used this regularly with snap. There is a meal voucher included in parking. The bar was nice and enough showers.

I used to always pop to the sainsbury next door @ swindon truckstop the staff did give me dirtys a couple of times but idgaf. Im not dumb to be paying £1.60 for a packet of crisp

Dont think they can ban you either, signs were just for parking restrictions plus court will side with driver were else are we supposed to have our break. Possibility when building service station/truckstop it will have in written somewere that above practise is illegal but i cba digging

If the on site food is good and reasonably priced they have nothing to fear . If its not then the takeaway drivers will be at the gate - sounds like they are trying to stifle the competition and you have to wonder why - a captive crowd and no choice but eat what they provide . Free choice still exists apparently

The truck stop has a personal old school touch. The people who run the place know most drivers by name. There is a nice carvery on site. Proper home cooked meal without breaking the bank. I always stop there nearly every week.Its not one of those faceless places.

WheelsofCardiff:
The truck stop has a personal old school touch. The people who run the place know most drivers by name. There is a nice carvery on site. Proper home cooked meal without breaking the bank. I always stop there nearly every week. Its not one of those faceless places.

And Andrew goes the extra mile to help drivers in any sort of distress.

Ken.

WheelsofCardiff:
The truck stop has a personal old school touch. The people who run the place know most drivers by name. There is a nice carvery on site. Proper home cooked meal without breaking the bank. I always stop there nearly every week.Its not one of those faceless places.

I am sure I read in the free truckstop paper.
That this place was owned run by an ex trucker. And opened not long before COVID 19 hit the country…
Couldn’t of picked a worse time to start up . But by sound of it he’s doing a good.job of it