Truckspotters?

I was sat in Taunton services years ago in a two day old (G reg) ERF which was obviously still shining like a proverbial toilet door when a fella wandered over and asked if I minded him taking some pictures of the truck, after I assured him that was fine and dandy by me I asked about his interest in it. He replied something along the lines of him being president of the ERF fan club, I then told him if he liked it that much and if he could give me the train fare home he could keep the heap of ■■■■!

He wasn’t best pleased. :grimacing:

the maoster:
I was sat in Taunton services years ago in a two day old (G reg) ERF which was obviously still shining like a proverbial toilet door when a fella wandered over and asked if I minded him taking some pictures of the truck, after I assured him that was fine and dandy by me I asked about his interest in it. He replied something along the lines of him being president of the ERF fan club, I then told him if he liked it that much and if he could give me the train fare home he could keep the heap of [zb]!

He wasn’t best pleased. :grimacing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Company I used to work for (well Tarmac Plant to be exact) had a leaving do for the driver who was retiring and I was taking over from and as well as other stuff presented him with a picture of his last wagon when it was brand new coming through the gates. Bought a tear to his eye, but me being young and synical at the time I didn’t realise what a great gesture not to mention forsight this was.

So snap away everyone, one day in the future you will make an old trucker very happy.

Funnily enough, somebody just took a photo of my truck, but from their stern visage and the fact that they took it on their mobile phone, I think it may have had more to do with the fact that I was parked on double yellows. :stuck_out_tongue:

Do yous use a phone or a camera I use a phone myself but it’s has a really good camera and I couldn’t afford a good camera :laughing:

My girlfriend is a keen photographer and there’s absolutely no doubt about it, you cannot begin to compare the quality of even the best photo taken on a mobile phone with one that has been taken with a Nikon or other professional standard camera.

ajt:
Personally find it more strange those who have no interest in trucks yet drive trucks for a living. :confused:

+1

Harry Monk:
My girlfriend is a keen photographer and there’s absolutely no doubt about it, you cannot begin to compare the quality of even the best photo taken on a mobile phone with one that has been taken with a Nikon or other professional standard camera.

Yes but my phone has all the same technology as a nikon

irish lorries:

Harry Monk:

Maybe the same number of pixels, but you can’t compare the lens on a phone to a proper camera or the ability to alter exposure and shutter timing just for starters. If they were that good then all the paps outside the Oscars would be wielding I phones! :smiley:

the maoster:

irish lorries:

Harry Monk:

Maybe the same number of pixels, but you can’t compare the lens on a phone to a proper camera or the ability to alter exposure and shutter timing just for starters. If they were that good then all the paps outside the Oscars would be wielding I phones! :smiley:

You can do both of them on my phone anyway but yes your right it wouldn’t have all the effects that a very good camera like a Nikon would have but the normal photo is just as good and its not a iPhone it’s a Nokia somthing

Drift:
Kev, I see your in Southport, what bus company did you drive for (ex bus driver myself :wink: )

Hi Drift
I joined Ribble Motor Services in late January 1968, having served my time as a Carpenter/Joiner. As a Conductor, I did a little over Twelve Months, and it was suggested to me by a work colleague, that I apply to go through the Companies Driving School, which I did, successfully.
There followed 9 Years of driving which took me to such wonderful places as Glasgow/Edinburgh, Morecambe! even. Plus the usual stage carriage, Wigan, Warrington, Liverpool, Preston, and, on occasion Oswaldtwistle. When the One Man Driver was unavailable.

I eventually left In 1978 having no wish to Drive One manned Buses.
I do now regret not spending my severance pay by not going for my HGV as it was at that time.
But, then again, I joined our local Theatre here in Southport, as Stage Crew, and, on reflection I do wonder would I have ever met and worked with the likes of Roy Orbison, Tina Turner, Hall and Oats, Eurythmics to mention just a few. Drift, the list is endless, far to many for me to recall.
But on the other hand, had I gone for my HGV, and possibly joined Edwin Shirley, the Trans Am boys, or one of the many Coaching Companies who knows .
Now at the age of 67 I still find myself longing for the open road, Health problems intervene unfortunately.

Well thanks once again Drift, it as been good to communicate with one of the Stalwarts of Trucknet.
Thanks again Drift.
Regards
Kevin.

Harry Monk:

Cannot argue with that statement Harry

irish lorries:

the maoster:

irish lorries:

Harry Monk:

You can do both of them on my phone anyway but yes your right it wouldn’t have all the effects that a very good camera like a Nikon would have but the normal photo is just as good and its not a iPhone it’s a Nokia somthing

Sorry but I have to ■■■■ in! (I can’t stop myself!!!) :smiley:

A good quality camera, and a phone that has a camera, are not in anyway comparable, even if they are claimed to be the same pixel resolution! As already mentioned the lens plays a major factor, as does exposure, light metering and balance, etc… But the biggest factor not mentioned so far, is the light sensor (What records the image). Generally this is done as RGB (Red Green Blue), which builds the image we see. But Blue light is particularly difficult to sense/measure. So your phone camera has an “OK” sensor that does a reasonable job of capturing the light spectrum and generating an image. But a quality camera has a far better sensor and builds a far more accurate approximation of the image. The resolution of a camera is based on the number of cells on the sensor that read the image, and a good quality camera has a tighter density of cells, which results in a less distorted (often fisheye) effect that can be found on a camera phone. (As well as increased blurring as you move further from the centre of the image) Finally (yes finally) A cheap camera often struggles to uniquely identify RGB values in each cell, and colour distortion occurs from the neighbouring cells, resulting in a less crisp or accurate image than a quality camera.

But in short, I could have just said: You get what you pay for! And if a camera phone is good enough for you, then enjoy! :smiley:

Yes you do get what you pay for but my phone wasn’t cheap here’s a photo of one like it but mine is yellow do you see what I mean about the camera

nokia-lumia-1020-camera-650x0.jpg

LOL, Yep it’s a phone that has a camera slapped on it. And I admit it is one of the better camera phones. But it still won’t compare to a real camera. It says it’s a 41 MegaPixel, which gives a resolution of 7712 x 5360. Do you take images at this resolution? As if you did your memory card would fill up in no time! (You probably only use the lower 5 MegaPixel image setting, which are still huge/excessive if your only posting online or reviewing on the camera screen. Which indecently is a resolution of 1280×768). There is also no optical zoom. Instead it uses a digital zoom which results in blurring compared to an optical zoom. Finally (again), the images on your camera are saved as JPG (Stands for Joint Programming Group) and uses a Discrete Cosine Transform algorithm to compress the images to save space. This compression is lossy and results in rouge pixels being generated. You may not see them when viewing them on the screen or on a computer (without zooming) but for print work they are less than acceptable. A good quality camera saves it’s images in RAW format and has no loss of quality.

As I said before, it’s horse for courses. Nothing wrong with your camera and probably fine for your use. But there is a difference between a camera phone and a high spec dedicated camera.

Evil8Beezle:
LOL, Yep it’s a phone that has a camera slapped on it. And I admit it is one of the better camera phones. But it still won’t compare to a real camera. It says it’s a 41 MegaPixel, which gives a resolution of 7712 x 5360. Do you take images at this resolution? As if you did your memory card would fill up in no time! (You probably only use the lower 5 MegaPixel image setting, which are still huge/excessive if your only posting online or reviewing on the camera screen. Which indecently is a resolution of 1280×768). There is also no optical zoom. Instead it uses a digital zoom which results in blurring compared to an optical zoom. Finally (again), the images on your camera are saved as JPG (Stands for Joint Programming Group) and uses a Discrete Cosine Transform algorithm to compress the images to save space. This compression is lossy and results in rouge pixels being generated. You may not see them when viewing them on the screen or on a computer (without zooming) but for print work they are less than acceptable. A good quality camera saves it’s images in RAW format and has no loss of quality.

As I said before, it’s horse for courses. Nothing wrong with your camera and probably fine for your use. But there is a difference between a camera phone and a high spec dedicated camera.

It does me I don’t take pictures of lorries as a hobby I just like to and can I just say you know your cameras I don’t now what your talking about how do i put the phone to 41 megapixel mamory isn’t a problem as I have orther memory cards

Enjoy snapping! :smiley:

I’m no camera buff, but I was a graphic designer in a previous life… (So I know about image work)

Thanks I will but you really do know what your talking about but do you know how I can put my phone to 41 megapixel

Ive been into photography since school, could probably still develop film if I put my mind to it. My view is a camera phone is better than an SLR in the hands of someone who cant use it properly. Personally I have an Olympus Pen, the micro four thirds which a few years ago cost best part of a grand with lenses and I barely use it since I got the phone above, the Nokia 1020. Personally I think too many people think they can take good pictures because they have an expensive camera when in my opinion most of them might as well use a phone. Photography can often be less about the technical specs of the camera and more about the photographers skill with getting the best from what ever they have and the ability to see and frame a pic, both things which the most expensive camera cant help you with. I find the Nokia ideal for most of my photography and side by side comparisons with my expensive camera often find the Nokia wins in all but the most technical shots and the fact is give the average man in the street a phone or an SLR and the difference would be all that impressive

switchlogic:
Ive been into photography since school, could probably still develop film if I put my mind to it. My view is a camera phone is better than an SLR in the hands of someone who cant use it properly. Personally I have an Olympus Pen, the micro four thirds which a few years ago cost best part of a grand with lenses and I barely use it since I got the phone above, the Nokia 1020. Personally I think too many people think they can take good pictures because they have an expensive camera when in my opinion most of them might as well use a phone. Photography can often be less about the technical specs of the camera and more about the photographers skill with getting the best from what ever they have and the ability to see and frame a pic, both things which the most expensive camera help you with. I find the Nokia ideal for most of my photography and side by side comparisons with my expensive camera often find the Nokia wins in all but the most technical shots and the fact is give the average man in the street a phone or an SLR and the difference would be all that impressive

Got the same phone as you and I think your right if like me you don’t know what your doing your better with a phone I barely even know how to use the camera on my phone never mind a experienced camera