Trucks to be provided with dash cams to catch reckless drivers

Operation journey. 100 trucks and coaches that travel high risk routes.

Dashcams at not cost to the operator.

Does not say if all the footage will be uploaded and stored automatically and reviewed or whether it will still be user uploaded.

if it is uploaded automatically i wonder how much is uploaded. Also who will decide what is an incident will it be the usual your a professional driver you should of some how engaged jump jet mode and avoided the car that literately drove under your wheels and braked to get off at the sliproad

It will be the police that review footage and prepare cases to send to the CPS to determine whether prosecutions will go ahead much like most of the dashcam upload portals to the police forces in most areas I imagine.

Decision of the PCC:

1. Accept the Operation Journey funding for Ā£65,000 from the Department for Transport.
  2. Purchase of dash cams from Nextbase at an agreed price.
  3. Develop an approach to ensure dash cams are distributed to the suitable road users who
    live within the Humberside Police area.
  4. Purchase of body cams for Community Speed Watch and cycle cams at an agreed price
    (provider to be determined).
  5. Work with R-evolution to determine the best approach to distributing and monitoring
    usage of cycle cams.
  6. Report back to the Department for Transport as per the agreed schedule.

Nextbase cameras so will most likely be user submitted footage as nextbase already have a portal to upload to police forces. But as far as I know it still needs users intervention to upload footage.

Will be the nextbase 380GW most likely as that is aimed at businesses users unless they opt for cheaper rocking of cheaper units.

lets hope it is a positive thing and is used properly im all for making the roads safer as im sure we all are.

I imagine there will be an element of AI scanning of footage as an initial identification of whether it is relevant, then passed on to police for review before any further steps are taken. If it catches out those who are on their phones, Iā€™m all for it. Same as catching those brake-checking car drivers!

Aint been on this dying forum for a couple of weeks, nothing much interesting to comment onā€¦but as a confirmed realist and absolute cynic Iā€™ve just got to get my gnashers into this pure chestnut.:joy:.

Wowsers!..What a piece of expert positive spin by an authoriative body eh? :sunglasses:.
Top marks and congratulations to the guy who came up with this one.
He attempts (and reading the replies succeeds) to sell the scheme to us in the context of us ā€˜saving livesā€™ and ā€˜DEFINITELY nothing to do whatsoever with saving cash and making cashā€™', hoping we will swallow itā€¦Aye right.:joy:

Then hey presto, the clever bit kicks in when they fit these cameras (and free of chargeā€¦how kind of them eh?)
Wait for itā€¦

We as drivers do the job of the Police for them at very little costā€¦absolutely brilliant that manā€¦round of applause for him, he deserves it.

I bet the already self appointed Police among us who have the Old Bill already on speed dial in their jobs are sat nursing a semi thinking about this one.:smiley:

So now Iā€™ve stopped laughing at this, Iā€™ll now put my serious head on in a Wurzell Gummidge styleešŸ˜ƒā€¦

Just wait to it backfires when a lot of the drivers who actively subscribe to this end up getting done themselves for minor misdemeanours,.and only BECAUSE they have these particular cameras fitted ā€¦that the over zealous Old Bill have viewed ā€¦aka being watched and monitored by stealth !

Then furthermore wait to it becomes evident that the odd one or two usual ā€˜road marshallsā€™ are creating situations themselves for effect, actually CAUSING dangerous situations, just like these absolute moronic balloons on you tube who spend their social time creating situations themselves to look like two bob heroesā€¦In fact remember the guy on this here forum a few years ago who posted footages and got called out by those amongst us who were less gulible that they were all his fault,.and created by him !!..which he later admitted ffs :flushed:

I will no doubt get stick for this from those who have swallowed all this at face value and been conned by it hook line and sinker, along with the usual pompous ā€˜expertsā€™ and also the self righteous (bring it on btw,.could not give a one whatsoever) :joy:

Trust meā€¦I am 101% for road safety, but this is not the way.
The obligatory reply of ā€¦ā€˜Well if it saves one lifeā€™ will no doubt come back, but that is what they want us to think to sell it to us in a positive contextā€¦dont be fooled by these authoriative nob heads.

The REAL answer?
Get back to proper good old fashioned high profile Police presence, and old style routine traffic policing and patrolling as it once was.
Because make no mistake the lack of it and the reduction of it over the last 20 or so years is sure as hell the CAUSE of the pees poor driving and lack of road discipline, courtesy and empathy,.and not just car drivers either, in fact ESPECIALLY truck drivers.

Me and you lot driving our trucks wearing a tall black helmet is NOT the answer, it is essentially, purely and only (bloody good) pr/propaganda,.saving and making money, and a sticking plaster over an othetwise terminal wound.
Cheers.

Big brother is watching.

Thing is i would be surprised if there was a company out there that didnā€™t have dash cams fitted already. My experience of insurance companies is they toss a coin in the air to decide whose fault it is and make up rules as they go along so it pays to have some form of camera to back your side of the story up.

1 Like

Dont want to get into the old boring dashcam debacle as to whether they are there for ā€˜our benefitā€™ or not ā€¦yet again yawn yawn.
But these particular cameras are actually being directly monitored by the Police at all times.
Whether or not you ate the safest driver in the world,ā€¦they ARE as the nature of the beast of the Police, going to find something that you as the driver are blameworthy for, with the sh. storm that follows, ā€¦which would not have been picked up on if this scheme was not active.
That was part of my disapproval of this stuff.

Iā€™m certain there are some, but itā€™ll only be the smaller, cheapskate (or just plain dodgy) operators. Having once been the intended victim of a scammer who claimed Iā€™d bashed his car, then yes, definitely would want a dashcam these days. My incident was about nine years ago, dashcams were a bit less common back then and my employer was the cheapest of cheapskates. I ended up having to provide my own evidence to the insurer and the police (after I got a NIP from N. Yorks plod), based on measurements of the car, my truck and the site of the non-existent incident, with some pictures of the location.

All to prove that it would have been impossible for me to have done what was claimed, without smashing down the brick wall of a building adjoining the site of the non-existent incident. An inexpensive dashcam would have saved me a whole load of extra effort.

i wasnā€™t trying to start the dash cam debate again as you say that has been done to death. The point i was making was that i would of thought any company that would allow the police to fit a camera probably already has one fitted. As you pointed out in your previous post this is another attempt at the scheme they had a little while ago getting members of the public to upload video footage of people being idiots usually caused by their own actions. I donā€™t see how they will get companies to do it as they have to be a special kind of silly to open the can of worms the company could find themselves in.

Really? Where is that mentioned?

Badly phrased Frangers.
Should read FOOTAGE directly monitoted by the Police, which is obviously the raison dā€™etre for them ā€¦as you say or imply it does not say anywhere that the cameras are monitored directly by the Police.

So what is your take on it?
Iā€™m assuming you buy the official blurb?

@Cooper.
There is no shortage of the ā€˜special kind of sillyā€™ required in this industry bud.

They are not, so far as I can see, monitoring anything be it live or recordings.
My thoughts were that the police would look at footage sent to them.
They donā€™t have the time to view everything.

If someone actually wants to send in footage of themselves causing an accidentā€¦well, nothing to stop them I sā€™pose.

every day i see on faceache shorts or what ever the things are called of someone deliberately speeding up and sitting in the blind spot of a lorry then hooting the horn and saving the clip when the lorry needs to change lanes.

Yes, car and truck drivers failing to realise that not all other road users are as chuffing perfect as they are (!) and not giving an inch of ā€œtheirā€ road nor slowing by the tiniest fraction of an mph.

The number of idiots who manage to change a minor inconvenience into an accident or a full blown and self indignant rantā€¦yes, I do know what irony isā€¦ to be shocking.
But that is what so much media is.

Just to reiterate Frangersā€¦
It all could be prevented stopped and observed if there was more Traffic Division Police in high profile Police cars.
Surely even you and me can agree on that one.