Trucks on idle

Can anyone explain why some drivers insist on starting their truck in the morning and leaving it on tickover while they ■■■■, shave, wash, ■■■■, paperwork, map read or whatever they do while it’s obvious the driver next door is still trying to sleep as he has the curtains drawn :question: :question:

I got out (and then up) to speak to the Mike Beer driver this morning after he left it running for 10 - 15 minutes while he ‘heated up the cab’ and then moved off to the fuel pump and switched off :exclamation:

Its not the first time I have parked next to somebody after they have settled down for the night and I try my best not to disturb anyone on arrival or when parked. I had to explain this to the MB driver as he seemed too ignorant and/or too thick to understand. :smiling_imp:

Is that it? They are just ignorant and thick and I’m reasonable in what I do.
Do they really start their car and leave it running before they move off in the morning/evening or Monday/Friday and wake the neighbours up. I expect not :confused:

they stopped doing that at Maritime Southampton depot when one of the drivers ended up being locked out of his cab

someone got up and removed the keys, locked the cab and posted the keys through the office letterbox, and the poor driver had to wait in the cold drivers room with no food or drink for over 3 hours :wink: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

countykev:
Can anyone explain why some drivers insist on starting their truck in the morning and leaving it on tickover while they [zb], shave, wash, ■■■■, paperwork, map read or whatever they do while it’s obvious the driver next door is still trying to sleep as he has the curtains drawn :question: :question:

I got out (and then up) to speak to the Mike Beer driver this morning after he left it running for 10 - 15 minutes while he ‘heated up the cab’ and then moved off to the fuel pump and switched off :exclamation:

Its not the first time I have parked next to somebody after they have settled down for the night and I try my best not to disturb anyone on arrival or when parked. I had to explain this to the MB driver as he seemed too ignorant and/or too thick to understand. :smiling_imp:

Do they really start their car and leave it running before they move off in the morning/evening or Monday/Friday and wake the neighbours up. I expect not :confused:

its better for the engine to be ‘warmed up’ so to speak before moving off, lets the engine oil warm and go around the engine. cold engine is when the most damage is done,so letting it warm up is better before having to get the engine revving and/or working hard

Building up the air :question: :question: :question: :unamused: :unamused:

dbt:

countykev:
Can anyone explain why some drivers insist on starting their truck in the morning and leaving it on tickover while they [zb], shave, wash, ■■■■, paperwork, map read or whatever they do while it’s obvious the driver next door is still trying to sleep as he has the curtains drawn :question: :question:

its better for the engine to be ‘warmed up’ so to speak before moving off, lets the engine oil warm and go around the engine. cold engine is when the most damage is done,so letting it warm up is better before having to get the engine revving and/or working hard

aaahhhh, bless, he’s off again :unamused:

there is no need to let it idle for 10 - 15 minutes though :wink:

pierrot 14:

for that amount of time, it would have a serious air leak, and get a PG9 and fail an MoT for taking too long to build up the air

shuttlespanker:

dbt:

countykev:

aaahhhh, bless, he’s off again :unamused:

there is no need to let it idle for 10 - 15 minutes though :wink:

10-15 min no fair enough,
but, is what i said wrong or something?? here i go ‘again’

Well things attitudes and practices change and some drivers unfortunately forget to turn the hymn sheet page at the precise moment.

Not so long ago it was accepted practice to start your engine and run the engine warm before driving, indeed this was writ in stone in Volvo drivers handbooks, for all i know it may still be so.

Those same drivers probably let the lorry tick over for a few minutes to allow some cooling oil to wash through the turbo oilways before shutdown.

I’ll wager those drivers who warm and cool their vehicles properly have fewer breakdowns with things like turbo failures and longer vehicle and component lives than those who start and roar off with the icicles still hanging off the exhaust pipe and shut the engine down from 1500rpm with the turbo still spinning and at its max possible temperature.

I don’t stink out other lorry drivers if i can help it, but i run my engines warm and allow them to cool as i have done for a bloody lifetime, must be a right numpty me then.
I’ll be carrying on too.

there is nothing wrong with running the engine for a few minutes to warm up at the start of a shift, and let it cool and slow down after a drive, but, there is no need to let it idle for 10-15 minutes

all that does is waste diesel and ■■■■ other drivers off if they are trying to sleep next to them

countykev:

Your in the wrong job soft arse HTH :wink:

shuttlespanker:

pierrot 14:

for that amount of time, it would have a serious air leak, and get a PG9 and fail an MoT for taking too long to build up the air

Agree, if it’s for that long, didn’t really take in the amount of time posted. But it does take a few minutes sometimes.

Then there’s those that just sit there with the engine running to recharge the batteries, after having running them down watching tv or using a laptop etc.

what would be wrong with idling until the air is built up (if you need to )then moving on ? The engine will come up to normal working temperature - I’m not saying you need to be the next Jenson Button - theres no need to cane it for the first mile or so - trundle along letting the speed and the temperatures build up gradually.

I understand warming up a bit as I switch on, as I do walkround and lights check before moving off and run for a bit before switching off but it don’t need 10 - 15 minutes before moving 30 yards to fuel pump :exclamation:

If it needs to pump up air before moving it needs repairing :exclamation:

I aint a ‘soft arse’ either as I got out to speak to him directly and didn’t just come on here and whinge and get stupid feedback as per normal from some …

Get up earlier. :laughing:

shuttlespanker:
they stopped doing that at Maritime Southampton depot when one of the drivers ended up being locked out of his cab

someone got up and removed the keys, locked the cab and posted the keys through the office letterbox, and the poor driver had to wait in the cold drivers room with no food or drink for over 3 hours :wink: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Quality!

5 mins either side is your limit or idle for 20 mins if you’ve been there longer than 24 hrs, deviate from this and you will be shot. :stuck_out_tongue:

Had this at S.Mimms last night, JF next to me in his ageing Magnum rattled mi fillings at least 8 times through the night, only a couple of minutes at a time but ffs, I didn’t have to be up till six but being up at four dreaming up devious ideas to get my own back can send a man doolally.

There must be around a dozen or more drivers in the past 12 months who have pulled up at the barrier and walked to the gatehouse leaving their engines ticking over at my local DHL depot.
These dozen or more drivers have locked themselves out when they slammed the door, causing no end of hilarity & chaos when they find themselves unable to move the truck, and no one else can get into the depot, I think the record for being locked out is around 3hrs while the engine ticks over before the dealer van turns up on call out. Now the guys in the gatehouse prefer to see you walking up to the office with keys in hand.

Though I confess that if Im in a puddlejumper Ill leave it on fast idle for hours to keep warm as theres no nightheater fitted to em

You would never survive in a country like Canada when everyone parks up & idles at some 1500 rpm for the whole night. Running engines & noise is a fact of life in any truck park I would think. I have been in truck parks when a driver gets up to have a go at another driver about the noise he is making & in doing so wakes everyone else. Pointless really. Just turn over & go back to sleep.

I run mine for 5 minutes or so when parking up, another 20 minutes during the evening and ten minutes in the morning before kick off.
I avoid msa’s partly for this reason but some times they are unavoidable.

Thing is though that any place that othere trucks park aint going to be quiet is it.

I have a ten year old topline with over a million miles on the clock. In this sort of weather it might take 10 - 15 mins worth of warming up. Do I want to change it? No but sometimes it needs a bit to get going in the morning!