truckoff!

Saw this in Commercial Motor today.

http://www.truckoff.org.uk

The invitation says - ‘Please get involved - and ask your friends and neighbours to do so as well.’ So I thought I’d put it up here.

While I sympathise in some way with residents concerns this is not the way to do it. Taking direct action like this is bound to end in tears.

Action by the residents to ensure proper and adequate parking is available for Driver’s would be far more productive than just moving the problem onto someone else’s front door.

For many years, there has been a signifcant problem on Cheriton High Street with lorry parking. Many lorries on their way to or from the continent stop in the slip road off Cheriton High Street (opposite Tescos, right by junction 12 of the M20) to take their required break**.**
[/quote]
so in theory they are making drivers run on beyond hours cause theres no where else to park.
> They are parking near homes with generators or refrigeration units running overnight, disturbing residents in the neighbouring houses.
think of the poor driver whos heads three feet away from it. maybe we should turn the fridge of so your kids get food poisoning
> Often, due to the lack of local facilities, there is also litter left
maybe put a few bins in the layby :question:
another case of we need you ,just not on our doorstep :smiling_imp:

I personally think it is mostly foreign trucks.

I tried to have a look but ended up here shepwaylibdems.org.uk/truckoff

jammymutt:
I tried to have a look but ended up here shepwaylibdems.org.uk/truckoff

Yeah jammy it redirects you there - have a look at that page mate!

What do you think?

Please do NOT approach or argue with lorry drivers.

Are we that dangerous?.

Needless to say for me it was nice to see a Scotsman being elected the leader of the party and until i saw this i was a swaying voter from the Conservative party to the labdums but not now it looks like i will be staying with Mr Cameron and friends.

This looks like yet another bunch of lefty loonies ane nimbies who hate us and what we do for a living, all i can say is that i hope they understand the 500,000 people visiting this site could be a lot of votes for them if they were the one and only party who actually care about lorry drivers.

Just been pointed at this board - thanks to jammymutt! I’m running the campaign being talked about - so I hope explaining what we are doing in this specific place is helpful - or at least give you the chance to shout at me direct :wink:

I entirely agree that there should be a proper provision for drivers - with appropriate facilities, and an appropriate location. As we say, and mean, on our web site at http://www.truckoff.org.uk:

"The campaign wants to make is clear that we have no argument with lorry drivers. They are performing a hugely important job, without which our country, shops and services would soon stop. Cheriton residents have no problem with lorry drivers, and understand how hard their job must be, and how important they are to our country, and economy.

Local residents would support lorry drivers right to good facilities, and a proper place to park, stop, eat and sleep. However Cheriton High Street is not the right place - there are no facilities, and it is too close to houses."

There are some, but not enough facilities for lorry parking locally - for instance Folkestone Harbour: http://www.folkestoneharbour.com/pages/comm.html. There should clearly be more, but to my mind (and that of many local residents), street parking of lorries directly by housing is not the answer.

Are we that dangerous?

We encourage people not to approach lorry drivers because we don’t want the lorry drivers intimidated as much as anything (many local residents are really unhappy about the constant noise specifically of refrigeration units and generators running overnight) - or woken if asleep. We didn’t want people banging on cab doors trying to force the drivers to move on!

This site is one where there is an acknowledged problem - the alteration to the layout of that road to stop this problem was apparently in the Channel Tunnel Act some 20 years ago, but tragically, as ever, government and local authorities seem not to have managed to get their act together in that time(!). Equally, there is a Kent County Council plan that will actually stop any parking in that area - again, the plan exists and is in the Council’s “to-do” list, but after many months of waiting, the plan still has not been implemented as other schemes keep getting priority.

The proposed scheme for an Operation Stack solution lorry park proposed at Aycliffe Heights towards Dover could I hope really help - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/TRUCKS/news/release.jsp?year=2005&month=november&section=docs&feed=tnn&release=doverpark) - I hope that facilities will be put here so this is an all year round facility for drivers, and not just used at times of Stack.

Despite some reporting of it, this is not an anti-Lorry driver campaign, and accepts the huge contribution of the freight industry to the local and national economy - it is specifically only about inappropriate parking in this one place.

I hope this helps a bit - but may of course confirm me as a lefty loony or nimby :frowning:

Typical of the Lib Dems :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Had it not Occured to them that getting a petition calling for a proper parking area for Trucks would be a better Solution all round and would even have the support of Truck Drivers :sunglasses:

I Had an interesting chat the other day with regards to Ashford Truckstop, as we are mostly aware this was purchased by a Land developer who does intend to re-develop the land at some point in the future, however, part of the agreement for him to close the 300 parking space site is that he must provide another service area for trucks to park.

It appears he is complying with the agreement by supplying another Truck stop near to Folkstone where 30 Trucks can park, after all, the agreement did not mention anything about it having to be the same size.

How true it is I dont know, however, the conversation was with a Local Truck Driving resident from that area so obviously it cannot be totally discounted.

Mr Prator,

I am a lifelong and loyal Lib Dem voter, and have recently been seriously considering becoming a paid up Party member. Unfortunately I have become increasingly disillusioned by the Lib Dem’s complete failure to register the problems within the road transport industry and address those issues for the good of everyone.

I recently contacted Party HQ and asked a series of very specific questions regarding policy in this area, after I was unable to find any details in the Party Manifesto. Their response was to send me a copy of party policy on transport in general, basically a repeat of the very section of the manifesto which had prompted me to contact them in the first place. It’s sole statement with relation to Freight Transport was that it should all go on the rails. So in the meantime I guess those of us providing this vital service can go to hell.

Whilst the transferal of freight onto rail is environmentally laudable, it is also unrealistic. The rail infrastructure in this country would need huge investment in order to be able to cope with any mass introduction of additional freight, and the fact that this is cost-prohibitive has been cited by all 3 parties time and time again as the reason why it isn’t actually happening. Bearing that in mind, surely it is rather short sighted for the Party to continue to bang this particular drum?

Taking the whole thing a step further, even if this “Freight on Rail” eutopia were to become reality, trucks would still be needed…unless someone seriously thinks that it’s a good idea to build a railhead behind every shop and factory up and down the land…? Thought not. In which case the problems remain, only the specifics will differ. And, oh look, there’s no policy to address them. Whoops!!! :unamused:

It’s an ongoing vicious circle, and one which affects every man, woman and child in this country. A few points to consider:

• People expect drivers to observe laws that ensure road safety and adequate rest - yet they persist in supporting the sale of lorry parks by local councils in order to raise funds.
  • They then object to those “homeless” lorries parking in any place they can find - yet your website makes NOT ONE mention of the fact that provision within the town is, by your own admission, inadequate.
  • These same people want and need the goods that the trucks carry, the goods which they consume at every turn in their day to day lives, the goods which the very fabric of their houses are built from, the goods which enable their businesses to operate and provide them all with jobs - yet they only want trucks in their towns when they are physically delivering…they would rather they were invisible the rest of the time, as they are (in the residents’ eyes) a nuisance.
  • People want affordable goods in the shops - yet they fail to realise that by failing to address the fuel tax situation they are raising hauliers’ costs, costs which are ultimately passed onto the end user…the consumer.
  • They want to buy British and support this country’s growth - yet nothing is done to counter the unfair competition coming in every day from abroad, led by foreign hauliers with lower costs on an utterly un-level playing field.
  • Last but not least, they object when a left hand drive vehicle rams their people carrier or 4x4 because they cannot be seen hovering in the truck’s blind spot - and still they don’t stop to wonder why there are so many of these vehicles - which were not built for our roads - in the country in the first place.

I could go on like this all day, but I think I’ve made my point. My question remains. When are the Lib Dems going to come up with a topical, achieveable and relevant Freight Transport policy?

If you can answer me that one question, I would be a much more convinced woman. :wink:

I would be a much more convinced woman

a woman convinced ! ooh look fairies at the bottom of my garden :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

another long term Lib Dem voter here :open_mouth: ( and living in a marginal seat :wink: )

Lucy has managed to put the point much better than I can, but I would like to hear the answer to her question…

Having asked the Lablur party to come and have an opinion on here its nice to see the guy actually came and expressed himself unlike the others.

Knowing the particular layby, it is a right mess.

The verges are chewed to hell because for some reason drivers insist on pulling onto the grass, no idea why the layby is plenty wide enough.

Urine dumped there when there is a 24H tesco with 24h loos 100 yards away! :unamused:

Wagons/coaches have parked there as long as i can remember, but past couple of years it’s become a right ■■■■ hole.

Go a few hundred yards past Tesco and there is a nice wide stretch of road which is deserted after the Channel tunnel and imigration people have left their offices, with no houses neaby. :wink:

I can sympathise with the residents of cheriton…as an international driver of many years…one of the problems stems from the port of dover …whilst they are quite prepared to claim back the sea…for their own financial gain…ie; to build more berths…they have indeed driven the truck from the parking area that used to be…a few years ago there was no problem with parking in dover…in fact most of us looked forward to meeting up in the wheelhouse with a pint of beer and tell of our travels…along with a good meal…not forgetting the hotel across the road…for afters…however with the eastern bloc drivers claiming three quarters of the parking spaces…using all the facilities…and not contributing a penny towards the upkeep …we eventually lost it…folkestone harbour is £10 a night…but full most nights…ashford truckstop is accommodating for most, although i never have to stop there…so if leaving the dover area via the m20…there is only a couple of places for the eastern blocker to park…and even they struggle to fill the layby…often blocking the exit/entrance to the layby…after ashford we then have clackett lane…and there again mostly full by 1900hrs…where next …well the major motorway service areas are generally full, and only leaves the foreigner to find alternative laybys off the beaten track…for they do not pay for parking…and i will join them to say …neither do i…
as lucy states in her post …this country is not geared up for so many trucks to ply our roads…why have an operating system for our own vehicles if johnny foreigner can send as many trucks as he wishes …i believe that with so many extra vehicles on our roads…i have seen untold damage to the road structures …and one which this government is not addressing…regardless of the amount of revenue Gordon rakes in…wheres johnny foreigners contribution
lets bring the french or germans in …they would have a system up and running in no time whereby every truck contributes…maybe then our roads can be as good as the rest of europe…maybe we can also have more parking areas in between the services (something the government promised) and free of charge…this government is not addressing the problem …and with local elections coming up…vote with your X

truckyboy:
and with local elections coming up…vote with your X

Well said, but then who do you vote for? Neither of the parties are interested in Low Life Truck Drivers who are 2 a penny and prepared to work for peanuts and put up with all the crap thrown at them.

Until the Main Parties start accepting that the Transport Industry is Vital, and Drivers are just as important and also need to be treat with respect, this Country will never move Forward.

We have a Media service such as TV and Radio that never publicise the Positive aspects but relish in the Negatives stirring up the Anti Trucking Comminity into a Frenzy each time they report the Trucks carrying 44Tons of Cargo through Towns and Cities, after all, they never take the time to find out that the truck was only actually carrying 2 ton and the 44 Ton was its Max Gross Weight. As long as its always given in a bad light the Transport Industry will never move forward. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Whilst I do not agree with all of Mr Prator’s arguments, I do applaud his move of coming on here to try and explain the issues that are of concern.

I can empathise with the local resident’s comments; it seems to me that this area (like much of this country) lacks vital facilities for drivers.

I would suggest that the campaign should be focussed on the Government to try and improve facilities. I am sure that most of us on here would add weight to such a campaign.

When are the Lib Dems going to come up with a topical, achieveable and relevant Freight Transport policy?

Not too long after we start to have conversations like this that help actually discuss the problems - with people who understand them becuase they work with them. I’m no lorry driver, and [sat currently in Lib Dem conference in Harrogate] guess very few other people here are either.

But your point is exactly right - and not limited to the Lib Dems. The record of all parties over the last 20 years of dealing with these issues seems to be rotten - there does need to be an understanding of the issues and some joined up thinking.

As an example:

Legislation forces lorries to stop more regularly.
There therefore needs to be places for people to stop.
Therefore we’ll make it hard to get planning permission for new sites and allow existing sites to be sold for other development.
…hang on…

Working out ways of dealing with these issues in a joined up way is essential - because there is no question you are right - lorries are going to be the way the majority of goods are got around the country for any forseeable future (more rail as part of the mix would be good in my view, but for all the reasons you give, will never replace lorries).

As such we should be looking at ways of ensuring that drivers have the facilities to do their job - safely, and without causing other problems. The lack of parking sites is one. Signposting of sites may be another. Charging for those sites. Enforcing a level playing field (properly) so that UK and overseas drivers are “competing” fairly.

There are lots of problems to be discussed which will have more awkward solutions. The practical response to saying left hand drive lorries can’t operate in the UK would be to say that right hand drive lorries shouldn’t operate outside the UK. This would undoubtably improve road safety - but may have some objectors…

But all of these things will only actually get discussed, and got into policy, then hopefully action, if people like those in this forum get active in parties locally and nationally (any party - we’re all not dealing with this issue at the moment) and get into the policy discussion process, perhaps we’ll end up with some rational decisions being made.

Finally, as this started, I’m a local campaigner in Folkestone. I was running a specific campaign to deal with unsuitable parking in a specific road. The responses I’ve received from drivers - lots of positive, some less so :wink: - have made me interested in looking at this wider issue in the Lib Dem party - which hopefully may come up with some useful ideas (like, for example, there being proper lorry parking provision built into any service station development). I hope I can help - a bit.

Tim Prater
Shepway Lib Dems

“We agree that drivers need somewhere to park- just not here”

I doubt there is any householder or local councillor anywhere in the country who would say any different. Where is Shepway’s new lorry park going to be built Tim?

Or does LibDem “joined-up-thinking” not go as far as that?

But all of these things will only actually get discussed, and got into policy, then hopefully action, if people like those in this forum get active in parties locally and nationally (any party - we’re all not dealing with this issue at the moment) and get into the policy discussion process, perhaps we’ll end up with some rational decisions being made.

That, I suppose, is what this boils down to. I really should just stop mithering and get on with it. After all, you’ve got to be in it to change it…